INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: ROOT GAME MASTER  (Read 629 times)

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ROOT GAME MASTER
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
True, Reddogge.

Not to lower the center stage light on Pappa Bear bows in any way but there are a few from the past that do not get the recognition deserved, IMHO.

"Something different than others have" has been my curse or blessing, however one wishes to view it.

From Pappa Bear, my 59 Alaskan with double shelf and coin...it falls into the catagory somewhat and stays within my means. My "Fawn Hunting" whatever it is 50s style recurve in 55lbs is another. I was amazed to see yet another identical to it on the auction lately in 50lbs. The history of such yet escapes me.

The TRUE "RARE" Bear bows will never be within my reality of something I can afford to shoot never-the-less I find some of the older bows of "others" well deserving of my attention and love of hunting with them.

Harry Drake, Ernie Root and many others contributed some fine if not outstanding things to traditional archery.

I had the Shakepeare version of the Root Game Master, a pair of them actually before I succumbed to the "need" to shoot only those of leather gripped original versions.

They might not be much of interest to a great many but I will be honored and quite proud to hunt with this old 63 inch Ernie Root contibution and only hope I do it justice out amongst em..........where it belongs.

God Bless
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline Hobow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 03:33:00 AM »
Hi SlowBowke,

I believe that your Root Game Master bows are both early to mid 50's models.  The first bow is a Root Game Master Deluxe and the second bow is a standard Game Master.  

They are both pretty much the same up to the extra laminations which are a feature of the Deluxe model.  According to their ad by Seattle Archery, "All Root recurves are available in the Deluxe model at $67.50.  The Deluxe, overdraw type, center section is shown here."  

The January 1957 ad shows exposed, multiple laminations on the belly of the bow.  I am guessing that your bows are a little earlier since the lams are covered by glass.  

It seems to me that they would expose the laminations later on as bows became fancier. As for the tips, if the customer is paying extra for belly laminations then why not add extra lams on the tips as well.  

Just my thoughts, I hope that it helps,

Brad

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »
Very nice looking bow!  It's great seeing the old literture and hearing about some of the old bowyers!

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©