INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Strike plate - repair or replace?  (Read 358 times)

Offline bctgrad

• Trad Bowhunter
Strike plate - repair or replace?
« on: August 31, 2010, 07:27:00 AM »
My strike plate has a spot where a piece of tape was removed that left a rough spot (not tape residue, it actually removed the leather finish).  The rest of the plate is in nice shape and since it appears to be an original I don’t want to replace it.  Can this be buffed out or am I stuck with the way it looks?  Or am I making a big deal about nothing and should just replace it with one of the reproduction plates?

Thanks,
Brian

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Strike plate - repair or replace?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
I would retain the original at all costs.  You may want to try some tan shoe polish to try and disquise it or go to Tandy leather to see if they have anything.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
Don't chuck that sideplate Brian.I got this '59' grizzly and it had some bad tape marks on the grip leather.I used some "Basics" acrylic,artist tube paint in "sienna" color and painted over it.

Basics is a budget acrylic paint.I bought it at Michaels craft store.Our Wally World used to sell it.The sienna in other brands is not the right color.

It may sound wierd to paint leather but understand that this paint soaks into the leather and dries as a very flexible vinyl like film.I have restored sideplates and handle leather on '54' and '57' Kodiaks and this Grizzly.It blends in well and wears well.I imagine it makes the leather water resistant.Acrylic paint,though water based,doesn't rehydrate once dry.

I wish I had a before picture of this bow to show you.I made the sideplate and colored that with the same acrylic.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
Remember,that grip leather was badly two-toned before the paint.The acrylic is so easy to apply.Brush it on or wipe it on.After it dries,you can buff it with a paper towel if you want.The stuff is opaque.That's how it covers the dark and light.It fills in the dry looking areas too and makes them match the surrounding leather.It doesn't change the look or feel of the leather.It just evens everything out but keeps that aged color.

Here is what the stuff looks like.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
Oh yeah-RAW sienna,not BURNT sienna,which is much darker.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »
That bow is too pretty to be in original condition.  If it is, DON'T TOUCH IT.

If it has been refinished, then I see no problem with replacing the arrow plate, although it does not look that bad.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline bctgrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
Jack, it is all original.

Here's the story:   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=004132

I plan on using the bow.  Should I remove the strike plate, put it in a safe place and use a reproduction when I shoot it?

Brian

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
That strike plate doesen't look bad at all,but if it's making you crazy try that raw siena looks like it worked well for JimB. jmho

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
I agree with the "leave it as is" advice. I do have a few that I'm going to try the basics sienna on though.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
Yep, I'd leave it too.

That site window is just GORGEOUS!!!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste