3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 160 gr. snuffers  (Read 1566 times)

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 160 gr. snuffers
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2007, 06:21:00 AM »
Incredible damage the 160gr Snuffer does to a critter !!

Richie, try make your arrows heavyer, they'll slow down and lose the noise.
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2007, 07:25:00 AM »
Richie- the noise might be due to a burr in one of the vents if it is that loud.  If it bothers you try one of these fixes-either take a stone or a small file and work around the vents, smoothing the edges, this could be from a very small burr.  Otherwise I know of lots of guys that put a small piece of scotch tape across the big back vents to cut the air flow.  I've used 'em since I started hunting 22 years ago and I've never worried about the noise, last sound the animal will ever hear.  Last year I shot completely through a bull moose's chest with a big Snuffer.  Back when we manufactured the heads people sent in kill pic's and I'm sure there were at least 50 elk and 15-20 bull Alaskan moose in those albums....and that was years ago.  My bull elk went approx 30 yards after I shot through a rib going in and broke through the offside front leg coming out.

R

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2007, 07:29:00 AM »
I only got to the offside ribs on this guy (twice).  One of the few animals I've not had pass through penetration on with big Snuffers.  Shooting 66lbs@29 inches, 680 gr arrow.

Ryan

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2007, 07:38:00 AM »
Nice to hear it from the "horse's" mouth.  I am shooting a 730 grain arrow with the snuffers and adapters. Also, I am pulling 66# at 30 inches similiar to yourself.  

I will keep tinkering with it to make it work.  

Thanks
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2007, 07:47:00 AM »
You got no worries with that setup and the big heads....except shooting through the critter you are aiming at and then shooting through another one behind him!  

Any imperfections in the paint job on the head could create some noise as well....are you getting similar levels of noise from several heads or have you only tried one?

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2007, 07:57:00 AM »
2 years ago I shot an old long nosed doe at about 20 yards with a "noisy" snuffer. She was so old and wise she should have been wearing support hose. Anyway, she busted me drawing on her and she was already on high alert (I don't think those old does are ever not on high alert) She was staring me down at 20 yards when I let the string slip and she never moved a muscle until the arrow was on the way out her off side shoulder. That was all the proof I'll ever need.

Get them scary sharp and go kill something!
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2007, 09:16:00 AM »
Richie: Try this, smear a little vaseline on one or two of your heads being sure to hit the edges of the vents. You need very little...just enough to leave a light film. Let us know how that works for you.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »
I have been using big snuffers for 20 years tryed diffrent heads never have been satisfied.Nothing has worked any better than snuffers NOISE thats the sound of DEATH.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2007, 11:51:00 AM »
Ryan...I have setup two out of the package and they both sound the same.  I did put tape over the vents and it was perfectly quite.  However the tape doesn't stay on long when shooting a targer.  But hunting shouldn't matter at all when only needing one shot.

I will also try the vaseline.....Thanks for the help.

I am really, really wanting to see the damage it will do.
Richie Nell

Black Widow

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »
You might be suprised how much noise even a field tips make! speically aluminum shafts unfilled. Position youself ("safely" with adeqate protection-like a big tree or a building) 10 yards down range on a twenty yard shot.Have a friend shoot a few for you. It's a big eye, err, hear opener!!Other shafts wood/carbons are usually quieter (all fletchings being equal)
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2007, 06:53:00 PM »
3 under....I am well aware of the noise the fletching makes.  My brother and I have done exactly what you speak of and the quitest arrow is not as quiet when standing down range.

It is hearing the arrow when up range that bothers me and surely the deer.
Richie Nell

Black Widow

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »
Here is a  1 1/2 yr old doe I shot a while back, pretty steep quartering away angle, 10-15 yd shot.

Entry through front of large muscle on ham:

Exit back of off shoulder:

The arrow was half way out the off side...she didn't go very far-no blood trail needed on this one.  I'm always amazed at how much people worry about penetration with big heads....I've never found it to be an issue.

Good luck with getting your heads dialed in, Richie!

Ryan

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2007, 09:09:00 PM »
Finally glued up a snuffer today.I was going to glue them as 260 grain (160 head 100 insert) but glued them as 285(160 head 125 insert).Not only did they fly great out of my 51# bow but they flew great out of my 45# bow! How is it that these arrows flew the same as my 250 grain heads? The 35 grains had no effect on my arrow flight.How many grains does it take to make a differance?

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2007, 10:07:00 PM »
are You sure????

You said they fly great out of the 51# & 45# bows..You most likely got them to come out of paradox faster, but just not seeing it...Your in the bell curve

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2007, 10:29:00 PM »
I am thinking about buying some.
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
Sal,I couldn't believe it either but to my eyes at 18 yards they flew perfect.Tomorrow I might try them with the 2016's out of the 51#.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2007, 10:56:00 PM »
I used  2016's cut 29"BOP w/125grn Snuffers out of me Shrew 52#@26" Darts...about 7yards bullet holes in paper tune. Now I just shoot Ash 60-65# 27"BOP topped w/160grn Snuffers....They bring meat Home  :readit:  

I have also found that 3 or 4 fletching works great with them, I Use 5.5" nana's.

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2007, 11:34:00 PM »
I've been shooting snuffers for more than twenty years.No need for me to change.   :campfire:

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2007, 11:48:00 PM »
Roger Rotharr shot a big bull moose that quite far away and cut off a rib going in and a rib going out.Complete pass through.

Consider this.If the head is making noise,it's behind the head.The noise does not occur until the head cuts the air. By the time the noise is at the animal,the head is in.

If you don't believe it,stand in a safe place,a few feet away from the bale,but exactly beside the bale.See when you hear the arrow.I've done this,the outcome will surprise you.

One more thing,I've only used wooden shafts with the snuffer,so I can't say what they do with other materials.   :campfire:

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2007, 01:25:00 PM »
It doesn't matter where the sound comes from, it still travels at about 761 miles per hour.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©