INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Fred Bear DVD Collection Help  (Read 499 times)

Offline 69RECURVE

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Fred Bear DVD Collection Help
« on: December 30, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
I am sure most of you either have this collection in VHS tape or in DVD format. If not you are really missing an awesome piece of History.

My question is do any of you know what year a particular piece of video was shot? For example when was Oldest Game filmed, Bwana Bowman, Badlands Bucks so on & so on.

Thanks

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Bear DVD Collection Help
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
I try to estimate by the style of bow used, and Fred's age. Static recurves indicate late 40's, early 50's. Fred used what ever new model bow was out at that time. He wasn't just bowhunting, he was demonstrating his products.  The 59/60 Kodiak (which looked similar to the Grizzly that is still in production today, just more fancy, with a decorative cap on the back of the bow), are very different in appearence (smaller riser), than the later models, and 65 on, Kodiaks have a profile all their own. Look for a takedown latch too, as this can denote late 60's early 70's. That is half the fun of watching the films, trying to date the bows and year of the hunt! Damn good movies!!!

Offline 69RECURVE

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
I agree I watch the bows and try to guess what year the cars are as well. The bows always seem to be flashed in and out. But the cars are something else.

It would of been so easy to say that this hunt took place at this date and time but it did not happen that way.

Thanks

Offline bowhawk archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
In Dick Lattimer's book "I Remember Papa Bear", there is several pictures of the animals that Fred took on film that have the years they were taken.  And I thought I read somewhere that the Oldest Game was shot in 1961. I too, love watching the old films of Fred.

Offline huntnfool62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 06:35:00 PM »
I have the biography of Fred Bear by Charles Kroll and it gives dates for certain trips. but I like to guess the year of the bows. Its tricky though ! I know he shot his tiger in '63 but the bow looks to be a '64  and he used the proto-type takedown in 64 as well I think in one of his trips to Africa. He described that takedown on one of the videos. good Luck ! Bear archery will probably Have the correct dates if you contact someone there .
Dean

Offline 69RECURVE

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
All good advice. Never thought of contacting Bear Archery that is a good one.

Andy

Offline yeager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 11:42:00 AM »
I have every one of his VHS tapes and just love watching them over and over.  None of the whooping, yelling, etc. after a harvest you see now-a-days on videos and TV shows.  His integrity of the hunt is truely inspiring.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Bowhunter Assoc lifetime member
P&Y Club, Official Measurer

Offline C Kerley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
I'll have to look, but I'm pretty sure one of Dick Lattimer's books has each video listed by date.

Offline 69RECURVE

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
Yeager,

I think that is what I admire most about these old video's. Fred set the stage for great footage without the blood and gore and like you said all the high fiving & back slapping that are in almost all video's except of course what the Wensel's have put out.

Just think how bad things could of been for the archery folks back then had Fred gone the other way. He was way ahead of his time.

Andy

Offline yeager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
Amen Andy!!   Also, just sent in my check for the Wensel's new "Essential Encounters" video coming out in January.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Bowhunter Assoc lifetime member
P&Y Club, Official Measurer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©