3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dacron and tiny nocks?  (Read 258 times)

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
Dacron and tiny nocks?
« on: December 11, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
It seems I'm without my favorite FF compatible bow for awhile and I have a bunch of new carbons I wanted to try out.

I'm shooting a 12 strand dacron string on a 53# '59 Grizzly.  Serving with .026 Diamondback serving fits bohning classic nocks great.  I dropped down to .020 polygrip, but the nocks are still pretty tight on the carbons (Beman 400 Hawks from 3Rivers)

I see I can get .014 serving from either BCY or Brownell... is that going to do it or should I just drop down to 10 strands of B50?

Or, can I swap out the nocks on the carbons - any out there that have wider throats?
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dacron and tiny nocks?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 09:14:00 AM »
just get the same nocks and just sand them down till they fit the way You like them to fit.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »
sorry that way You can switch back to the other bow/string FF this way you can have them tuned for the nock/string combo

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 10:54:00 AM »
Two of those emery boards women use on there nails work great....
 Use two of them back to back and just snad out the notch....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
If you are shooting standard size carbons try some Easton 3D Super nocks(not the standard Super nocks) they have the largest and deepest throat of those type of nocks.They are my favorite nock I use without having to sand them to fit better.They also fit aluminum's with uni-bushing's.If you are shooting axis/mfx with X-nocks they are the only ones that fit those skinny carbons.I usally sand those out alittle.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 08:28:00 PM »
Sanding any nocks, let alone those tiny ones gives me the heebeejeebees.  I did some digging around, so here's some info for anyone else who was wondering

First off, the nocks on these arrows are the Easton super nocks.  The 3D super nocks throat opening is .102" and it looks like the normal super nocks have the same (?)

The Bohning classic nocks I put on all my woodies have a throat opening of .118".  The Bohning signature nocks for carbons have an opening of .112", which should be just the ticket with a 12 strand B50 flemish twist with .020 Polygrip serving.  If I can manage a trip up to the new Cabelas this weekend I'll let you know  :)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 08:33:00 PM »
I found that my 6" mill file thickness is just about right for shooting off of my 12 strand Dacron. I just run the file through there and work it till the resistance is gone.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©