INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: STEMMLER BOWS  (Read 537 times)

Offline MATHEWS2005

• Trad Bowhunter
STEMMLER BOWS
« on: November 28, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »
Dose anyone on here collect Stemmler bow? And were they good bows? Are the worth much?

Offline Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: STEMMLER BOWS
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »
I have that they were made in New York from 1957-1988 but that is about it. Someone else will have to help you with the models and collectibility...
Lucas Kent

Offline Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
As I look further they had made bows before 1957, that is the date of their earliest laminated recurve
Lucas Kent

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
I bought a Jaguar for my cousin's graduation. It was well made as well as smooth and fast. Build wise it reminded me of a Pearson. Thats my only experience but it was a good one.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline mullet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
I have some older lemon wood long bows with horn nocks. And used to have a 45# recurve with some of the most beautiful wood lam combinations I've seen in a bow. I wish I hadn't sold it now.

Offline Bucks100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
Mullet, or Anyone, Do you know the year, or years they made the lemonwood, with the Horn ends? L.E.Stemmler Co. Queens Village NY. The box of things I picked up today Had the following Stemmler Items in it. Two Stemmler score books (Christmas scene on front) with the date of 4/30/39 that the archer wrote in it,12 Stemmler arrows(knock cut into end of wood, with pressed on target points) the pointed part of it looks like a twisted knurl, and is brass colored.Other arrows were 11 Footed with thin rounded knocks, and 17 others with knock cut into the end of the shafts. these last 28 mentioned above all have real long target tips that are pinned on. Sorry but no good at posting Pic's(last time all I got was a link to them!)
Use it Up,Wear it out,Make it do,Or do WITHOUT

Offline mullet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
I've got some old English style longbows from around the 20's, 30's. And some lemonwood flat bows that are backed with Micarta, I think? I'm guessing they are from the 40's or 50's. I'm in the process of rebacking one of these with bamboo.

Offline Bucks100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
Now that you mention it, It does look Old English Style. I figure it had to be before 39, as it was with score cards and ect.

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
Lou Stemmler started making English style long bows in the early teens 1915 or so???..He was at that time the largest manufacture of archery tackle in the USA.In around 1918 he got Fred Kibbe started in the archery business,Here in Michigan. Kibbe soon became the 2nd largest in the USA.Stemmler resided in Queen Island New York.??He started making laminated recurve bows later..I'm guessing in the 40s.The ones I've seen- seem to be well built.I dont believe that there is a great big demand for his later bows.But he has a lot of equipment out there.Kibbe & Stemmler used to sail on the Detroit River together.I have read about them because I collect Kibbe archery equipment..I put some question marks by my statements just incase I'm not quite accurate.Its been a while since I've read up on Stemmler.By the way accoring to Frank Scott,The first bow that Fred Bear ever made was from a bow stave purchased in Coldwater Mi from Fred Kibbe.Kibbe & Fred Bear met at a local hamburger stand a talked Business.Kibbe purchased leather goods from Bear.

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
Mullet,Do you have any Kibbe bows.

Offline mullet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
Rick;
I don't think so? The only one I have right now is an old, spliced in the handle long bow with horn knocks that the decal say's Queens Village, New York. The 40's lemonwood flat bow has no decals. I sold my beautifull Stemmeler recurve, and I'm still kicking my ass.
  That history is really interesting, now you have me on the look out.

Offline Bucks100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
Rick:
What kind of markings did the Kibbe bows have?(decals, stamped,?? And what years were they made?

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
The very early Kibbes were just stamped Kibbe.Later in the late 20s until 1942 he used 4 different decals..The first was a small oval green & red--the next was a gold shield with an eagle at the top from about 1930 to 1935.. the 3rd was a gold black & red with a target at the top he used this until 1940-- & from 1940 to 1942 a very colorful red & white decal was used, Fred thought it would make the bows stand out.All the water transfer decals had Wolverine Archery & Takle -Coldwater Michigan printed on them.Most of his bows were D section English style with either leather wraped string wraped or colorful cloth wrap grips..He made bows from Yew to Hickory to lemonwood.He used horn knocks on his upper end bows.I even have snakewood with Hickory backingPretty rare...

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
Wolverine Archery & Tackle was established in 1918 & closed shop in 1942...Based in Coldwater Michigan...If I get some time tomorrow I will get my Kibbes down & post Pics of the decals....

Offline Bucks100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
Thanks Rick
When I get time I'll have to look in my rack

Offline SloWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 12:29:00 AM »
I bought a short Stemmler 35# recurve, beautiful shooter for my son (outgrew 3 yrs ago) and now holding it for my 6 yr old girl. No regrets on the bow. ****.

Offline SloWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 12:31:00 AM »
see above

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©