INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Help me identify this bow...  (Read 326 times)

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Help me identify this bow...
« on: September 30, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
Okay, it's a John McCullough, I know that much but I've never seen one like it.  It is a mild R/D longbow but with wide limbs and it's ambidextrous.  There are shelves on both sides of the riser.  It's 62" and 58#@28".  Condition is good although there are some finish nicks and scratches and the leather handgrip is stained.  Wood appears to be osage.  Any idea when this was made and an approximate value?  I'm attaching some photos.

Thanks,
John

Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help me identify this bow...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »
John, John McCullough built some mighty fine wood bows back in the early to mid 90's. It does look like osage, Is it rawhide backed? the condition sounds fine, if you want to seal the dinds just touch them up with your choice of clear coats after you sand them smoothe. Value is percieved but they are not made any more and you have a bow made by one of the best bowyers around.
I hope this helps.
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help me identify this bow...
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
Chuck,
Thanks for the info.  I bought the bow and after looking at it more closely I can see that the bow is backed with rawhide.  It is so well done that the grain of the wood shows through.  It cleaned up well.

Thanks again,
John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©