3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Morrison Limbs...well worth the wait!  (Read 850 times)

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
New Morrison Limbs...well worth the wait!
« on: December 10, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
Guys, sorry I haven't been on in a while, work and the boy's wrestling schedule have had me just short of drowning lately, hope to be back in the saddle here by the end of the week.

Anyway....Bob and I have been talking for some time while he's been testing his new longbow limb design. I'm sure there have been other threads posting about them but for recap, these new Dakota longbow limbs for his Shawnee riser incorporate a foam core, fiberglass belly and carbon fiber back. Bob's tests on the final prototype showed 197fps with 9gr/# @ 28" with smoother feeling draw and less noise than previous designs.

Well, they finally came in this weekend and I've been able to wring a few arrows through them. Bob delivered in spades! I liked my Shawnee before...but now, with these new limbs...it is the best longbow I've ever shot.

Now that may not sound like a big claim...but for me, it surely is. I've shot a lot of bows looking for the perfect 3pc longbow, bought/ordered a bunch that were close. But none of them have done what this Shawnee/Dakota genII limbed model I have now.

The limbs are considerably lighter than their previous conventional counterparts, though of equal length and heavier # than the old ones. I'm sure this has increased the performance some.

What is more amazing than the blistering speed though, is the pure silk, greased ball bearing draw. I mean, it's so smooth I just can't believe they are 4#'s heavier than the older limbs. And though the older limbs were quiet, the new ones are deadly silent. I've had issue with many carbon limbed bows, and honestly every one but the newer A&H ACS/CX wood riser models had a harmonic I found objectionable...a "pong" like a tightly strung tennis racket. These limbs are completely void of that irritating sound. I also had the slightest shock with the old limbs....these new ones have completely eliminated that vibration. In short, this new design simply made this Shawnee.

I've got a new A&H that should be ready shortly and I'm thrilled to be able to test this bow side by side with the A&H, my previous "best of the best" longbows. You fellers at A&H better send me a good one....this one is going to be nearly impossible to beat!

If you haven't shot these new longbow limbs of Bob's, do so when you can, and see for yourself.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Morrison Limbs...well worth the wait!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »
Sounds like a sweetheart of a bow buddy! Good to see you... I was starting to worry about ya.

Now if you can talk Bob into sending a couple of those new broadheads my way, we'll both be tickled.   ;)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »
wow! thats movin. wonder if he will incorporate this new foam core design into the recurve limbs...might need to call him and break the bank

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »
just checked the website...Bob says the carbon doesnt do as well in the recurve limbs. those dakota speeds are amazing. most 3pc longbows will be at least 10fps slower all else the same.  the only bows that will touch this performance would be the swan, acs and if centaur made a 3pc i bet he'd be up there too.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
JC, how close do you live to Winder.  I've heard alot of good about those Morrison bows and sure would like to see and shoot one.  I'd like to meet a few of the Tradgang in my area as well. Thanks in advance.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
JC,  I glad to hear your report cause Bob's making me up a set right now.  Be taking them to Texas in Jan & Feb.  Heck I might even get to try them with you down in Aiken!  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 10:48:00 PM »
That's where ya been...Sittin by the MAIL BOX   :wavey:  I'll take the SHREW  :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :jumper:    :jumper:

Offline Bob Walker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 05:27:00 AM »
I have to second what JC says about the new limbs. Mine came in on Saturday and they are, by far, faster and smoother than my 'boo Dakota limbs. My old limbs are 59@29 and my new ones are 61@29 and the new ones shot consistantly 9-11 fps faster than the old ones. They are indeed smoother (which I never thought possible). Oh, and did I mention lighter??? My shawnee with the 'boo limbs was lighter than most one piece longbows that I have handled and the new ones are even lighter! Bob, you have outdone yourself this time, my friend  :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:
Philippians 4:13

TGMM - Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 05:31:00 AM »
Must.......not.......order.......'nother........
bow........   :help:      :help:      :help:

Nice to see you again Bob! Howzit going?
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 06:00:00 AM »
Lonley, poor, broke down, slow moving,simple minded fella seeking new employment. Anyone have a job for me? I'm wondering how you guys afford all these new bows?  :confused:  

Sounds like a winner! Can't wait to shoot the bow! CK

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 07:23:00 AM »
Curtis Bob was looking for a bow builder while back! One way to get more Morrison's   :biglaugh:  
You wouldn't like that white stuff all over his lawn though.
hunt it

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 08:15:00 AM »
Charlie, as the old saying goes "Reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated"   ;)  

Curtis, only reason I can afford it is I've been workin my tail off. I hunted thanksgiving but haven't been in the woods since then...and all I got to do is walk out the back door! Oh well, after Christmas things will settle down a bit for Jan and I'll catch the tail end of AL deer season hopefully. Hope to catch up with you sometime in '08....I'll bring the Shawnee so you can have a dance.

Jeff, you let me know about Aiken...we'll sho nuff get together and chase something.

Pete, Bob is still testing the recurve limbs. Right now his foam core and fiberglass recurve limbs are matching these newest Dakota foam/carbon limbs. He's getting a few more fps with the new carbon matrix in the recurve limb but he's not sure if it's really gonna be worth the hassle and $ in the end. Soon as he decides either way though, my new ones will be built. Bob says he'll never use boo cores again on his limbs, both longbow and recurve...they are that much better in all aspects. After shooting these, I agree totally. Dang but it's a great time to be a trad bow-a-holic!

Hatch, no easy way to get from Ranger to Winder...about 90 miles from each other if you take 53. But, you are right around the corner from North Georgia Traditional Archery Club in Gainesville. We have a trad only shoot the first Sun of every month Jan-Aug. Check the trad events forum for more details. We also have a great shoot at my place in June for Traditional Bowhunters of Ga, as well as other hunts and shoots throughout GA for the same club. PM or email me for more details on both, happy to help connect you with other trad folks.

Vance, brother, you already got one of my shrews...least you can do is let me keep one!   :p  When you shoot this Shawnee/Dakota next fall (or sooner) I don't know if you'll be hankerin for another Shrew anymore.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 09:05:00 AM »
Bob makes top shelf equipment..  Glad to here these new limbs are working out as expected.
                      PB

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 10:05:00 AM »
I was talking with Bob about them as well when I ordered a bow recently. He said he hasn't been able to apply a wood veneer to the new limbs. So for 9-11 fps slower I went with the actionboo with matching honduras rosewood veneer. I can live with a little slower for more beauty. Just me. I have the Cheyenne on order so it wouldn't have been a issue with the recurve limbs anyway it sounds.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 10:20:00 AM »
good for ya buddy!!!  :thumbsup:    :goldtooth:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Tater 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »
Nice pair of Snake Skins over that Carbon glass might look pretty sharp.

But, Dead is Dead and I dought the Critter is going to know if that arrow was going 187fps or 197fps.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline S. Brant Osborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »
Have mine on order too!  Can't hardly wait!
Brant
"I'm the proud son of a Vietnam Vet and proud to be Made in America!"

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »
Tater 2,  I agree Dead is Dead.  My last bear was shot with a selfbow & stone point, but I sure love a nice quiet fast longbow too!  Still lookin' for that Grail...just maybe  :D  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline HalfRack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 03:24:00 PM »
So the foam takes up what was once core and fadeout?  Too cool, can I see a pic?

-Mike

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
Mike, I'll take some pics and post them.

The foam does not replace the fadeout, which on my limbs is charcoal dymondwood I believe. Just the core is foam.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©