INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: cleaning up old arrows  (Read 384 times)

Offline alex b

• Trad Bowhunter
cleaning up old arrows
« on: January 23, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
hi, I recently got about 50 old bear microflite arrows. The fletching on all of them is torn up and the paint is terrible. how do I remove the fletching and all the paint on the shafts? I would really like to clean up these arrows and make them useable again.

thanks
alex

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: cleaning up old arrows
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
I answered this on Stickbow.

Offline yeager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
Alex,

I'm doing the same....still have 11 micro-flite 7's I used back in the 60's as a kid.  First, I "carefully" removed the fletching with a utility knife!  I then removed the old cresting and crown with acetone.  This area is 11.5" long and looks new after being cleaned compared to the front half which has weathered over the past 40 years.  I then bought 11.5" arrow wraps from Onestringer instead of recrown dipping and cresting (called them to special order as their scroll down menu only went to 10").

Hopes this helps,

Bob
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Bowhunter Assoc lifetime member
P&Y Club, Official Measurer

Offline lesaint45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 07:12:00 AM »
Another way and perhaps the easy way is to take a dip tube, the long one. Fill it with laquer thinner and let the shafts sook for 10 to 15 minutes. The thinner will remove the glue and paint. When removing the shafts wipe them dry and you are done. I might add this works well on wood also without hurting the straightnees or grain. It will also remove the glue holding the quill therefore not causing you to cut the shafts when trying to remove the fletch.
Larry

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
Remember that fiberglass shafts are glass and resin. Solvents  can soften/remove the resins, and also stain the shaft. If you must use a solvent then apply it to a scouring pad and scrub the shaft.
I have dipped glass shafts into solvent but not for 15 minutes. Dip-scrub.dip-scrub.

Hill broadhead pics?????

Offline alex b

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
Thanks for the help, I will buy acetone and start working on them tomorrow. Will let you know how it works.

alex

Offline alex b

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
I have been working on the arrows and am having trouble. It is working but very slowly.Is there any trick to do this?

thanks

Offline lesaint45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 02:29:00 AM »
If you have a plastic dip tube for shafts.  Try the suggestion I stated Laquer thinner I find that solvent that does not melt plastic. Surly won't hurt cured catalized resin found in fiber glass. Just a thought
Larry

Offline yeager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »

Alex,

Here are the microflites I cleaned up.  I used 11 1/2" wraps and double dogg from Onestringer.  I usually do not use that long of dip, but that's how long the original was and when cleaned off that area was definitely noticeable compared to the rest of the arrow.  All that's left is to fletch them up.

Bob
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Bowhunter Assoc lifetime member
P&Y Club, Official Measurer

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
Nice looking shafts.  Will try that.
Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement