INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Removing a glued-on arrow rest  (Read 1155 times)

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
Removing a glued-on arrow rest
« on: October 02, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
I just picked up an older Bear Polar bow, in spectacular condition, for what I think was a great deal on my end.  

I've got to remove the old brush-style rest, and I want it to look like it was never there.  There's a lot of glue holding it on, and it's probably been on for 30 years! How can I do this without damaging the riser?
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Removing a glued-on arrow rest
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 04:04:00 PM »
You might try some Goo Gone,sometimes you may have to sand it off and refinish that area.The glue it probably pretty brittle by now.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »
I've never done anything like this before with a bow, and don't want to regret whatever I do.  If I have to refinish the sight window, can I expect that it could look 'as new' and relatively imperceptible?
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
When you remove the rest, you will very likely find that the riser has darkened with age, and the area where the rest was will show up as a light spot. Usually the adhesive comes off ok with some solvent, but the only way to fix the "ghost" is to strip, sand , and refinish as the darkening is oxidation in the riser wood itself. My solution,if the finish is in good shape otherwise is to install a new strikeplate/rest that covers the area and live with it. Just my experience.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
I wouldn't worry about discoloration, or getting every bit oof.  You're gonna cover that spot with a new arrow plate anyway.

Just my thoughts.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline NJWoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
I just went through this with an old bow- start with Goo Gone, there will probably still be some residue. Then use acetone, sparingly. I would not use denatured alcohol [ again  :(  ]

Offline park

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
I think thats a good question.I had a mint 1969 super kodiak and had the same question.I have heard 8 different answers.Im still looking for the holy grail of answers on what to use.I wonder if any of the old owners manuals or books from bear have any answers.By the way what happened when you used denatured alcohol NJ WOODSMAN because thats what the guy at the bow shop used but he didnt really know either?
Thanks

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 07:11:00 AM »
as for myself the best way I find to remove old glue is to first try and soften the glue or residue up a bit.After I get the glue soft I may even go as far as to gently scrub that area with something made of plastic or wood something that does not gouge into my bows finish.There are several ways to get the glue or residue soft one would be to use 100% acetone finger nail polish remover please note I said 100% acetone finger nail polish remover not acetone nail polish remover is gentle on your hands.The problem with something like acetone is if you leave it on to long it will also sometimes kind of soften your bows finish up too and thats not good eather.
I found a great product on the internet thats the best product I've ever found to clean up old bows................hummmmmm I can't think of the name of that sight I bought it on.Its not only the best product on the market its the only product on the market formulated to remove old glue and camo paint as well as clean shine & protect......hummmmmmmmm what was the name of that sight ???????? bd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©