INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: how to put snake skins on a 62 grizzly.  (Read 346 times)

Offline copicasso

• Trad Bowhunter
how to put snake skins on a 62 grizzly.
« on: December 21, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
I have a 1962 grizzly that needs refinished. I thought I could put skins on it. Any ideas?

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: how to put snake skins on a 62 grizzly.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
Check out this thread of a '59 that was re-finished with skins.  The pics are nice but the bow looks much better in person and is just a joy to shoot.

I think there were other threads where Kenny discussed the skin application process with others in more detail.  I will try to find those later and add them to this post or someone else may jump in here with some posts.

I have seen other threads on here about the use of skins if you do a search for it.  Click up in "search" under the "post a poll" button.  Takes a bit of getting used to but you can dig up quite a bit with some patience.  It's fun to see what you find.

Good luck with that 1962!  Post some pictures as you go along.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=003650
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how to put snake skins on a 62 grizzly.
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 06:57:00 AM »
I just had a discussion with a Canadian bowyer who does a lot of snake skin overlays and he says it is a very simple process. He uses a high quality wood glue and trims the skins to shape after they are glued. The scales then need to be shaved off and the job is done.

I just bought a 1961 KS for 66 bucks and I am going to do it with skins. I seem to be on a snake theme these days (just bought an ACS with Western Diamondback overlays, a Pit Viper compound and a Mamba compound in the last few weeks).

Come up and join us for the North American Long Bow Safari next summer which will be held just outside of Calgary. He will be there with lots of Western Diamondback and Prairie Rattler skins for sale. PM me and I can get you more details.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©