INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Question about whale jawbone "Photo's added"  (Read 714 times)

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
Question about whale jawbone "Photo's added"
« on: March 13, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
A co-worker has a bow that his Uncle gave him. His uncle told him that he got it from a guy out in the state of Washington. Which that guy bought it from a guy in Alaska. The bow was supposed to be made from a whales jawbone. Has anyone heard of this being done. The bow is suppose to be really old.  He is going to show me the bow on Thurs. If I can I will take some photo's and I will post them.

Craig
Schafer Silvertip

Re: Question about whale jawbone "Photo's added"
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
Interesting...will enjoy the pics for sure.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
My family history comes from New Bedford, Ma. They were all in the whaling industry, we have tons of stuff made from whalebone and teeth from spears, arrowheads, forks and knives to a full umbrella dressed with whale skin leather.

Love to see the bow, whale bone definitely yellows with age.
David M. Conroy

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
Google "baleen bow" and you will be on track.

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
I will keep everyone posted
Schafer Silvertip

Offline the longbowkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
I know that in the days of commercial whaling, baleen was referred to as "whalebone". could be what your talking about.
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 50@28

"too many people live under the misguided impression that death is the worst possible of natural events"
  -John G. Mitchell, "The Hunt"

Offline huntnfool62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
I was thinking baleen as well !My cousin lives in AK and has a large "piece" of baleen hanging on the wall. It is supposed to be very valuble and used in many differant ways . as a sovineer hunter you can find little baskets 4" wide 3" deep  woven from baleen and they are very expensive 300.00 and up if I remember correctly. It would not surprise me to see a bow made from it.
Dean

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
here are some photo's. The bow is made out of one piece, no lamminations.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/Cbireley/004-2.jpg

Schafer Silvertip

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
Well,that does not look like baleen to me,baleen is dark. Is the entire bow made from the jawbone? I don't know what it is but it is pretty sweet looking.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
It's made from one piece. It looks like it could of been made from bone, but I'm not an expert on old bows. The guy that has it said his uncle gave it to him 50 years ago. He doesn't know how long his uncle had it and also his uncle bought it used from another guy.
Schafer Silvertip

Offline TradDad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »
That looks pretty cool. I was doing a search to see if anyone has ever used whale bone for limb tips, this gives me hope! Thanks for sharing
But his bow abode in strength, and the arms of his hands were made strong by the hands of the mighty God of Jacob;(from thence is the shepherd, the stone of Israel:) -Genesis 49:24

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
that bow is build out of a type of plastic not baleen.Baleen has lots of different colors to it mostly darker gray black-ish to an almost soft white in some spots.However the real good baleen for bow building is the darker color thicker stuff bd

Offline huntnfool62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »
really cool!!can't see that being made with any Baleen   :dunno:  all one piece of bone ?
How does it flex ? definately a conversation piece .
Dean

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 08:21:00 PM »
What ever it's made from it's all one piece. Doesn't look like plastic. It does look like bone. I told the guy don't string it.
Schafer Silvertip

Offline bearmagtd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
It is fiberglass from the late 40's to the very early 50's. It may be from Indain Archery , I had one at one time and traded it of.If you do string it give it over night before you pull it back. Make some short draws first and check the glass for spliters, and any noises. Then if it looks ok you might try it.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
I don't beleave 100% bone would flex enough.But trust me guys that bow is made of an early plastic resin.I have one in my shop almost like it mine is a bit greener tone.Check the auction sight they come up for sale about once a week.I just came across this resin bow.They came in all shapes sizes and colors 150581595129 bd

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 12:10:00 AM »
I've been looking at bows a long time and I don't recognize that as wood, fiberglass, baleen, or anything. To me, it looks like it could be bone.  But, I would believe that bone would not be likely to bend reliably and repeatably-as required to make a bow, and old bone would fracture when it dried and then flexed. Mysterious, and pretty neat.   I hope you follow up and tell us what you learn.
Tom

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 06:56:00 AM »
It's difficult to determine the material from photos, but I'd think it'd take only a second to do so hands on.  Baleen it's not.  Bone is porous and poorly adapted for a selfbow [of one material].

The bow looks production plastic/fiberglass to me as well.  The brush guards suggest a midwestern influence and probably late 50s/60s.  The tennis wrap handle was common on wooden production lemonwood and hickory bows [York, Indian, Pearson, etc.] of that era as well as the stripped trim on the handle wrap.  The shape appears molded not whittled out.

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
When you look at the bow it doesn't look like it was molded. On the nock ends and rest you can see cut marks from being shaped. I need to see if the guy would let me show it to someone that knows a lot about old bows. Maybe I can get it up to ETAR this July.
Schafer Silvertip

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 02:16:00 AM »
Molded....."to form into a particular shape; give shape to"....like from a 3"X3"X60" block of plastic resin, fiberglass, lemonwood or hickory.  Thousands of early wooden and plastic bows were "molded" under this definition.  

Look closely at an early hickory Pearson flat bow and the first thing you notice is the violation of grow rings on the back.  No attempt to follow a growth ring, just sawn into a rough form and finished up.

The billet was sawn into a rough form of the bow design; cleaned up with files, sanding, etc., and final finishing.  The plastic/fiberglass bows weren't highly finished.

A couple of things noted.  First, you have apparently made up your mind this bow is whale bone.  It might very well be and you could easily have determined that with a little effort, but choose to post it here using only "hear say" to valid your position.

The easiest method to valid or prove existence or authenticity is attempt to dis-prove it.  That's the best method in dealing with history IMO.  The reason is certain things cannot be easily validated or proven. If you cannot "dis-credit" the item or issue, it lends weight to it being authentic, even when it cannot be validated. Kinda' like that old "shell game."  If you raise two of the shells and the pea is absent...the pea must be under the remaining shell.   :)

If the bow turns out to be from whale bone, its pretty rare, if not.......you should have been able to figure that on your own.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©