INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 66' prototype has found a home  (Read 3572 times)

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 66' prototype has found a home
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
I don't post hear a lot but I do read almost every topic. Tough decesion to make leave the camo or see whats under it.

Glad it's not my decesion and congrats on your piece of history.

doug77

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Missaukee:
Often Historians have to lose something to gain information. If you want to learn about ancient cultures, you have to disturb burial sites. I don't own a factory camo bow, but I would like to, and I would not strip. However, by stripping this bow a very cool, possibly one of a kind bow was discovered. The info has been gained, other than what model it might be called. One could say that stripping all the factory camo bows could reveal a lot more. But, the only point would be if it were to be documented in a book. I don't see that happening, as many collectors are reluctant to share knowledge and end up taking it to their grave. I am not referring to Al Reader of course, as he was very generous with knowledge.

In the end, I see it as a bow that has had its factory camo ruined. I believe if I owned it I would strip it. I don't see any significance in the camo other than the fact that it was there, we know that. The significance is what was under the camo, that is the true spirit of the bow. I would however object to lowering the shelf, I think that should only be done to bows with holes or other damage! Good Luck with your decision.
Well said.....
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
Don't be offended Jim, I was not implying that was your intention.  Just stating that my intention was nothing financial, more of wanting to get it placed right.  May have made a mistake for my purposes.

You and I do share a common opinion of what should be done with this one.  Matter of fact, you kanda made me see the light.  As I recall, when Tom first posted it it my initial reaction was to remove all of the camo.  Comments by you and others changed my opinion.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
I certainly do appreciate all of the input (Pos/Neg) about the bow, even though Papalapin has made his public statement (twice) that he made a mistake.
I am not offended and it's forgotten in my mind.

I wish you ALL a Happy and Blessed Easter......Philip
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
I actually made that statement once.  But I also said "You da man now>  Your call.

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2011, 06:06:00 PM »
Donnie "BD",
The 66 proto pictured does not belong to me.
My dear friend is the current owner.
It is pictured between my 66 and 67.
I posted it for referance to show where the black beauty will reside......Philip

TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »
Point of clarification.

I tend to state things in such a way that people misunderstand my meaning, such as Jims misunderstanding my statement above.

I have no "Ill Will" toward Philip in any way. Just a strong difference in opinion.

Philip and I never really discussed the fate of the bow, which maybe we should have.  If we had agreed that the bow would not be stripped, and then he changed his mind and went against our agreemnet, that would be a different story...but that is not the case.  He is now the proud owner and custodian of this piece of history, so it is his decision as to what to do with it.  I strongly hope he leaves it as is.  If my statements sound rather strong about it "would still be hanging on my rack" it's becasue I fell strongly about what should be done with it.  If I just said "I think it should stay as it is" then it would not dramatize how strongly I feel about the situation.  That's all there is to it.

I had the honor of it hanging on my wall for a time and I really enjoyed having it...never shot it though.

I also hope that Philip will bring it to Denton Hill so others can see and enjoy it.  I know I will never get to go there so at least maybe the bow will now.

One of my points is that if it is stripped, it can never be put back to the way it is now, and it can always be stripped later.  But, once it's done, it's done.

I still love ya, brother...just hope you make the right decision.  Remember...you are entitled to your own opinion, no matter how "WRONG" you are.  In the long run, the only opinion that matters to me is "Mine"...LOL

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »
1.  That is not "Left over 1966 brown glass" That is the color of the Kodiaks that year and this bow was made in '66.  I KNOW Bear had black glass in stock that year, and other colors for that matter.  Nothing "left over" about that color

2.  That bow is not "Scarce".  It is an only one of a kind.  A mega collectible bow.

Bottem line here is that Philip is now the sole decision maker on this issue.  If he does strip it I will have something to yank hs chain about.

I guess none of us should get our panties in a wad over it, although it probably seems that I have, but not really

Offline Steve95

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
This bow could have a coat of finish placed over the factory camo. The bow with all its history is then protected and it can be shot as well. I did this with my last 66' camo, used a satin after fixing a few checks. It turned out great and it drills sweet arrows on target. The camo will help with hunting!
Taking the camo off? Why not just have a bow built like what you would like to remake this bow into. I know a guy that can make it for you.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
Steve

I think you totally missed the point.

Offline ahandle70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2011, 11:39:00 PM »
If in doubt....leave it alone.  Another one might turn up and it can be stripped down.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
I think I have done Phil a disservice here.

While I have an opinion on what should be done with this unique piece of traditional history, it is his bow now and it is completely his call on what should be done with it.  I lost my vote on it when I sold it to him.

Phil, I appologize for, and retract, my comments above.  You have my blessing to handle it as you see fit.

Left alone, it will be a great example of Bear history.  Stripped down it will be a beautiful additionto your collection.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
Come on, I wanna see what's under that green paint.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Hoof

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
Well stated...X2

Originally posted by Missaukee:
Often Historians have to lose something to gain information. If you want to learn about ancient cultures, you have to disturb burial sites. I don't own a factory camo bow, but I would like to, and I would not strip. However, by stripping this bow a very cool, possibly one of a kind bow was discovered. The info has been gained, other than what model it might be called. One could say that stripping all the factory camo bows could reveal a lot more. But, the only point would be if it were to be documented in a book. I don't see that happening, as many collectors are reluctant to share knowledge and end up taking it to their grave. I am not referring to Al Reader of course, as he was very generous with knowledge.

In the end, I see it as a bow that has had its factory camo ruined. I believe if I owned it I would strip it. I don't see any significance in the camo other than the fact that it was there, we know that. The significance is what was under the camo, that is the true spirit of the bow. I would however object to lowering the shelf, I think that should only be done to bows with holes or other damage! Good Luck with your decision.

Offline ahandle70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
Leave it as you found it...there is no way you can ever bring it back to it's original state!

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
She's looking better each day   :thumbsup:  .....Philip
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2011, 12:36:00 PM »
Hey Phil

It's your bow...it's your call

Either way it is still what it is...just don't shave off two pounds

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »
Update:
The process has begun.
The ruined camo paint has been completely removed. The bow has been protected well all these years and is like new. No holes, dents or dings. Nothing. Like new.

It will recieve a fresh coat of varnish and original plate and rug rest installed.
I will hunt with it a little this season and then retire it to the collection....Philip
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
I would also lieve or is it leave it as I found it if it were not such a beautiful diamond in the rough under that nasty old camo paint bear charged and extra $5.00 the nerve of those guys.
Lets just say a fairly good old time diamond cutter could get all the camo off and bam out pops a beautiful much rares now then before kodiak.Mine was camo for 46 years too and I finaly decided last year to remove some factory camo paint and see what I had.Mine loves being naked bd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©