INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: BH Prefix 1960 Kodiaks  (Read 8094 times)

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: BH Prefix 1960 Kodiaks
« Reply #200 on: February 11, 2014, 09:06:00 AM »
Just got this back from the bow Hospital

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #201 on: February 11, 2014, 09:07:00 AM »

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #202 on: February 11, 2014, 09:11:00 AM »

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #203 on: February 11, 2014, 09:13:00 AM »

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #204 on: February 11, 2014, 11:05:00 PM »
The one thing I have overlooked is that I really ought to have titled this thread "BH Series 1959/1960 Kodiak"...any discussion of one year often leads to a discussion of the other

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #205 on: February 13, 2014, 09:40:00 AM »
I feel compelled to talk about a misconception that many may have regarding the relationship of Fred and Nels after Nels left Bear in 1948.  

As many of you know, I acquired John Grumley's collection of bows made by his father, Nels Grumley. Actually the collection included Nels' photos, awards, tools, maps, letters, first deer, etc as well as the collectible non Grumley items.

Some may not realize that Nels was one of the Bear Archery Stock holders and kept his Bear Stock, even after he left Bear. He never sold it until all the stock holders had to sell, or exchange it, when Fred made the decision to sell the company.

The misconception that I'd like to clear up is that there is indisputable and conclusive evidence that Fred and Nels remained friends as well as business partners long after Nels left Bear.

Nels Grumley was the greatest bowyer of archery's golden era when men still made bows by hand. Nels' amazing God given talents as a craftsman were not being utilized by working on laminated bows that were being made by gluing up pre-fab parts that were then run through duplicating machines to turn out factory made bows.

Nels left Bear, started his own bow shop, and for a couple of years, did what he wanted to do and what he was great at doing, and made many styles of great bows.

Nels kept his Bear Archery Stock and kept his friends, don't let anyone mislead you.  

Leaving Bear may not have been Nels' wisest financial decision, but then selling Bear Archery Company, may not have been Fred's wisest financial decision either.

Who among us has not made a less than wise financial decision? Whatever less than wise decision was made, we probably still managed to keep our real friends.

And yes, during the 1950s after Nels closed his bow shop, he began shooting Bear recurves... Anyone got a photo of Nels shooting a 1959 or 1960 Bear Kodiak???
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #206 on: February 13, 2014, 12:00:00 PM »
Wade,
Thank you for your post. I lived close to John Grumley and considered him a friend for over 20 years. I know he struggled with what to do with his collection of his dads bows and the other historical stuff he had and I was so glad to see it in your hands.  I think I posted elsewhere on another thread that John was using a Gainesville wood B-handle takedown for his day in and day out hunting (in fact that bow was hanging with some of his clothing on a rack at his memorial service).  If Nels or John had ill will towards Bear Archery, he wouldn't have been using there current bows and John never said a peep accordingly.  The only time I saw John using a bow other than the take-down was when he had some copies of some bows from the Brooks Brothers out of Ohio that John said were the closest thing to his dads bows that he ever saw. In the TBM article that I wrote about Shrewhaven Lodge a year ago, there is a picture of John in front of the cabin and he's using the Brooks Brothers replica of his dad's bows.

John should've been the focus of an interview for TBM years ago, as he was one of the true historians of archery, just like Floyd Eccleston.  That opportunity has passed. I think of John often.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #207 on: February 13, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
here's the picture from the article with John Grumley (second from left next to Ron LaClair) with a Brooks Brothers copy of his dads bows.

[/url] [/IMG]
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #208 on: July 16, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »
ttt
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #209 on: September 09, 2014, 03:09:00 AM »
As long as I am alive this thread will never die...bouncing it back to the top because someone requested to see the Wade Philips pic that he so generously offered early in the thread...next time you think you know how a 1960 Kodiak feels in the hand take a look at that picture...they feel a lot of different ways...and btw BH376 is going elk hunting with me right away...the full moon and the snow here should get the rut under way a bit early

DDave

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #210 on: September 09, 2014, 03:49:00 AM »
Just bumped two other threads up above this one...now I have to rebump this one...can anyone say disorganized old airhead

DDave

Offline Gaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #211 on: September 18, 2014, 01:27:00 AM »
cool thread with some beautiful Bears
"... He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver" Is 49:2

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #212 on: September 18, 2014, 08:22:00 AM »
Randy as you can tell from my earliest posts I had no idea where this thread was going to go...the big thing it did for me was bring Wade Phillips out to play when he had been MIA for some time, just as he has been lately...in my mind Wade is the premier Bear collector today if only by a small margin...I am a small potatoes Bear guy compared to many who chimed in on the thread and I find myself referring to it about once or twice a year as a source of some great pictures and maybe even better information

DDave

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #213 on: January 06, 2015, 06:44:00 PM »
Happy New Year to all my Bear collecting friends who I have yet to meet...let's run this one again for the beginning of a new year

DDave

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #214 on: January 06, 2015, 08:00:00 PM »
Happy New Year DD!

BTW, did I miss your post on the moose hunt?  Did you bloody one of those nice Bears you have?
Lon Scott

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #215 on: January 06, 2015, 08:34:00 PM »
Is this a New Years assignment teacher Dave?  I would like to meet you fellows but the distance from Texas is a bit much.

I do not own any 1960 Kodiaks so there is no reference piece for me to handle and study.  I am handicapped on this one.

Happy New Years to the few special people that show up on this forum.
Brad Lehmann

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #216 on: January 08, 2015, 07:17:00 AM »
Lon you did not miss my post on the non-hunt...first work kept getting in the way...then when I decided hunting would take priority Alberta's ugly November weather got in the way...I have a better plan for this fall though...unless things change I can get a tag for the much earlier archery season closer to home and I should be collecting at least some pension by then to give me more time to hunt...that will make a big difference...Brad there are these big shiny things called airplanes that fly from places like Dallas or Houston to Calgary every day...the other Brad, aka trubltrubl, and I could meet you at the airport and we could be shooting at Calgary Archery Centre an hour later...Al, the owner, has quite a few nice old Bears hanging on the walls and he only displays the poor quality stuff

DDave

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #217 on: June 21, 2015, 04:08:00 PM »
I never get tired of running this one through again...just a great example of how much expertise and knowledge we can access through this forum...in many way trad history and collecting is about Bear archery products

DDave

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #218 on: January 22, 2016, 10:59:00 AM »
Time to run this one to the top again...there was an amazing 64 inch lefty up for auction and I simply did not have the money in the right place to get it...lesson there that a collector needs to be ready all the time

DDave

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #219 on: January 25, 2016, 02:41:00 PM »
Thanks for putting this up.  I have been thinking of getting a bow from the year I was born and this helped me decide to watch for a 1960 kodiak or kodiak special.  I guess I have to sell a bow to fund this.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©