3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: General Trad Questions for everyone...  (Read 591 times)

Offline Paul Cataldo

• Trad Bowhunter
General Trad Questions for everyone...
« on: December 10, 2007, 11:21:00 PM »
Hello fellow trad guys!
  First off, I'd like to say hello, as this is my first post.  I'm a long time compound shooter, and bowhunter, and a first time trad shooter here.
  I recently purchased my first trad bow, a Browning Wasp recurve.
  I'd like to ask a number of questions that I have, and I would appreciate any help you guys could share with me, in order to help me get started shooting traditional!
  There are more than just a couple questions, so I will number them, for ease of reply/response.
  As soon as I can get these questions cleared up, I'll be well on my way!
  As I said, I bought a used Browning Wasp recurve, 50#, 56" AMO.

Here are my questions:

1.  Is the felt shelf on my bow, replaceable?  It appears that I could take a heat gun and remove the felt, and stubborn glue, and put a new piece of felt on.  (Not sure if this would work, nor what type of felt to use for replacement).  The felt I have on the bow shelf now, works, but it's worn down at the point farthest back toward the arrow, and it's from the fletching contacting it repeatedly.  

2.  My bow shelf is not crowned/radiused.  I can see the felt is worn away where the arrow fletchings contact the back of the riser/shelf area.  I'm a fairly skilled carpenter/woodworker.  Would it be possible or wise for me to just radius/crown the backside of the shelf myself, and then recover it with new felt?  I would think it would be a good fletching clearance modification, as long as I don't sand down the very top, where the arrow actually rests, thus lowering the point where the arrow sets.

3.  I'm assuming feather fletchings are the best way to go, as opposed to my plastic Bohning Blazer vanes I normally shoot with compounds.  Can anyone recommend a good quality feather fletching for me to buy?  (I have a Bitz jig I use often for regular vanes).

4.  I know I need a "stringer" (I guess that's what it's called), for taking the bow down for storage.  Do I just get online and buy any stringer, or do I need a specific one for my bows length???  Will any stringer be fine?  As of now, I was planning on going to 3RiversArchery site, and checking out their stringer selections, to try and find one to buy.

5.  Is it mandatory to ALWAYS take a recurve bow down (remove string) when not in use?  What I'd really like to know, is whether or not this used bow is likely damaged, if the previous owner stored it with the string on for long periods of time.  It appears fine, and does not appear to have any twist in the limbs/etc.  However, I'm not so sure the previous owner ALWAYS stored this bow with the string removed.  What can I do to be sure it's ok?  

6.  In regards to #5 above:  Do you ALWAYS take your bow down EVERY night, NO MATTER WHAT???  How about when on a hunting trip?  Do you leave the string on for a night or two, or is even a SINGLE NIGHT a big No-No????

7.  I've read posts on other forums, where guys talk about "tuning a recurve".  What exactly does TUNING a recurve bow consist of, aside from finding the nock point, and possible getting the right amount of twists in the string for proper AMO length??  I mean, is there even anything else possible that can be done, in order to "tune" a recurve bow???  No sight, no typical arrow rest, no D-Loop, No peep sight, etc, etc.
  You get the picture.

8.  Last question for now:  How should I shoot with my cock feather?  Cock feather UP, DOWN, or to the SIDE -(in or out??)

Sorry for all the questions guys.  Sometimes I just get right down to the point I guess.  I can really get into shooting this thing, if I just get a few questions answered.
  i thank you guys for any and all help, it would really mean a lot.
  Take care gentlemen.

Offline numbfinger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: General Trad Questions for everyone...
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 11:42:00 PM »
im new to bowhunting without wheels too,but i'm pretty sure you can replace whatever covering is on your shelf now.

my bow came with the shelf already radiused, but ive read about people doing their own.

feathers are what you need, gateway or truflight are two i know of.

i dont know how to check out your bow, but if it's in good shape now, it wont hurt to leave it strung all the time, i just hang mine up horizontally , on the wall.

i think the risk of damaging limbs by unstringing is greater by far than the risk of damage from just leaving it strung[ as long as it's not in a bind or standing on one limb.

tuning is also adjusting shaft length, head weight, and adjusting the strikeplate or plunger left or right , to get the arrow to flex so that the fletchings either dont hit the bow , or hit as little as possible, so you can get better arrow flight.

there's more than one way people line up their fletches, i think quite a few put the cock feather straight at 9 oclock[ mostly just whichever way gets you the best clearance and arrow flight.]

like i said before, i am new too, but until some experts answer, i tried my best to explain .
hope a little of this might help some   :)

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 11:52:00 PM »
1.  Do not use a heat gun....ever.  It should just peel off.  If there's residual glue use steel wool.

2.  You can if you want.

3. Tru Flight are hard to beat

4. Selway would be my choice....any stringer will fit your bow.

5.  No.  Just check to make sure limbs aren't twisted and there are no cracks in the limbs/riser.

6.  No.  Leave it strung as long as you are shooting regularly.  Most damage is done by stringing/unstringing.

7.  Hah!  You've got some studying to do.  Do a search here and on Pow Wow.

8.  Generally cock in or out for 3 fletch.

Have Fun!!!
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Paul Cataldo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 07:44:00 AM »
Guys,
  Thanks so much!  I've got to run to work, but I shall return.  I did not realize the "POW WOW" forum was where I should have posted, so my apologies to the mods.
  Thanks guys.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 07:56:00 AM »
Good answers above that will get you well on your way.  If it were me I would go ahead and radius the shelf before reapplying rest material as long as you have the skill to do that.  For rest material felt will work well, and many people use the fuzzy side of a strip of velcro.  Even comes with an adhesive backing!  Another option would be a thin piece of leather, and to me the ultimate, although pricy, is seal skin (3Rivers carries it)

As to bow tuning it is a combination of using different spined arrows, building out the side plate, point weight, nock point height, and nock fit on the string.  For the best tuning instruction and explaination I have found take a look at O.L. Adcocks website.

Have fun!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 09:17:00 AM »
Welcome..
  :thumbsup:  

I use velcro on my shelf, I like leather also.
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 09:28:00 AM »
Welcome   :wavey:    :campfire:

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 10:51:00 AM »
Paul....
    If you radis the shelf....Make the high point above the deepest part of the grip and by all means radis the front and the back....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
More on #3 and #7.

The reason we use feathers rather than plastic vanes, other than just to be traditional, is because when we shoot off the shelf, there is generally some contact between the fletches and the bow.  With plastic vanes, the arrow is pushed away from the bow, but the feathers just fold in and don't disturb arrow flight as much.  What you have to be concerned about is contact between the quills and the bow, which would disturb arrow flight similar to plastic vanes.  Some people, after they achieve good arrow flight with a bare shaft, will fletch a shaft and trim the feathers back to maybe 1/8", coat the edges with lipstick or something, and look for contact between the trimmed quills and the bow.  They will then rotate the nock until contact is eliminated.  I've found that most feathers work fine, and buy them in large quantities from places like Three Rivers Archery.  I use a Bitzenberger fletching jig, because I like the helical twist it produces.  It doesn't matter whether you use left-wing or right-wing feathers, but you do need to match left-wing feathers with a left-wing jig, etc.

As has been mentioned, you will find a lot on tuning, but the purpose is the same as with a compound: to achieve perfect arrow flight.  We generally do this in the following order, although there is a certain amount of back and forth.

1.  Set the brace height somewhere in the recommended range, planning to fine tune it later on.  We do this by twisting the string.

2.  Set the nocking point high to begin with, maybe 7/8.

3.  Tune arrows for proper spine, using various methods.  I use bare shaft tuning.  Others use paper tuning, and some do fine tuning afterwards by moving string silencers around, etc.  Overall arrow weight may be a factor in this, as most recurve bows have a minimum grains/lb of arrow weight that can be safely fired from the bow, and archers may have a desired arrow weight they are aiming for, such as 500 grains for a 55 lb bow.

4.  Set the nock point lower until bare shaft porpousing is minimized.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline deerfly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
First off, welcome to trad shooting, I suspect you'll find a profound new interest in archery and bowhunting ahead of you.

That said though, don't get in too big of a hurry trying to figure everything out. The responses above are excellent to get you going, but shooting a trad bow well enough to hunt with is going to take time. How much varies by individual. 6 months to a year or more is not uncommon. So be patient.

Stumbling into this site is the next best thing to finding an experienced shooter in your neck of the woods. If you don't know a trad shooter nearby I would suggest trying to find one and/or attend any shoots within driving range. The key is to get off to a good start and I think finding someone to help you avoid bad habits will make the journey a lot more fun and you'll likely get better faster too.

I owned a couple Browning recurves since the early 70's, great shooting bows. You're off to a good start with that Wasp. - eric

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 01:32:00 PM »
If you are not worried about rendering your bow unsaleable by taking a rasp to it,  and if there is enough wood to work with, I would say ...Heck yes, get er done.   I personally would rework the hand grip and radius both the shelf and riser. Take a look at the Pittsley Predator on their website (it is another name and I can't recall it,  someone here will) to see how much you can change the shape of it.

I tend to use a piece of velcro fabric (not the hooks part) for the rug material.  I use either a thin piece of leather or some sort of felt  or moleskin for the riser cause the velcro tends to be a bit thick.
ChuckC

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 05:19:00 PM »
#2.  Just common sense would seem to point to a radius shelf, but it seems I shoot just as well or better with the flat shelf.

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 05:54:00 PM »
Put a small piece of a rubber band under the shelf material and you have a spot for the arrow to ride on that also has a very slight give to it that may help in a bad release  :bigsmyl:

Offline Big Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 05:55:00 PM »
:wavey:  Welcome    :wavey:  You have already received alot of good info. use it
Live today like you'll meet God tommorow (you might)

Offline ozarkcherrybow1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »
I have a book titled "Traditional Archery", by Sam Fadala, it is a great read and full of the information you seek. I highly recommend  this book for anyone just getting in to trad. Shoot me a PM with your mailing address and I will send it to you...Terry

Offline Bilbow Bagem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 09:33:00 PM »
You're in Geogia!  You've got a lot of comapny here.  Be sure to log on to the Georgia website.  You can get to it by clicking on "the state trad bowhunting sites" here on trad gang.  Tad gangers are very active here in Georgia.

:campfire:

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 09:41:00 PM »
You can cut tooth pick also for under that shelf material , I prefer calf hair myself!...also I find bow quivers slow most bows down some. I like the strap type quiver (looks like bow quiver with strap post pic someone) ...practice with broadheads when possible alot...welcome!!!!!!!
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 10:50:00 PM »
This will help with the tuning.

http://bowmaker.net/tuning.htm

Dennis

Offline elkbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 11:22:00 PM »
don't think i can say anything that has not already been said,WELCOME.
kevin moore

Offline Paul Cataldo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 07:05:00 AM »
Guys,
  I'm off to work, and was away yesterday, but I seriously thank EVERYONE for ALL this info.
  I'm not really trying to figure it all out, but I did want to get a few things straight up front.
  Anyhow, I really did not expect this much help, so I thank you guys so much!
  I am looking forward to hanging out on this forum and taking in all I can.
  Thanks guys.  Terry, I'll shoot you a PM this afternoon when I return, and I'll certainly return the book to you if you wish!  Thank you sir!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©