INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: anyone make strings ?  (Read 381 times)

Offline jixxerbill

• Trad Bowhunter
anyone make strings ?
« on: February 05, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
i need a string made for an old bear bow that belonged to my dad, i was wondering if anyone on here made them to sell... i have the origional string but one end is unraveling , i could send it to someone to match it up.....the bow also always had a problem with the top limb, when reaching full draw the limb wants to rotate to the right, is this something that can be fixed or is it normal? sorry for newb questions...bill

Offline Steven_CO

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: anyone make strings ?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
If need be, give Rocky Mountain Specialties a call.

They're one of the sponsors on this site I think.
Steve

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 11:32:00 AM »
The string's not a problem.  I'll give you one of those, if you pay the postage.  I make a new one for every bow I collect and those often are barely shot after breaking them in. Just tell me your Bear model, length, and draw weight.  

The limb twist is a different matter. Your description implies it's not just a small misalignment.   There are a lot of opinions on this, but unless the twist is extremely slight, I don't consider it wise to try to fix or shoot it. Sometimes it can be done by just "bumping"(twisting it back towards the right configuration)and some say gentle heat can help.  I'm with Raineman on this....if the glue joint is failing, or heat crystalizes the glue, it could be a catastrophic failure waiting to happen.  

My rule of thumb: if you can bump it into position so the string returns to the groove for  entire your entire shooting session then the bow is usable.  If the string repeatedly fails to return to the groove after bumping it....make it a wall hanger.  Just my opinion.
Tom

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
There are a few reasons the bow may be wanting to twist while drawing.  A real common one is the string grooves aren't cut evenly.  I've handled quite a few where this was the case (heck, I've made a few where this was the case LOL!)

A less common reason is the glass was ground thinner on one side.  I've owned two old Bears that were like this.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Xavier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
Just as I suspected - I got a refinished bow back and noticed  a very slight twist... And suspected the tip grooves being uneven, and they are.
Now I need to figure out how to file the shallow one down and refinish just that groove.
It is a sweet k mag and I want it perfect.
I was thinking of filing it down and dabbing truoil on with a cotton swab.

Offline Xavier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
here are pics of the tips of the k mag. i notice some uneven wear in the string grooves. and the top limb twists over so slightly as it is drawn.

Offline Xavier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
Just as I suspected - I got a refinished bow back and noticed  a very slight twist... And suspected the tip grooves being uneven, and they are.
Now I need to figure out how to file the shallow one down and refinish just that groove.
It is a sweet k mag and I want it perfect.
I was thinking of filing it down and dabbing truoil on with a cotton swab.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©