INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 62 kodiak with Star  (Read 661 times)

Offline huntnfool62

• Trad Bowhunter
62 kodiak with Star
« on: November 04, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
I own a 62 Kodiak that I've had for about 30 yrs ,It has a star stamped in the serial # have been told differant reasons for this.I talked to Frank Scott personaly at the bear museum about 12 years ago and asked him, he commented on something about warranty but said he would have to see it. Anyone have an explanation? and is this a rare occurance ?   :help:  
" I'm learning everyday and if I'm lucky it will be painless "
Dean

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 62 kodiak with Star
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »
bows stamped with a star A B + X Y 2 and 2-2's were all sold to dealers at a discount price and or a few had factory blemishes again ID'ed by the stamp and sold at a discount price no warranty and they were stamped to make sure dealers did not try and return them to Bear for credit.Normaly sold to dealers towards the end of the year to make room for the new models.I've looked over lots of stamped bows and have never found any problems with any of them bd

Offline AALLFAB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »
I have talked to a couple of the most respected and published Bear experts and they say there is no 100% documented proven or corroborated backed up story as to what the 22 stamp and the star stamp and the X stamp mean. It is commonly accepted that the 22 and star stamp means factory refinished and the X stamp means overstock discounted clearance with no warranty sale. Jim

Offline huntnfool62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
Thank you !! I also heard or read that the star was for a refinished bow something about delamination or bad finish . I always like to hear what others have learned .were there a lot of inconsistancies with Bear bows ? I also have a 56" grizzly with a 1969 serial # and I read that the 56" length was not offered until 1970. maybe I have a late 69 or early 70
Dean

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
The 56" Grizzly were offered in 68-70
Jack Shanks

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
Bow Doc is correct. Other manufacturers including Indian and Pearson also marked their bows with a 2 to identify a minor factory blemish and so the bow would not be returned under warranty. Sometimes the blemish was very minor but in most cases involved the glass on the limbs.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 08:01:00 AM »
holy smokes how many bows do your most respected guys think Bear Archery repaired delaminated limbs on and or refinished and then stamped a star into their new finish ? If that were true the bow would have a new one year warrenty also.Bear Archery did not refinish restore or repair bows because it was not cost affective they simply replaced the bow it was cheaper.
Blemished if you would look real good at the limbs on lots of stamped bows that were blemishes you'll see the limbs are painted to hide factory installed expansion cracks aka stress crack (blemished).You won't see the fiberglass texture but matching color paint real common from 1961 until 1966 bd

Offline AALLFAB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 02:03:00 AM »
Interesting info. The part about no documented definitive proof and factory mark down with no warranty came from the experts. The refinish part came from my limited experience gleaned from other non experts. Jim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©