INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Longbow ID Help  (Read 384 times)

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Longbow ID Help
« on: January 18, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
I have an opportunity to buy this longbow and quiver for $25.  The only problem is it is located an hours drive each way from me.  

I am wondering if you guys know anything about this bow?  The seller says he bought it in the "40's or 50's".  He measured it and says it is 67" besides that he has no more info.  He also told me it has no writing/markings on it what so ever.

If someone know what the approximent value of this package is please send me a PM with that info.

Thanks

Tenbrook

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow ID Help
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
The quiver looks like it is worth what he is asking for the pair. The bow looks like an old Ben Pearson and a lot of these were real low poundage.

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
Here is one more picture showing what may be some kind of mark?

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
I still say Ben Pearson, it does have a nice leather grip so maybe a decent poundage as well. The low poundage kids bows had vinyl on the grip. Those old longbows are a crap shoot. Some can be shooters and some can be kindling.

Offline ray tareila

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »
It's a Ben Pearson hickory longbow made by the kajillions. They were usually light poundage. The photo shows the place where the Ben Pearson rectangular decal was affixed. The decal would say "Ben Pearson Incorporated Pine Bluff, Arkansas." This look of hickory longbow was made prior to 1960. The length of this look bow was usually 66". There should be a 3 digit part number like 403 or 501 somewhere which will narrow it down. These bows are dime a dozen and often the riser reinforcement has to be reglued. Price of $25 for quiver and bow is fair. Ray

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
A nick the size of the one in the pic would be of no consequence, other than as a way to get the price even lower. Offer him twenty.

DDave

I just bought a 1961 Kodiak Special from the bay for 66 dollars because the seller, wanting to be honest, emphasized the vertical stress cracking in the limb finish and glass. The bow is already my go to choice and shoots like a dream. It will harvest more than one animal in its 50 anniversary year.
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
IMO that's a really long drive for that bow and quiver.

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
I'm gonna pass on it.  Thanks for all the help guys!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©