INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear Kodiak Hunter, Why No Respect?  (Read 965 times)

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Kodiak Hunter, Why No Respect?
« on: October 06, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
Just curious and thought I would put this out here for comment. The Kodiak Hunter is put together nicely useing quality woods and has the reputation for being a good shooter but yet it is valued like some of Bear's lesser quality bows. It doesn't seem to get the respect as the Kodiak, Super Kodiak, Kodiak Special or the Kodiak Magnum. Why is that?? Any Thoughts??

Offline C Kerley

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Kodiak Hunter, Why No Respect?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
Some bows are just more collectable than others, really not a reason why I guess.  I personally like the looks of the bows with the "horns" or "caps", that's all.  I bought a '76 KH a few months ago that is the closest to a new bow I own (I'm not sure it had EVER been shot).  

Anyhow, that bow is 50# and I can't shoot the 2216's I use in my Kodiaks (45#, 47#, & 53#)and Super K's (45# & 50#).  I had to up to a little longer 2219 to get proper flight.  It's the hardest shooting Bear I own.  

It's struck my curiousity so much I've kicked around taking it to Black Widow just to compare it to my Widows on their chronograph.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 05:27:00 PM »
I own only a 67 and I don't like the huge grip in it.It is also only 45#,when most of my other Bear are 50# or over.I don't have arrow to cover thelow poundage right now.In the last few months i have seen a little resurrection of prices about them and a good one cost more than a KMag or a Grizzly of the sane time.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
I killed a deer two years ago with a '72 but it is not the performer the Kodiaks are.  A pleasant solid shooter but not spectacular performance.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
I agree that the grip on the KH is not too appealing, but it is a good servicable bow for the price Bear was asking.  Another factor is that the numbers produced of the KH was probably more than any other model (along with Kodiak Magnum).  Personally, since it's introduction in 1967, my favorite Bears are the Super Kodiak, then the Grizzly, and next comes the KH.
Lon Scott

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
Good thoughts here, Thanks! My own feeling regarding the Kodiak Hunter is that when tuned and set up properly with the correct spined arrows it is a nice shooting bow at a bargain price. I myself like all the Bears from the 50's and 60's and in particular the 59-62 Kodiak Specials. ( Darn, only have one of those)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
one of my old hunting buddies who has since gone to hunt with Fred Glenn and the rest of the old boys shot a 1970 Kodiak Hunter marked 53# scaled dead nuts 55# however Greg was 6' 5"  and had a 32" draw so you would need to add a few pounds to his bow it actualy scaled 66-67# at Greg's draw length.
My point is at 65-67#'s of pull I would put that KH against any bow pound for pound on the market today.I had him shooting through my chrony with some aluminum arrows 125 grian field tips and it was running about 197 ft per second the best shot was 202 fps believe me thats faster then a round wheel wheeler.KH's are one of the toughest bows ever built they are almost bomb proof and for the price they sell for today there is no way a guy can go wrong with a good solid Kodiak Hunter bd  

Offline jrbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
Own two one 48# one 56# the 56 will be in the woods with me on the first day of season I own close to thirty bows with 6 being in 55-60 pound range the KH is the pick of the litter for fit,function and comfort of shooting in my case.To each their own,as long as they are only moderately popular I'll still be able to afford them so 3 cheers for the super-k and k-mag.
SAVE A STUMP SHOOT A DEER

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
Did you see the one that just sold on the auction site for $265. Someone still has some disposable income out there.
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Larry m:
Good thoughts here, Thanks! My own feeling regarding the Kodiak Hunter is that when tuned and set up properly with the correct spined arrows it is a nice shooting bow at a bargain price. I myself like all the Bears from the 50's and 60's and in particular the 59-62 Kodiak Specials. ( Darn, only have one of those)
And what exactly is there not to like about a 1963 Kodiak Special (I have one of those).
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
I started in about 1963 with a  Kodiak Hunter & still kind of like them even though I don't own one now.
Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
Frank V,

The Kodiak Hunter came out in 67. So either you or your bow were way ahead of the times.
Jack Shanks

Offline Oakdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
don't know why. just bought this bow on e bay, it's a kodiak hunter, nice bow isn't it? though I'm thinking selling it

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
OD what's the draw weight on your KH ? and is it a 1976 ? blue and grenn riser overlays ? bd

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
DamascusDave
Nothing wrong with any of the Kodiak Specials. Like I said, "I like all of the Bear's from the 50's and 60's but in particular the 59-62 Kodiak Specials". To me they just have GOOD Clean Lines.       Doc, it looks like your getting ready to do a Black Widow limb test on that sucker!!!!!!!Point well taken.........

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
Hey, Doc still has his hunting boots from this yr still on,, i cut those tracks a few times, Nice looking Bow Oak,

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 03:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jack Shanks:
Frank V,

The Kodiak Hunter came out in 67. So either you or your bow were way ahead of the times.
Shoot as I get older my mind goes south. Maybe it was a Grizzly? Anyway it was a Bear! & I still like them.
Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
Frank,

I was just messing with you. My long term memory is still pretty good it's the short term I have trouble with.

Now, what were we talking about?
Jack Shanks

Offline johnnyc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
My collection isn't as extensive as most, but out of all my bows, I find myself going back and forth between my 1964 Zebrawood grizzley and my 1970 (green glass/raised coin/60 inch) Kodiak Hunter.

Offline Oakdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by the real bowdoc:
OD what's the draw weight on your KH ? and is it a 1976 ? blue and grenn riser overlays ? bd
Sorry for the delay. I don't know what year is this bow, the serial is KH-02998. Yes it's a blue line and green riser.

50#

the pic again:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©