INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Dulling down those beautiful high gloss finishes  (Read 423 times)

Offline manfromthepast

• Trad Bowhunter
Dulling down those beautiful high gloss finishes
« on: August 30, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
I love the high gloss finishes on my classic bows, but don't like that high gloss when hunting.  I just sprayed my hunting bow with Krylon Glass Frosting.  It leaves a very flat/dull semi-transparent finish and comes off easily with just a little paint thinner.  No need to use paint stripper or really aggressive solvent that could damage the underlying original finish.  It is definitely way easier to remove than camo spray paint and seems like it may be a good option.  Don't know if any of you have ever tried it.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dulling down those beautiful high gloss finishes
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
I tell my customers to use Johnsons paste wax. Wipe it on everything then let it dry to a haze which is very dull.
Once the season is over you can use more Johnsons paste wax to remove the dry wax and shine your bow.No need for paint or paint thinner bd

Offline manfromthepast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
BD - I used to use Butcher's paste wax the same way you use Johnson's, but it seemed like every time the bow rubbed on something like a bowsock or your clothing that it started to polish up and become shiny again. Not that reapplying wax is any big deal, but sometimes you don't notice how the shine has come back until you are someplace where you can't do anything about it. I never used Johnsons but maybe it lasts longer than Butchers.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
thats something I never thought about but your right it would kind of shine it up from riding in a bow sock.The Johnsons is a bit harder to remove even when rebuffing the bow so it may hold up a bit longer.I never tried butchers wax bd

Offline NumPls

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
On my first bow, I would rub the limbs with paraffin (I bought a small box of "blocks" at the local hardware store - in the canning section). That was a long time ago, so I do not recall exactly how I took it off, but I do not remember having any problems with it, either.

Ray

Offline Ravenhood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
Keep the ideas coming, Bow shine has always been a problem for me.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »
Limb skins from Alaska Bowhunting supply. You can pull them all the way down to the strike plate and over the grip if you wish but your gloved hand covers that part anyway.. Protects from scratches, very snug and keeps the value of the finish if you ever want to sell it.
Otherwise, don't spray anything onto it, lightly rub it down with auto rubbing compound. It will dull it right up the more you rub. Then to bring the shine back one day, just rub it with a high quality auto polishing compound. Presto, shiny like new.
David M. Conroy

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 12:27:00 AM »
I like the limbskins as well. They camo the bow and protect it.

Offline 69RECURVE

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
This is a no brainer. Limb skins.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©