INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Drake recurve help-  (Read 1883 times)

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
Drake recurve help-
« on: January 11, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
this is a total re-post from the pow wow section of the forums, looking for some help in here!

I have an old "Drake" recurve that was my wifes dads. he gave it to me in pretty rough shape (VERY DIRTY) looks to be really nice now that it is cleaned up. I used some 000 steel wool and sanded down the finish on the handle and used some lighter fluid and took of a lot of gunk from the limbs. It is a left hand bow and the only marking on it is the "drake" decal on the bottom limb, and the number "3100" on the left side of the riser. It measures 60&3/4 inches unstrung. I have no idea what the bow weight is (guessing 50-60#'s?)I'd like to post some pics on here for feedback~
pics may take a minute or 2!
Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Drake recurve help-
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
here are some pics!

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »
Thats a beauty right there

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
LR great bow looks like a purple heart riser with birch or maple ibean.Can't tell much from Harry's serial numbers as he changed them several times.I believe yours would be a 1961 or 1962.On the 60 3/4" length did you measure it just from tip to tip ? bd

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »
Ranger, forgot to say over on PW, that is a beauty for sure! You did a great job cleaning it up!

If bowdoc is right on date, this is pre-AMO, and is the reason I wouldn't "Guess" on string length!

You'll get the help you need here!   :thumbsup:

Hope ya get a shooter out of her!

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
I believe that bow is eather a 64" or 66" if measured along the belly side.If you sand that riser with some 100 grit sand paper and then add some new finish it will turn a very deep purple color bd

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
Hmm, i will remeasure when i get home. Sure dont want to order the wrong string!

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
67.5" along the curve of the limbs (would be the inside when its strung) that is tip to tip measurement. Subtract 1.5-2" if its supposed to be from the string groove to string groove.

the 60& 3/4" measurement is in a straight line tip to tip, not following the curve of the limbs like above.

Thanks for any and all help!

L.R.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 07:48:00 AM »
hummmmmmm sounden kind of maybe 66" huh ? I would also like to add Harry's bows are about one of the smoothest drawing bows ever built....not to mention a nail driven machine in the hands of someone that can drive nails with bow & arrow great bows.I restored the 66" I had and then traded it off for another bow DUMB man oh man I sure miss my old Drake great shooters bd

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 08:31:00 AM »
That is a cool old bow!  I just finished one up last month that was very similar.  You've got a real treasure there!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »
So I am looking for a 63" or 62" string? lol

help?

L.R.

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
Found this one many years ago. Has no stickers on it but it scales 41# - @28". Measured straight across the tips I have 66" and measured around the curve I have 71". I have a 66" string twisted up to about 65 1/2" giving me a brace height of 7 3/4" to the grip.

It is stamped #602 in the riser. It has these great built up tips with micarta(thats what I have been told)that resemble snake skin.

"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »
I thought the longer Drake recurves were called Firedrakes(maybe there were other models?).   I have 8 or 10 of them and all longer lengths and lighter draw weights. The stamped serial number seems to mean nothing about draw weight or year of mfg(could be wrong about that.)  Most have only the sticker label for identification.  (unlike the 54" Hunterflites, which all have data lettered on the riser.)   The Firedrakes are all smooth, sweet shooters with a light arrow.  I've only found one as short as 62" and most are 66-68".  Have had several people offer one that they were certain was at least 50#, but none were. Harry seemed to favor 46-48# and 66".   I did find one 68", 54# one that is a real beauty and a joy to shoot. Bowdoc, you probably know where that one came from!  That's the only 50#+ Drake longer than 54" that I've seen in 20+ years of collecting them.    

What I want to find is a Firedrake shorter than 66" and heavier than 52@28".   Anybody out there have one of those available??

oldbohntr
Tom

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »
Hey LR, if you havent' got a string yet, pm me your address and I can send ya one of each to try.

I think 12 stands would work!

Steve

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »
All Nice looking bows here but Mr. Sheppard that one is a real eyecatcher. With narrow limbs and tips that looks like a real shooter. Very Nice!

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 11:10:00 PM »
Frank, PM sent!

thanks a bunch!

L.R.

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
Hey oldbohntr Harry's bows show up once in a while and we only see a few pictures of Drakes on here. Could we get you to post a few pics of your collection. Please !
  :pray:
"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
I still can't get my pics working or I would be happy to show a couple pics of my former Harry bow.Kept the pics and traded off the bow dumb dumb dumb bd

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »

Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©