INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 66' prototype has found a home  (Read 3575 times)

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 66' prototype has found a home
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by the real bowdoc:
OMG I don't know Phil the more work I get into her the better she looks.I had so much wet sanding yesterday that I missed the spray schedule last night so I'll keep you posted in a couple hours.........hiho hiho its off to spray bows I go......yeah right bd
That's OK Donnie. No rush.
I was so happy to see the pictures you posted.

When you get a chance, can you weigh the bow for me?
She was labeled #57. Wonder if the weight held up these past 45 years.......Philip
You are the MASTER Donnie.
PS: Thanks so much for being there for all of us!
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2011, 06:59:00 AM »
oh hell yeah this is worth getting up early for........bd    

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
Donnie, the bow looks beautiful!
The contrast is really something else.......philip

PS: Feel free to shoot it.....Enjoy!
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
It would have been criminal to not remove the rest of the camo paint on this bow. It would have been just another 66 camo Kodiak.

What a very special Kodiak she is. Her beauty and significance would have never been known or seen. I am still confident that she was tabbed to be a 1967 Kodiak.

Any chance to scale it yet Don? Wonder where she's at.
And I sent you a PM Don regarding bear T/D sockets.
Thanks Donnie.......Philip
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »
hey Phil I am getting more like 55# on my scale fact is just a shade over 55# but not 56# ? I got a ton of chit going down today but I'll check back at lunch time and see what you think mark it 55# or 57# ? gees'zus that bow is so beautiful man oh man am I ever happy to have had a chance to see it in person.That would have been a down right shame to have left it butt ugly factory camo guys sorry but its true.Phil I also beleave those bows were ment to be 1967 Kodiaks but bear had to make some changes bd

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
Today was the first time I clicked on this thread and I started on page 1 and didn't post this until reading bd's post from yesterday. With that being said, I was on Jack's side for the first 5 pages or so, then with all of the info started to ride the fence. Then I seen what bd had done and I jumped as far as I could to Phil's side,lol. That bow is a beauty. I had a factory camo Grizzly that I traded, for a fly rod of all things, that I now wish I would of had a lil bit of paint taken off just to see the wood underneath. The only reason that I got rid of it was because I didn't really like the camo paint, but I didn't know that there was a finished bow underneath the camo paint. Oh well, live and learn right? Congrats on an AWESOME bow to everyone involved in finding this bow from start to finish. BTW I did read the whole thread and I am not trying to start anything with saying "Jack's side and Phil's side", I realize that in the end everyone is on the same side here. Thanks for listening to the rambling, Mike.
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
NICE!!!
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2011, 06:50:00 AM »
Phil what you thinking on that draw weight ? mark it 55#.I only have to reletter it and she's ready to head home ???? I have 14 jobs to letter this AM and will check back at lunch time bd

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
Hi Donnie.
Is  the bow coming in at 55#?
If so. YES. It should be recorded what weight she is at. I put together a little "booklet tag" that I will attach to the bow.
It has some detail info as well as pics of it's camo past.
This bow is not only a rare missing link that will find it's place between my 66 and 67 1/2 Super Kodiak, being 55# and 60" is amazing as every other bow in my collection is the same.
For me, it was a great "by chance" find.
Thanks Don..............Philip
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »
hey Phil I screwed up well not real bad but just the same really pee'd me off.Would you be so kind as to post the serial number for me ? I know its 60" 55# but I can not find the ser.# in my book ? bd

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
Hi Donnie. I need advice on painting the sockets and yokes on a green stripe riser.....I appreciate your advice Brother.......Philip
6L2236
60"
I am still shakin my head how that bow came in at 55#..........LUV IT!

TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2011, 07:50:00 AM »
thanks my brother.....were you thinking something like this on the sockets or high gloss black ? bd                            

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
Donnie.
They look amazing.
The krinkle finish is very nice.
Can you advise me on how to do it?
Thank You Don..........Philip
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »
look at thread the good looking 1970's 1980's TD's bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2011, 02:38:00 PM »
Phil everything did not go so good on the proto finish.I have 2 small spots right near the fadeout (please see pics) that the finish did not stick cleanly to yesterday.I'll have to wet sand and respray the bow to make sure those get coverd.The problem is it takes 48 hours for the finish to cure but I'll be gone next week for 10 days to 2 weeks to take my grandkids hunting...I could wet sand it out now and hope those spots come out but I'am pretty certin they will not come out.And I know you would not be happy with me....I know I sure would not be.
I guess my question to you is do you want to take the chance now and me try and finish it or could you hold out for about 2 weeks to enjoy this little gem ? bd  

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2011, 03:52:00 PM »
Phil everything did not go so good on the proto finish.I have 2 small spots right near the fadeout (please see pics) that the finish did not stick cleanly to yesterday.I'll have to wet sand and respray the bow to make sure those get coverd.The problem is it takes 48 hours for the finish to cure but I'll be gone next week for 10 days to 2 weeks to take my grandkids hunting...I could wet sand it out now and hope those spots come out but I'am pretty certin they will not come out.And I know you would not be happy with me....I know I sure would not be.
I guess my question to you is do you want to take the chance now and me try and finish it or could you hold out for about 2 weeks to enjoy this little gem ? bd              
Donnie,
Go hunting with your family. The bow can wait.
In fact,
I would love to see you kneeling next to an animal (dead animal that is) with that 66/67 BLACK BEAUTY in your hand! Take the bow and have fun with it before sending it back.
Luv ya Brother >>>---------->
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: August 27, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »
Philip,

You have some great looking bows!  That "new" Black Beauty will fit right in with the others!!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by vintage-bears:

Donnie,
Go hunting with your family. The bow can wait.
In fact,
I would love to see you kneeling next to an animal (dead animal that is) with that 66/67 BLACK BEAUTY in your hand! Take the bow and have fun with it before sending it back.
Luv ya Brother >>>----------> [/b]
Hey Donnie,
glad your back home! Hope you had a terrific hunt. I love the grip work you did on those T/D risers. Real nice!   :clapper:  
Is the black beauty coming East soon?
Would love to take her in the woods this fall.
  :archer2:  .......Philip
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2011, 07:31:00 AM »
Phil I am almost caught up and working hard on getting this little gem finished off hand polished and headed your way this week talk soon bro bd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©