INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 59 kodiak  (Read 845 times)

Offline Slewfoot62

• Trad Bowhunter
59 kodiak
« on: February 20, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
Oh happy day I finally got me a 59 kodiak after looking for one for a while. It is 64in. and 45lb cant wait for it to arrive.

Offline ahandle70

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 59 kodiak
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
Congrats...I was surpised yesterday with a 56" 1960 Kodiak.  I bet your's will shoot like a dream.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
Cool, be sure to post some pics.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 07:09:00 PM »
Congrats Slew! KYArcher

Offline Slewfoot62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
Maybe it will show up before the shoot this weekend. Looking forward to shooting it. Never had my hands on a 59. Can you guys tell me what I am in for?

Offline Slewfoot62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
Got my bow today. Should have bought a bow like this to begin with. Shoots where you look and so smooth. I love it and a shoot this weekend to boot!

Offline coyote1956

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 11:42:00 AM »
the 59 is so smooth mine is 50# and 64"  like you say shoots where i look too. have fun.
Go Afield wih bow and arrow  shoot and enjoy archery !!

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
1959 Kodiak 64" and 45#....Very Nice. Would love to see some pics!!!???

Offline coyote1956

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
Yes have to post pix man c'mon let's see it.
Go Afield wih bow and arrow  shoot and enjoy archery !!

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
he must still be in awe from shooting it......dadgumit.

Wish one of you guys  would send me a 59 K and a 59 K Special so I could hunt with them just ONE season...  :goldtooth:  ...then decide which I want to try to trade for or buy.....someday.
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 12:35:00 AM »
Real nice 59 on the bay right now. Would not tell you about it but I already bought the 60.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 06:43:00 AM »
But you like your 61 KS, DAVE.......best send that 60 to ME, where it's APPRECIATED.....lol

I missed a KS on the bay? Dont tell me that. arghhh, Cash? what's that? LOL

ANOTHER dozen bubblehead Bear arrows appeared?
WHO (other than un-mentioned, WELL known certain members here) has been HORDING THESE BACK?
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
Steve,

Nope you missed a 59 Kodiak on the bay. It is mine now too and yer gonna just have to make the sacrifice of coming here to shoot one of our big ole Alberta mulies or whitetails when you hunt with me. This tough winter we are having is gonna take its tole on bone this fall. My dad was a railroader who saw the same deer a lot and he always said that antler size was related to the severity of the winter.

I got to thinkin whether it would be easier to get more money or another pristine 59 Kodiak and I decided it was a no brainer. I must be addicted cause I am even considering selling a gun or two.

The 60 is a pristine LH Kodiak as well.

The nice thing is that paying in Canadian dollars actually reduces the cost right now.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline AALLFAB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
That 1960 shows a little stress at the fades but by the photographs they clearly do not get much better than your 2 new bows, great scarce weights also, Congratulations. What is up with you shooting right and left. Jim

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
My twins, that clearly have had the royal treatment, show considerably more stress lines. I am learning that the lines are kind of insignificant, yet it is still cosmetically nice to not have them.

Well being right handed but left eye dominant, and having a grandfather who shot left handed, it was natural for me to begin shooting guns left handed as a kid. I was pouring through my dads old Shooter Bibles from the time I was five.

As I became of age to hunt the only rifle that was available to me was a P17 Enfield which is of course right handed. So one day in antiquity I just decided to learn to shoot right handed. Turned out that as a 14 year old, 45 years ago, I did not know it was supposed to be hard.

Now skip forward to the early nineties when I started to get serious about archery. I was working in a fishing tackle, hardware, gun store for a friend and he told me one day that we were gonna start selling bows, mostly High Country, and that he would get a demo bow for me, and would I prefer right or left handed. Since there is a far larger market for rh bows than left I opted for right. I shot that bow very well out to 60 yards with some of the early pultruded carbons (at 270 fps with my then 32 inch draw).

I got interested in having my own bow after a while and decided that I really ought to own a leftie to match my dominant eye. I was intrigued by the new solo cam and somehow managed to learn that the Canadian distributor was in Calgary. In short I ended up with one of the first lh Mathews in Canada, serial number 751. I shot that bow with a relax type release to make it closer to fingers as I fully intended to get into trad archery as well, our club was full of people shooting old Bears and then Kempf customs or maybe Chek Mates.

Well I never did get into trad at that time, my eyes got to the point where I was pretty dodgy with sights and I just quit shooting for about 7 or 8 years. Then in 2009 I moved to a northern Saskatchewan community where archery was alive and well, buying first a lh Ben Pearson target curve and then a rh Damon Howatt. My intent was to shoot target style left handed and instinctive right. Well obviously that all went out the window and here I am today.

Last weekend I shot at the Mother of All Shoots in Red Deer my lh Gharing for the first round, my rh ACS for the second round and the Twins, each for about half, the third round. I did not shoot very well, what I did do is have a great time telling others about the virtues of traditional archery, shooting old bows, collecting you name it, which will help me in my new position as Membership Chair and Treasurer for the Alberta Traditional Bowhunters Association.

Now I did not set out to write a book to answer a short question; that is just where it ended up.

And btw what is with the incredibly fascinating avatar?

DDave

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
Right now I have two of my favourites, the LH Gharing I call Beartooth and my RH ACS I call Jake the Snake/Beavertail (to distinguish the fact I am shooting it with the RH riser) set up and ready to shoot in my driveway. When I shoot it with the LH riser I will call it Jake the Snake/Zebra.

Now before dark I am gonna head out and shoot a few left and a few right and enjoy until me new dog shows up shortly.

DDave

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »
Just shot these two arrows, one left and one right, aiming the top arrow at the bottom one. Aim small, miss small is always good advice.

DDave

Offline AALLFAB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 01:40:00 AM »
Wow good shooting. If you are asking about my avatar it is a piece of art I have that I took a photo of that is a wolf warrior holding a nice recurve. Jim

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
I forgot to mention that I was only shooting at 10 metres. I do most of my practice at that distance to work on form.

Here is one member of my wolf collection, Jim. An original drawing by one of my students who was badly brain injured in a snowmobile accident.

And a dual shelf long bow blank that will be dual shelf when finished.

DDave

Offline AALLFAB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
Cool. I cant tell exactly what I am looking at in the nice wood bow photo. Jim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©