INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear archery experts question on manufacture date etc  (Read 387 times)

Offline Monroe

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear archery experts question on manufacture date etc
« on: March 14, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »
Bought a garage sale bow to check my interest level in trad archery.  It is a Bear glass powered kodiak hunter, manufactured by Bear archery co in Grayling Mich.  It lists 3 US Pat #s and says Canada 1953 under the US pat #s.  On the side it states 8T11421, AMO-60", 50#.  I'm wondering what the age of the bow is and what general observations are available ref that model and time frame.  Is the 8T11421 a serial number?  Is the Canada 1953 the date that pattern was patented in Canada?  Oh, and the garage sale bow has verified my trad bow interest level is extrememly high......probably too high.   :)  THX.  Any info is of interest and appreciated.
Monroe

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear archery experts question on manufacture date etc
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
It will be a big help if you could describe the bow itself:  is it a combinination of two woods or is it green futurewood?

Offline Big Bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
your kodiak hunter would be a 1968.

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
Big Bird is correct. The Grayling Bears from the mid-to-late sixties were the easiest of all to identify age wise. The serial numbers began with the year of manufacture.

Offline Monroe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
Thx much.  ANy feedback on how they are reputed to perform etc?  Or is that such a personal thing it's not really a question with an answer?
Monroe

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
excellllllent shooters and those were built just about bomb proof.You do not see many broken from normal use Kodiak Hunters from any of the years they were built.KH's were all pretty darn good bows and priced right.I should add just in case anyone was asking fairly good arrow speed too.As I recall in the 180 feet per second with correct arrow weight......but I might have to look that up.Great bows bd

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Monroe:
Bought a garage sale bow to check my interest level in trad archery.  It is a Bear glass powered kodiak hunter, manufactured by Bear archery co in Grayling Mich.  It lists 3 US Pat #s and says Canada 1953 under the US pat #s.  On the side it states 8T11421, AMO-60", 50#.  I'm wondering what the age of the bow is and what general observations are available ref that model and time frame.  Is the 8T11421 a serial number?  Is the Canada 1953 the date that pattern was patented in Canada?  Oh, and the garage sale bow has verified my trad bow interest level is extrememly high......probably too high.    :)   THX.  Any info is of interest and appreciated.
Sorry to tell you but your trad bow interest can never be too high. Now the cost of that interest, that is another thing entirely.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Monroe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
Well said.  Thank you.
Monroe

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 05:48:00 PM »
Nice bow. Enjoy......
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 01:37:00 AM »
This is the sort of thing that can happen.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©