INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 66' prototype has found a home  (Read 3567 times)

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
66' prototype has found a home
« on: August 28, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
What is the cost of a one of a kind 1966 protype of the '67 Super Kodiak

61# Browning Cobra II & Green Stripe Custom Takedown with 70# green tip limbs  

What do you get for that?

1966 Kodiak with all Phenolic riser, no caps, and standard '66 Brown glass

This is a historic event...not because of the one of a kind bow...but because I finally got to figure out PhotoBucket.  By the grace of God and a computer genius son, I finally did it.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 66' prototype has found a home
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
Congratulations Jack! Figuring out PhotoBucket is a son of a gun! Oh, nice bow too! LOL
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
Yeah...figuring out photBucket surpasses getting the bow.

The good news is that I have finally figured out PhotoBucket.

The bad news is that I have finally figured out PhotoBucket.

Only time will tell what kind of monster I have unleashed.

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline seboomook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 07:37:00 AM »
Looks like two milestones passed. Congrats on both!

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
Jack -

Nice going on both counts.

Welcome to the 21st century and the world of digital images in your posts. All the gyrations with loading images on Photobucket then copying and pasting the link in a post can be confusing, especially the first few hundred times.      :rolleyes:    

Glad the Kodiak prompted you to go through the pain of figuring out photobucket.

Guess the first questions would be... Is the bow built on the same form as the 1966 Kodiak? And do you have have a 66 Kodiak of the same length to make an exact comparison?

In one of the images the previous owner posted of your Phenolic Riser 66, it looked like there was a black lamination between the maple core lamination and black phenolic. Or was that just the light in the photograph?

During the 1990s, I remember seeing an early phenolic riser Bear, that was made before the Super Kodiak. The riser was brown phenolic if I remember correctly. I don't remember now which year form that bow was built on. Will have to call the owner and have him refresh my memory on that bow.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
The story behind the discovery

Dyebow had a Dale Dye bow for sale. (Uh, can you figure how he came up with his online name)

He was contacted by a guy that had just won a '66 Kodiak with factory camo on e8ay.  He asked Dyebow if he would take it in trade for his Dale Dye.  The guy had just won it and had not yet made shipping arrangements.  Dyebow agreed to that trade so the guy had the seller ship it straight to Dyebow.  He never even saw it.

When the bow came in, Dyebow decided that he did not like the factory camo so he decided to strip it.  He was removing the paint wit MinWax paint remover.  He started removing th pain in one spot expecting to see the standard wood, but came up with solid black.  He figured it was a black undercoat that just would not come off.  He continued on that spot for a while but was getting no where.  He removed more paint on the riser until he came up wit this.

About now was when he realized that he had something other than a standard '66 Kodiak Camo bow.

Eventually the situation found its way to this Forum under the following URL (worth a read to catch up)

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=004102  

somewher in there I made a commet that I would swap him for any two of my Bear bows, with the exception of two, and any Bear collector would probably make him that same offer.  I was just trying to emphasize the rareity of what he had.  I had no thoughts of ending up with the bow.  I also stated that I would like to see more pictures and hear the story of how he came by it, figuring he would post it on the discussion thread.

Next thing I know, I got an e-mail from him with additional pictures, and the story I told above.  He also stated that he was interested in knowing what two bows I would be eilling to swap for.

I sent him many pictures of bows I though would interest him from the group pictired here.

This is about 1/2 my collection and some of the bow pics I sent him are on other racks.

Dyebow (aka TOM) and I talked and traded e-mails for a couple of days and had pretty much settled on my Greenstripe takedown with 70# limbs, plus cash from him...well, that was before he got flooded with e-mail offers from other collectors here for swaps and out right purchases.  I finally stepped up and offered an even swap for my takedown.  He said that was acceptable but wanted to wait a couple of hours to think about it.  I made him a three minute offer to throw in a 61# Browning Cabra I to seal the deal right now.  He accepted that.  Tom would have made a great horse trader.    Tom is a great guy amd was great to deal with.  I could have gotten a lot better trade if all the other collectors would have stayed out of it, but that's what gave tom his negatiating room.

I think we both left the trade happy campers.  I hope he jumps in hers and corrects any misstatements I may have made.

I will post more pictures of the bow later.

Tom, thanks for trading to me.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
Jack,

I believe you may have misunderstood me on the phone, I didn't say prototypes had a "P"... for the serial number...

I mentioned that many of the Experimental Bear bows have "EXP" written on them.

I'm guessing all you heard was the "P" and that you were so excited about this bow, that you were on overload when we talked. That's understandable.  

Your serial number is 6L2236

That is a 100% typical serial number for a 60" 1966 Kodiak

For 1966, the serial number means...

The "6" means 1966
The "L" means 60" Kodiak
The 2236 is the number of the bow in the sequential numbering of the 60" 1966 Kodiaks

The serial numbering pattern changed many times through the production of the Kodiaks from 1950 through 1966. It is going to take several pages in the book to explain all the changes for all the years for all the Bear bows.

I have a 60" 1966 Kodiak with the serial number 6L3156, which logically was made 1,120 after your 6L2236 bow was made.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
Jack -

In trying to classify bows in a consistent and understandable manner, I try to identify each bow by using the year of the form the bow was built on.

A good example is the  

1957 White Glass Kodiak

It is the identical bow to the 1957 brown glass Kodiak, it just has white glass.

Your bow was made on a 1966 Kodiak form and has a 1966 Kodiak serial number. Accurately it would be correctly called a

1966 Kodiak Phenolic Riser.

There actually was at least one Prototype / Experimental of the Super Kodiak that was made.

It has a completely different riser than a 1966 Kodiak. And although it has a different riser than the 67-1/2 Super Kodiak, it is noticeably similar to the 67-1/2 Super Kodiak.

I'm not trying to take anything away from your bow, it is just plain cool in its own right.

I'm just trying to get all of us to speak a common and understandable language by making reference to bows made on the same form, as being the same year bows, which in fact they are.

Hope I haven't over explained this to the point of confusion.

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
Jack,
  Congrats on getting the bow. Very Cool.

I guess Bear Workers in 1966 were feeling creative....

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 05:56:00 PM »
Nice'un Old School

Wade

As soon as I can I will get some good pics with my '65. '66 Kodiaks, and my '68 Super K.  I don't have a '67 Black Knight...well I guess I have a 66 Black Knight now.

The history of these bows are so interesting.  The one you pictured that was Bowdoc's. the one above from Old School, and below is  a picture of what is supposed to be the "Red Kodiak". but I don't think that is what it is.

The bow I have was in circulation for 44 years and no one had a clue what was under the paint until Tom discovered it.  How many '66 Camo Kodiaks might be hiding a semilar treasure.  I'll bet everyone that has one and has seen these posts is getting out the Acetone.

Doc told me that there were some '64 Kodiaks that had rosewood risers, and Bear painted them and sold them as Camo model just to not release them to the public as rosewood models.  I have a 45# '64 Kodiak so withing 5 minutes of getting off the phone with him I had removed the arrow plate off and was rubbing in Acetone.  My heart raced as the first thing that came up was black.  Whoaaaa..a '64 Phenolic Kodiak?  No, a layer of black under coating.  A little more rubbing revealed Bubinga.  I had to know, and now I have another arrow plate orderd to cover the spot.  

In any case, they are what they are. A one of a kind, or run of the mill...I never met a recurve I din't like.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »
OldSkoolArcher -

For you 64" 1966 Kodiak

The "6" means 1966 just like Jack's bow

The "S" means 64" Kodiak

All of the 64" 1966 Kodiaks that I remember seeing and have recorded also starts with a 6S  serial number.

On your bow, I am uncertain exactly what the "8II" designates. It may mean 811 or something entirely different.

You need to remember that anyone could write any thing on any bow at any time when the bow is made or later. That's why I have never accepted serial numbers as an absolute.

The #1 absolute in determining the year of any Bear bow is the form it was built on.

Once the bow is built, that can not be changed and is forever the DNA of a bow...

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
Wade Thanks.

Offline huntnfool62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:  I know why Tom wanted a green stripe!
And you are right jack he is a very nice guy .

Huntnfool

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 07:18:00 PM »
They don't come much better

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
Jack, Nice Looking Collection. Especially like those bow racks!

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
Thanks Larry.

I have room to ad a nice dark '63 Kodiak Magnum Dogled if you know of one needing a home.

Offline Double Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
Jack,

Congrats on the trade. On the pic of your collection, which bow is so important you have it covered?

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
DC

That is a '63 60" Dogleg, in mint condition, with the most irredescent bubing I have ever seen on a bow.  In th sunlight it shimmers with reflection.

It is the only one I keep covered to protect the luster.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
Congratulations, Jack. I wondered who would end up with that bow. I'm glad it got a good home..
   Wade- you referred to the prototype Super K. Mr. Bear is shown in several photos shooting a phenolic Super that is considerably different than the final production models. It lacks the counter balancing cut in on the bottom limb and the bottom of the riser overlay is quite wide- similar to the later T/D in that area. Do you know anything about that bow? It is also featured on the cover of the first edition of The Archer's Bible.
  Jack- congrats again- I didn't intend to hijack the thread.  GY

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »
Not a problem Grant...it all falls under the topic.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©