INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Grumley Bush Bow, doubtful  (Read 710 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Grumley Bush Bow, doubtful
« on: November 23, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »
A fellow member indentified these tips for me. I have an OLD yew bow with grumley tips in very good condition, very shootable actually. I found out today I shouldn't being stringing or shooting it because of its possible history. Does any of this sound familiar? The limbs are wide and the bow is about 63" unstrung.

Thanks for any info!

Offline mullet

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grumley Bush Bow, doubtful
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
DO NOT SHOOT THAT BOW! Wrap it very carefully and send it to me. I'll pay all the shipping.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
Something tells me thats a shady deal mullet????? .........I love archery with a passion, but the history end of it escapes me, so pardon my ignorance on the subject. Sounds like I have a keeper then?

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
Pearl Drums
Look back to July or August for Archery Collectors Show 1 and 2. Wade Phillips had a Very Nice display of Grumleys. Try to get some pics up as there are some very knowledgeable individuals at this site who could help you out.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »
Here's the photos that Chris sent me....

I don't know wether it's an actual Grumley bow or not, I know it's definately Yew.
I'm certainly no expert in bow history, but the tips just screamed Nels Grumley or Chet Stevenson.

Chris, ifyou manage to get some better pics, please feel free to EMail them to me & I'll post them up for you.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 06:11:00 AM »
I will get better pics tonite and e-mail them to you. I did some research last night and it sure looks like a Bush Bow to me, or somebody made a very accurate knock-off of one. Thabnks for the replys so far guys.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 06:18:00 AM »
Cliff Coe made some bows in that style also. A good profile shot of the limb back would help.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 07:11:00 AM »
There is some type of backing on it, cant tell what. The belly is rounded and the back is as flat as a sinlge growth ring would allow, it has a few "kinks" in it that are natural and not from poor storage even though it was in a garbage can. Chuck I may bring it over soon enough for you to look at if you dont mind, your just down the road from me.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
Nice looking bush bow...........it will be interesting to see some more pics.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »
Here's some more pictures that Chris sent me....

"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »
Ready when you are PD. what town do you call home?I forget.
That is one of my favorite Grumley styles. I would be thankful to look it over.(I prolly like all Grumleys the same, truth be told)
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
I live on Rainbow Lake Chuck, Perrinton is the official village name. So you think thats a Grumley? If so, it blows me away that somebody simply tossed it in the trash can.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
To be honest,the tips and grip look a bit "off"
But it is very hard to say from a picture,as well as I am no expert.No matter,you have a sweet looking bow from that era.I can't wait to see it. Rainbow lake is only 20-30min away. Give a call and we can get together.
I know two guy's that pulled signed Grumley's out of trash cans sitting by the road. Some folks have all the luck.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 02:46:00 AM »
To the best of my knowledge; if the bow is Yew, and I can't tell from the pics, it is not a Grumley. The Grumley bows were all Osage or Osage and Hickory depending on the model. And like Chuck said the tips are a little off.That does not mean it is not a great find, we need bowdoc or another expert to chime in.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 06:23:00 AM »
If it's not signed or stamped Grumley I would have my doubts as well. Nice find anyway.
Jack Shanks

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 07:14:00 AM »
Sounds like I may just have a 50-60 year old yew self bow with Grumley tips. Oh well, Im not a bow collector and this one doesnt hold any sentimental value. Im sure there is a collector that would get more from this than I. Chuck I will get ahold of you and bring it by. Thanks for the info everybody!

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 01:37:00 PM »
Grumley did make some all yew bows,I have a couple of them,both Bear Products and both straight end bows.Don't see too many of them that's for sure.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
I need an expert to see this in hand to know for sure. To me it looks so much like one with some slight alterations, I think it looks like it was refinished 50 years ago to personalize the bow. I read that he also made "customs" for Bear Products, perhaps this one?

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
John is correct.

Grumley did make some solid yew bows. I have several all yew Grumley bows. Many are straight end bows, two that I have are horn nock. One has the Pre-Bear Grumley brand, the others are branded "Bear Products by Grumley". Very few all yew Grumley bows have recurved tips.

Yew was also used as the core wood later on in most of the standard 3-Lamination Grumley bows. Most of his 3-Lam bows have a hickory back, yew core and osage belly.

When Grumley bows were still in the catalog, for $10 less you could order any of the standard bows with a lemonwood core and lemonwood belly rather then the yew core and osage belly.

While similar to a Grumley Bush Bow, judging from the small photographs, the bow in question is not an original Grumley.

Many bowyers imitated Grumley's bows. Perhaps the best Bush Bow imitation I have ever seen was made by Cliff Coe and has the best looking Coe marking on it that I have seen.

Pearl Drums - Yes, many Grumley bows were refinished by people who had no idea what they were doing and completely destroyed the artistic lines of Grumley's work. It is amazing how much damage a little sanding can do to an old all wood bow.

I have one solid osage Deerslayer that Nels Grumley refinished himself. It is perhaps the only refinished Grumley that I can think of that is equally desirable and valuable as an exact Grumley bow in all original condition.  

I believe if I examined your bow in person, that I could easily tell if you bow is an original Grumley bow that someone refinished and in the process altered the lines.

You will have to bring the bow to Compton next June and we can compare it to several original Grumley bows that I will have there.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
Now thats info. Thanks for all of it, and the history lesson!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©