INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Drake recurve help-  (Read 1884 times)

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Drake recurve help-
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »
Well, that's all but the flight bows. He didn't label his flight bows, to my knowledge, but I picked up five of them from his buddy and one champion flight archer he knew.  Some of the Firedrakes need refinishing, but I've planned to let those wait until I retire the next time(can't afford to pay bowdoc more than he's getting from me now!!  Well, I might-if he'd PROMISE to ship me one bow a month!  How about it, BD?)

Harry was an incredible bowyer.  I especially like shooting the small grip Firedrakes like the ones shown earlier in the thread.

60# and 66".  Doggone, THAT'S a bow I'd like to talk you out of!  

If I can get this picture to post, I'll add a picture of Harry Drake's last shot.  He died the next night.  This was at the 1997 Flight Nationals, and he was trying out Sterling Jensen's new bow.  They'd been flight shooting bowyers and friends for years, and old Sterling gave me the photo, saying "yeah, the old SOB outshot me with my own bow on that shot, too!"  

Tom

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
That right there is more Drakes than I have ever seen. Thank You !

He sure like to mix it up with different glass, love the baby blue one.
"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
THANK YOU
From me too!! those are some beauties!

Offline dkard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »
My friend was there the day Harry died. They were big flight shooters together. He still has the flight bow that Harry set the record with. I really need to get him to pull that one out.

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
Lone Ranger, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.  Your Drake is a real nice bow.  I've never seen a LH Drake before. Hope you are a lefty yourself and can enjoy shooting it. I love the feel of those smaller grips on his bows. I'd be real surprised if its anywhere close to the weight you mention, but-if you ever scale it-I'd surely appreciate if you would let me know if it's over 50. Whether you can actually shoot it or not, it's a darn nice bow for your wall.  

Mr. Sheppard, yours has an especially beautiful riser.  Those tip overlays are really nice.  

There are so few Drakes around.  It's always a pleasure to see one.
Tom

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
Lone Ranger, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.  Your Drake is a real nice bow.  I've never seen a LH Drake before. Hope you are a lefty yourself and can enjoy shooting it. I love the feel of those smaller grips on his bows. I'd be real surprised if its anywhere close to the weight you mention, but-if you ever scale it-I'd surely appreciate if you would let me know if it's over 50. Whether you can actually shoot it or not, it's a darn nice bow for your wall.  

Mr. Sheppard, yours has an especially beautiful riser.  Those tip overlays are really nice.  

Tom

Offline Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
Great thread! oldbohntr that is a great collection, thank you for sharing. Does anyone knwo what was the last year Harry made bows under is own label, before he moved to Browning?
Lucas Kent

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
The riser does have a couple nice pieces of wood in it, a little bit of everything.

I had always wondered about the leather grip, if it was original or not. I see a few of yours have leather installed.

"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by oldbohntr:

Bo problem, the more conversation the better! I am having a custom string made up for it~ will measure it when it is done @ the shop for you!

L.R.
Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
Just noticed this DRAKE post, some cool bows you guys have.Couple Questions: There is a couple bows in pics that show the DRAKES lettered where these done when refinished ? I have never seen a Drake with any writing on it just DECAL. I have 3 LEFT hand Drakes 1 Hunterflite-Heavy weight 64-1/2# @ 26.
 Also 2 LEFTY Firedrakes mid 40's in weight.
 The Drake bows in alot of cases were ONE of a KIND which makes them cool.harry must have used whatever materials he had on hand and did not like waste.

The Firedrake was called "Firedrake Champion" if memory serves me right.Also DRAKE made a model I have NEVER seen "SHARK" which was shorter in length been looking for years for one !!!!
 I am interested in LEFTY  Drakes if anyone happens across any for sale.

Thanks

Tom
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2011, 08:27:00 AM »
geezsus Tom now I know where all of Harry's bows went.I'll call you later today bd

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2011, 04:29:00 PM »
Tom, I didn't see your post until just now.  I just found some new information in an old Feline Archery catalog and dug up this thread.  You are correct about the Champion model. I've never seen the word Champion on a Drake bow.  This am I was looking at a Feline catalog from 1961-62, and the Drakes are shown.  The Firedrake Champion was offered in 62, 64, 66, 69, and 70" lengths, regular or pistol grips, and weights to 60#.    The Hunter-Flights were all 54", and built with a "half & half" handle. This catalog is not dated, but it also shows the Pearson Bushmaster, and Wilson Bros TF, HF, and HB.  The Widow catalog info I have show those 3 bows available in '61 and '62 only, and at the same prices as this Feline Catalog.  The heaviest Firedrake I've ever seen is my 54# one, and it's labelled 68"(not a length shown in the Feline catalog.)

I think you are right about Harry.  He was careful with a buck, and didn't much care for convention.  Other than Hunterflights, which tended to fit a pattern, it seems that the others were just vaguely similar.  That, and they all shot well.  As far as the label, mine have not been refinished.  I did refinish the riser on a couple of Firedrakes, but they had nothing other than his sticker and the stamped number on them.  Those round stickers(decals, whatever)were pretty hardy though.  It's surprising how well they have held up on some bows that looked pretty beat up otherwise.  

I've never heard of or seen a Shark.  That'd be a nice one to find!   I know who you are...we had some dealings back in the nineties.  If I find a lefty, I'll let you know.   If you find a RH Firedrake above 50#, I'd appreciate the same.  

You hang out with bowdoc, huh?  Wow.  Aren't you about ready for a straightjacket after a few days of that?  I always am!

Tom Baldwin
Tom

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
Hi Tom B,
 How you been ??  I believe there was also a DRAKE made called the "Shark" hunting length bow and I have NEVER seen one nor know of anyone who owns one.
  I want a LEFTY 55# :-)

Note: I believe The Firedrake was made in 68" too !!
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
Been good.  Away from collecting for several years, but recently revived the interest.  Feels good again.  

There are so few Drake ads anywhere that it's hard to know about a "Shark" model.  If anyone else comes across an ad or bow, I hope they'll share pictures of it.  

Yeah, I have a 68" Firedrake.  Sure would like to find a 62-64" one....especially, if it was 50# or more.  Well, I do have a 62", one of the bows pictured earlier in the post, but it's kinda rough and only 36#.  It's very different from any other one I've seen in that it's very similar to a late 50s Kodiak. I may have to have ol' bowdoc give that one a face lift, as it could be a real looker again.

Sure wish I could find a way to fill that spot on your bear hunt - but it can't happen this year for me.

Tom
Tom

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
Been good.  Away from collecting for several years, but recently revived the interest.  Feels good again.  

There are so few Drake ads anywhere that it's hard to know about a "Shark" model.  If anyone else comes across an ad or bow, I hope they'll share pictures of it.  

Yeah, I have a 68" Firedrake.  Sure would like to find a 62-64" one....especially, if it was 50# or more.  Well, I do have a 62", one of the bows pictured earlier in the post, but it's kinda rough and only 36#.  It's very different from any other one I've seen in that it's very similar to a late 50s Kodiak. I may have to have ol' bowdoc give that one a face lift, as it could be a real looker again.

Sure wish I could find a way to fill that spot on your bear hunt - but it can't happen this year for me.

Tom
Tom

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
oldbohntr
Those certainly are some BEAUTIFUL looking bows you have there! Makes me want one.... Good thread, this is some interesting stuff.

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2011, 12:36:00 AM »
Yeah, Larry, I kinda have a weak spot for Harry's bows.  Not so much the Hunter-flight, although they are typically the more eye-catching ones....they're just too short to shoot very consistently for me.  Along that line, it's funny that Hunter-Flights are typically heavy weights, and a heavy Firedrake is unheard of!  

The Firedrakes are often not too fancy, with the early ones looking similar to some other California bows of that era, like Whites and Smithwicks.  But, they almost uniformly shoot very well. Those long limbs are really smooth. I've found most throw a 1918 or 2016 really well.  That's why I'm intrigued by the search for one that's a bit heavier and a bit shorter than most.  I just know there has to be one out there someplace!

You're from California.  Heck, he made them right in your back yard for years!  I'll bet there are some around there.  Good luck hunting them!
Tom

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
oldbohntr
I'll tell ya, I do a lot of hunting for the old bows. Not always sure what I'm looking at but do have FUN in the process. I'm with you in that I like a longer limbed bow. (prefer 66") With the info you guy's have put up here I'll have more knowledge in the future with the search. Thanks!

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2012, 07:04:00 AM »
I acquired a bunch of bows two weeks ago from the family of a local gentleman that recently passed away. Mostly bows he had picked up over the last thirty plus years in garage sales I believe. Got digging through them and found this one in the lot. It measures 70" and scaled 47# @ 28 on my scale.

Jack Shanks

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »
Wow, that's a pretty one! Harry surely loved making long recurves.  I've only found two Firedrakes under 66" long. One was 64" and one 62".  Still looking though.
Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©