INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Papau New Guinea bows and arrows  (Read 334 times)

Offline CHO

• Trad Bowhunter
Papau New Guinea bows and arrows
« on: September 24, 2010, 09:11:00 AM »
i had a look at some local bows and arrows that are supposed to be from papau new guinea.

can you guys give me any idea if they llok real and what you think they are worth?

here is the link to the youtube video with the pics and vid

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Papau New Guinea bows and arrows
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
GO to Ashby's post on Papua New Guinea. He has some interesting stuff and photos on it which might help.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
I have a bow and some arrows that i bought in Jakarta,Indonesia at the '95 World Archery championships from a display booth from the island of Irian Jaya.The bow is palmwood and arrows were some kind of cane very long and had points of palmwood and some bamboo points and no fletching.the bowstring was a flat segment of rattan "skin".the bow and arrrows appear dark or black from a distance because of the accumulation of soot from the constant cooking fires in their huts and the bows and arrows being stored in the ceiling bacame dark because of this.I have seen this also from the bows of Aetas here in the Philippines as I had volunteered in their resettlement areas after Mt. Pinatubo errupted.

I think what's in the video are reproductions,the bow and arrow points look like palmwood but the shafts look like wood.also ,the binding near the points are very short,and quite crude while the Papua arrows i have had much longer wrapped sections and were "pretty" as is the Aeta arrows.Ill try to post pics tommorrow.
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
I know I've seen that wood before. Someone hauled it to the MOBOJAM several years back along with some other wood(black Palm I believe).

There were quite a few folks there trying to duplicate those longbows.

The arrows in the video looked like their fore shafts were made of the same material as the bow. Several looked very wicked but the coolest to me was that "thumper" of a blunt.

I would be one of the last people in the world to ask if they were original or not.

I liked the video but wished that it had shown one being shot.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline CHO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »
Would like to see pics of the ones you have seen or have

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©