INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: PICTURES ADDED....What year was it built ?  (Read 488 times)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
PICTURES ADDED....What year was it built ?
« on: January 25, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »
I picked up this Damon Howatt Hi-Speed and was wondering how old the bow was. It really doesn't matter other than to serve my curiosity   :)  

58" Damon Howatt Hi-Speed # HST 4334

Thank you
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: PICTURES ADDED....What year was it built ?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 05:16:00 AM »
Stop teasing us and post some pics. Those can be some of the prettiest bows going.

Howattman ought to be along shortly and he can tell you what year your bow was born.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
I don't have the bow yet only the serial number and a general description of condition and that it has a rosewood riser and has had the tips reworked for fast flight? When I get it I'll be glad to post pictures  :)  

Just wondering when it was built?
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Howattfan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 11:37:00 AM »
Based on the serial number, it could be 1964 or 1974.  I think the Mamba replaced the high speed after that.  Photos would be awesome.
"Even when troubled, maintain the spirit of the bow and arrow and it will heal your sickness".

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
Thank you, I have read quite a few good things about them and got this opportunity to try one. I'll be more than happy to post picture when it get here  :)

Thanks again

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
The riser is rosewood with a straight accent stripe...looks to have a bushing in the picture but not positive? Does that help distinguishing 64 or 74 ? Just thought it might make a difference. The pictures I have are very bad so I guess I'll just have to wait see?

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
Ok!!!

Got the Hi-Speed today you asked for pictures so here you go...

Riser..

Profile..looks really good...

string is right down the center...no twist...

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 05:26:00 PM »
Recently I have been playing with some vintage bows a 57 Kodiak, Ben Pearson Cougar (that can be had for a song and really shoot well for me) and now this Hi-speed. What a sweet shooter!!

I shoot quite a few bows in this weight range so I grabbed some arrows I thought would work and let it rip @ 18yds. This is the first three shots, two fletched and one bare shaft. What do you think will this dog hunt? The only negative I can express is some resonance in the limbs that I think I can fix by padding the loops.

What a Sweeeeet shooter.

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »
Excellent! Those 58" Hi-Speeds sure are sweet shooters.

If you ever decide to part with your '57 Kodiak look me up!

Offline Xavier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 12:10:00 AM »
That is sweet. Amazing how these old bows just hold their own!

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »
1963-1964 rosewood riser Hi-Speed oh yeah it don't get any better then that BEAUTIFUL bow bd

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
Thanks Guys.. she's got a few battle scars but what a sweet shooter. I would say she's in great shape for her age but she is a youngster next to me   :)  
She shoots real well right off the shelf. Is that the way it should be done with this bow?

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »
Coaster that's a beauty!! Good shooting too!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
Thanks Bjorn, couldn't let you have all the fun with these Vintage Beauties  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©