INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Gloss or Flat Finish  (Read 504 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Gloss or Flat Finish
« on: October 27, 2010, 06:26:00 AM »
I've redone a couple of Bear Super K's and used a gloss finish to keep them more like the original finish.  I've been using a '68 SK for hunting this fall and have a set of camo limb skins on it.  But after a few times getting caught in rain showers I'm finding I really don't like the limb skins much.  Don't care for having all that water trapped and not being able to wipe the bow down without taking them off.  Plus I just don't like hiding all that beauty under a set of silk underwear.  I like naked bows.

For your old bows that you use for hunting do you like a flat finish?  I love the look of the gloss, but I'm thinking I might just respray a coat of flat on them.  I love the bows and don't see myself selling them anyway, so shouldn't really matter that way.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gloss or Flat Finish
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 06:59:00 AM »
Whip, I am the wrong guy to ask as I am a shiny bow guy so to speak. In looking at the rack hanging on the wall here though it does appear that all of the bows I use for hunting do have a flat finish.

The green tip limbs for my Bear TD look as though someone "refinished" them at some point and applied something (paint or ink I guess) over the original finish so they are very matte looking black now.

My shiny ones are really shiny it seems and I have always been a little gun shy about sunlight reflecting off while hunting.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 07:32:00 AM »
Matte finish for me.  Gloss looks nice on the rack and on the course, but in the woods...
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 07:46:00 AM »
Joe,the original gloss finish for sure adds a lot of beauty to the woods,but for hunting is terrible,I use socks or you can take off the shine passing steel wool;then at the end of the season you can always take back the gloss finish,for sure you know how.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline NancyVTAS

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »
I have used camo face paint, it is hard to get off your face but fairly easy to remove from our shiny bows. Dick

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
one of the better things to do is coat your high gloss limbs with Johnsons paste wax and just let it dry to a haze as hazey(real dull)as you want it.Just leave the wax on your bow and you can even add more wax here and there if needed during the season.Once dried it does not have much if any small.When the season is over use more Johnsons paste wax to reshine your bow.Another thing is the wax will provide a great water resistent surface to help protect your bow as well.
Now with that said and I am not trying to be funny but I've hunted with high gloss on my bows for many years no limb skins no paste wax no nothing to cut the shine down.However I do pratice and pratice hard to not shoot at a critter when he or she may be able to see me or my shiney bow limbs.If they do not see you the shine on your bow is not a factor at all.
Now with that said the higher the gloss the harder the finish.High gloss is over twice as hard a flat finish unless you use the steel wool on high gloss to dull it down a bit.But be careful with the steel wool because it really likes to snag any small splinters or chips along the edges of the limb.Steel wool really likes to pull those splinter up and can do more harm then good to your limb.Just food for thought bd

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »
Joe... Paraffin makes a good flat camo finish, is fairly durable and certainly is waterproof as any.

There are also flat finishes available in rattle cans at WalMart that come off easily when applied over a well paste waxed bow.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
Whenever it is available I get a matte finish. To my eyes beautiful wood under matte looks great.
Compound rubbing a shiny finish will get rid or the reflective surface.

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 01:10:00 PM »
I did as bowdoc said but also got some kids face paint and put some on the limbs.

doug77

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
bowdoc has it right..you can have both..
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
I still use a glossy finish to hunt with but under certain conditions I may dull the limbs with a little wax or even bowstring wax if my stand/blind location dictates I do. All things being equal, I worry a lot less about being seen than I do about being smelled.  GY

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
Prefer a matt finish, but will use a paste wax to hide, or protect a finish like Bowdoc suggests.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
If it was a collector piece I would go with the original gloss, on a working bow Dull, flat works for me. Heck I have even painted bows camo, but they were real beaters....shooters but beaters!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 06:41:00 AM »
These are fine looking bows.  Not too worried about the collector value because I intend to hunt with these and have no plans to sell them.  I got them to hunt with, and I think I'm probably going to just spray a final coat of flat on them and let them hunt!  

Besides, I know a guy that will give me a good deal on another refinish job if I ever change my mind   ;)
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
Joe

Right now I'm trying "Movie Paint" on my Jack Howard.  This is spray paint that is used in the film industry to "age" props.  It goes on like normal spray paint and is removable with soap/water.  I tried it out first on an old Howatt Cavalier with white glass to make sure it came off. No problem.  Do a search on the Net for "Movie Paint".  The best thing is it comes in neat colors like "dirt", "rust", and black.  Real dull stuff.  The only thing I dont know yet is how it will hold up to rain.  About $10 for a full sized spray can.

Ryan

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
I'm currently packing up a 64" 1969 Super K for a trip to Seattle to visit Bowdoc. Plan is for a refinish, some hacking on the grip and shelf for a "Bowdoc Special", frost finish and stuff in a couple of quiver bushings to top it off. Setting this bow up to be a hunter and a shooter, it might not be original when it's done but I'll get the job done  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©