INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Interesting arrow  (Read 469 times)

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Interesting arrow
« on: November 13, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Interesting arrow
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
Do you think that it would be okay to hunt with? Broadhead seems quite sharp.
DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
Looks like a Micro-flight, color matches.
"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 12:17:00 AM »
I wouldn't have a problem hunting with it. Check the nock end good for damage first so you don't get a surprise when you shoot.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 08:17:00 AM »
real cool arrow yours is in better shape then the one I have those were sold by several different companies including Bear I beleave prior to Micro Flites one thing for sure they are tougher then nails bd    

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »
I have some that look to be the same, and also wondered who made them ?

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
There should be markings on the shaft, just below the cresting.  Should say the brand and the size.  Do you see anything.

That Bear broadhead is a proven hunting head.  However, as sharp as you think it is, it is probably not sharp enough.  If it has not been resharpened in many years, it needs to be touched up.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »
The arrows I have say nothing on them?

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by the real bowdoc:
real cool arrow yours is in better shape then the one I have those were sold by several different companies including Bear I beleave prior to Micro Flites one thing for sure they are tougher then nails bd        
Just happen to have another 11 just like that one.
Man did I ever have a good day yesterday.
DDave

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 11:52:00 PM »
As it turns out there are only six of these arrows available. The lady asked me to commit to a price on all the remaining gear and I gave her what I thought was a very reasonable figure. Then she bumped it up by a hundred bucks. Sure wish now I had ripped her off on the bows since she had no idea of their value.

I called her back and told her I was no longer interested in the rest of the stuff she has for sale. Sometimes it just does not pay to treat people fairly.

DDave

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »
Some were marked with size and some weren't. To be useful you'll need to know the spine for sure.

Like so many bows out there, these shafts are often suited to mid forties bow weight and in all likelihood this shaft is a Microflite #8
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
Micro flites were yellow and you could see the glass weave and the size markings. I believe this is a Fleetwood arrow- I have some shafts the same color. If you were to scratch the paint the glass would be a dark brown. The Bear Razorhead is a 1960, less common than the 1964 version. Fleetwood at one time was based in Superior Wis. then later in Denver.

Offline bearmagtd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »
Dave your Bear Glass arrow is from 1960 know by A-30 Bear Glass. Bear Glass first listed in the 1957 as the B-100, 1958 as B-100 then in 1959 as X-100. The 57 and 58 arrow info says that they where made by Bear in there plant, it does not give that info for the 59 and 60 years. Your dip color and cresting match up with the 1960 catalog arrows picture. As Ron said it is a 1960 Bear Razorhead. The Bear catalog cd is well worth the cost for any one with interest in the Grayling Mich. years.

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
Here is the picture from the 1960 Bear catalog. The Bearglas is third from left. Doesn't look anything like Dave's photo. The Bearglas description from the same catalog states that the shaft is "light yellow" Dave's shaft is full length dipped in brown paint. Notice in bowdoc's picture.. right behind the collar the brown paint is rubbed off and you can see the brown woven glass.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
Some were marked with size and some weren't. To be useful you'll need to know the spine for sure.

Like so many bows out there, these shafts are often suited to mid forties bow weight and in all likelihood this shaft is a Microflite #8
Thanks for the editing job, Charlie. I actually did not buy the arrows because the seller jerked me around and I got upset. They are too short for my 30 inch draw anyway and the last thing you want to do is pull a broadhead past the shelf. The next place it will go is into your hand.

Anyone wants to buy a half dozen of these pm me and I will give you the contact info.

DDave

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »
With the arrow in hand it sure seems that the cresting pattern is a match with the catalog pic of the bearglas arrow.
DDave

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 02:59:00 AM »
When living in Michigan I picked up a number of these and still have a couple.  Mine were prior to the aluminum shaft insert and had a wooden dowel insert which was then tapered along with the fibreglass shaft.  I tried the same with some MJ Log #5 glass shafts I later found and it worked fine.
Tom

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 04:43:00 AM »
Thanks to all for the valuable info

DDave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©