INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Does wood dry out and become brittle ? (old bear bow)  (Read 315 times)

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
Does wood dry out and become brittle ? (old bear bow)
« on: March 04, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
I ask the question about wood drying out because I gave an old ossage self bow to a friend, he used it for a few years and then the lower limb snapped. The thing we both noticed is the wood appeared to be extremely dry, small splinters, snapped like a dead dried out branch ( hmmmm..... I guess that's what a self bow is )  we all know a live green or wet branch is hard to snap. With this description to set the mindset I am wondering if an old bow needs some oil or way of getting life to the limbs ? In particular I'm talking about my 1950's bear cubs I have, I want to play around with one and do some shooting, but am concerned about this dried out brittle wood. I wouldn't know how to get oil into the wood thru the finish anyways, but just wanted to throw this thinking out there to see how others feel about this.
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
Re: Does wood dry out and become brittle ? (old bear bow)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 02:31:00 AM »
Excellent question for Bowyer Forum, you will probably find more guys that can help there.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
Old self bows most often had oil finishes and that could allow drying over the years.  I have collected self bows for years and, in general, I don't consider shooting them a good policy.

However, there used to be a product called Wood Rejuvenator by Wood Medic and it was wonderful.  I was successful making quite a few old lemonwood, osage, and hickory bows shoot by repeatedly warming the bow and the liquid, wiping it on in thick coats, and letting it soak in for days.  Then I would string the bow with a long string, at about a 3-5" brace height, oil it again and let it sit for a day or so.  Then, increase the brace height to maybe 12-13", and let it sit again.  Then to about 24", and then to 28".  Only then did I draw the bow.  I am confident a good percentage of those bows would have broken if I just threw on a string and jerked it back, but I never lost one with this process.  Of course, I put on a french polish or oil finish after the bow was working ok.  

Rekindling my collecting interest after a 5 year layoff, last year went looking for some more of that stuff.   Wood Medic is no more and googling Wood Rejuvenator brought up some new materials, but not that magic stuff that worked so well.  

I also used it on laminated bows that showed little finish left and it may have helped....but I couldn't be sure....tho any oil applied to dried old wood surely makes it look better!   I think your Cub is likely ok to shoot anyway.  Apply some English Oil or some other good wood treatment, maybe with some warmth, and give it a go.  I've had a bunch of Cubs from the 50's and always end up letting them go to a new archer or youth who needs an inexpensive, reliable longbow.  Have never had one break in my hands or theirs.  

I am looking for an old Cub for my wife now, one of the early ones with honey-colored glass, something around 40# or less.  Wouldn't you know, I can't find one when I'm trying!
Tom

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
Well, the last post got me thinking about it again, and I tried searching the web again.  Sure enough, there is now a Watco product called Wood Rejuvenating Oil.  Maybe I just missed it before, who knows?  But,I do know that's a product I'm gonna find and try!
Tom

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by Hud:
Excellent question for Bowyer Forum, you will probably find more guys that can help there.
Hey thanks for the replies ! I thought maybe I was asking a stupid question and was not getting responses. I looked at the bowyer forum but thought that was for new bow making, not sure     :thumbsup:  I need to find some off that  Wood Rejuvenating Oil,
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©