INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Makes me cringe...  (Read 512 times)

Offline Xavier

• Trad Bowhunter
Makes me cringe...
« on: December 14, 2010, 11:34:00 PM »
Is it just me? Or does it make you cringe when you see vintage bows on the auction site presented with string on backwards? Seems like a bad way to store or present a bow.
Must be bad for limbs when it is noticeably putting pressure on them.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Makes me cringe...
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
Generally the pressure is minimal, and not necessarily a bad thing. I have not had any problems resulting from that; but none of them have been too terribly tight. IMO

Offline toehead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
whats real bad is the pic of the guy drawing the bow strung backwards!
proud member of
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Oklahoma Self Bow Society
Leedey Archery Association
PBS
Comptons Traditional Bowhunters
Pope and Young Club

Offline Xavier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
haha - that is what i always envision. shudder.

I was showing a bow to a friend and they mentioned that it appeared that i was stringing the bow backwards. sigh.

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
I recently saw a guy at the local range in the process of drawing his uncles nice old Ben Pearson and strung backwards. This was bad enough but he was going to shoot a Deadhead at the practice butt. I could see the very distinct looking point from 30 yds away. It took full personal diplomacy to bring the guy around without making him feel rather foolish.

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »

:nono:

Offline Xavier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
Noooooo! Crazy pic.
Looks like his wrist is double jointed... Wonder how that grip feels... Well not really.

Offline arrowwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 07:07:00 AM »
This is in an online ad nearby, a "1953" Polar

It's the same thing with drum sets, the seller carefully arranges them on the nearest concrete where it's almost impossible not to scratch the chrome-plated rims

:rolleyes:

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
That was a common way to store recurves 'back in the day'.  My dad still stores his that way.

That '56 Polar strung backwards makes me cringe.  I love those old girls!

I let a friend borrow one of my old reflexed longbows this summer.  He called telling me he couldn't use it because the string kept falling off every other shot and it only felt like 15#.  Yup, he had strung it backwards.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
The problem comes when someone who really does not know recurves tries to fire them that way. That apparently happened with one of my 1960 Kodiaks when the ladie's husband tried to fire it. Luckily it did not appear to harm the bow any, although I recall that he shocked himself rather seriously.
DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
I sold a right handed bow to a guy once and he emailed and said I shipped him a left handed bow. I asked him to send me a pic of the bow strung. Sure enough he had it strung backwards. After I set him straight all was well. Hard to believe but it happens to the newbies sometimes.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »
No problem levving them strung backwards.  Actually it is better for the string to keep some light tension on it...keeps it from drying out.  Pulling it strung bacwards is a whole nuther program
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©