INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: vertical stress lines  (Read 386 times)

Offline copicasso

• Trad Bowhunter
vertical stress lines
« on: January 23, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
C an vetical stress lines be fixed on a 59 kodiak?

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: vertical stress lines
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
Yes, see Bowdocs restoration thread at the top of ths page.

doug77

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 04:50:00 AM »
The more I think about it the less inclined I am to believe they need to be fixed. They are part of the aging process for bows of that era and add something a little extra to the character of the bow.
I had some character marks on me at age 52 and so should they.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 05:09:00 AM »
I have a 61 KS, 63 Polar, 63 KS, and a pair of 60 Kodiaks, all with varying degrees of stress lines.

We put them all to work tonite with a variety of archers, most of whom had never really shot a recurve instinctively before.

The bows did what they were made to do back 50 or so years, the archers did their part with varying degrees of success, and everyone learned to love the simple act of chucking arrows and the simplicity of traditional archery.

We did not sweat the small stuff, arrows were sometimes the correct spine, sometimes not even close. Nock points and brace height were mostly just somewhere in the ball park.

Anchor points were all over the place, with the bows being a little heavier draw weight than reasonable, with the one lady shooter being the exception. Just an exceptionally strong and athletic individual she was shooting well enough to kill a deer at 10 metres by the end of her first night ever shooting a bow.

A thousand arrows from now they will all be shooting a lot better, but that initial thrill of those first arrows will be only a memory. I am sure that Papa Bear was smiling down on us as his children worked their magic once again.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 09:14:00 AM »
well my thought on stress cracks or whatever you like to call them.They really have nothing what so ever to do with stress but gots lots to do with expansation.You may even see them on the overlays of your riser of which there would be no way to stress that glass on something as thick as your riser because it never flexes.Fact is if your riser flexed your bow just broke.But at any rate my thoughts on them and the main reason I ever took time to repair em was because some of the little beggers go completley thru the glass and can expose the corewood.Hence wet moist corewood = danger danger danger bd

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by the real bowdoc:
well my thought on stress cracks or whatever you like to call them.They really have nothing what so ever to do with stress but gots lots to do with expansation.You may even see them on the overlays of your riser of which there would be no way to stress that glass on something as thick as your riser because it never flexes.Fact is if your riser flexed your bow just broke.But at any rate my thoughts on them and the main reason I ever took time to repair em was because some of the little beggers go completley thru the glass and can expose the corewood.Hence wet moist corewood = danger danger danger bd
Don, the problem with you fixing something on a bow is that when you are done it will look so good that I would be hesitant to shoot it.

Rest assured that if and when I decide to give my Kodiaks a face lift they will be coming to you, and you alone. You are the man and we are thankful for the unselfish way you share your knowledge and expertise with the gang.

DDave

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
double D once again sir I am humbled thank you bd

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 02:51:00 AM »
BD is right, they can be trouble I know for a fact because I owned several new Kodiaks that broke at full draw. Bear replaced hundreds if not thousands of bows.

If you can feel the line, moisture can get in and cause it to fail. If the finish is worn, or anything allows moisture/humidity to get to the wood, you may not be aware of the problem.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©