INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Info needed on 1964 kodiak *Pictures*  (Read 781 times)

Offline alex b

• Trad Bowhunter
Info needed on 1964 kodiak *Pictures*
« on: March 15, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
Hi, I just bought a 1964 kodiak that is in perfect condition (according to the seller and pictures.) I am looking for info on how rare/collectable they are, how they shoot, what you like/dislike about them, ect.

thanks alex

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Info needed on 1964 kodiak *Pictures*
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
For sure more opinions will show up,but if you make a search here you'll find lots of informations.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline AALLFAB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
They are fairly hard to come by and argued by many to be the best ever made by Bear. Only dislike is the riser is not as attractive in lamination work and overall shape as many others. Jim

Offline Mike/Columbia Basin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
The 64 is one of the faster bows that Bear made. It is a good solid shooter.

Offline NumPls

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
Alex -

Here is one Topic that may give you some of the information that seek. There are lots of others here, too.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=003496

And, when you get your bow, be sure to post photos for us to drool over!

Ray

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
I call the '64 Kodiak the ""THUNKER" because of the destinctive "Thunk" sound it makes when shot.

I disagree with the statement made above, I think the plain looking '64 is much preetier than the '5 or '66.  However, we will all have our own opinion.

There seems to be a tie on which is the best hunting bow that Bear ever made.  It is between the '59 and the '64 Kodiaks.  Again this is subject to opinion.

It is one of the most collectible recurves out ther, but I would not call it rare.  There are many around and they come up quite often.  What ius really going to effect the price is 1.  the condition, and 2. the draw weight.  Anything over 50# is kinda hard to find and will usually command a higher price.

Enjoy it for what it is whether you have it as a shooter or a collectors item.  Hold on to it...keep it cherry...the value will only go up.

@RAY - Good post...I had never seen TimberlineX's post.  It was an interesting read.  

Also, don't discout the '63 Dogleg.  Although it bares an undesearved bad reputation because of the Type I & II 52" doglegs.  It is a very good solid shooting bow.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
I'm counting the minutes until this weekend to actually see the particular 64K.  The word is that this bow is unshot and in absolutely dead mint condition!

I won't go into all the details and will pass the baton on to Alex to provide all the juicy details of its history and photos.

OK Alex........I know it will be this weekend before you are home and get to post.....you're up to bat!    :readit:  

:campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline 69RECURVE

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
Alex,

I am going to say almost the same thing as Papalapin.

My 64 @ 58# was brand new in the box from 1964 & never shot. So I did pay a premium.

Thunker is a great description on the definitive sound it makes but man does it send an arrow down line. In my opinion it is my fastest Kodiak and I have them from 57 to 65.

I debated for quite a while to shoot mine or not and I decided Fred made these bows to be shot and not just looked at.

Rare not really they are out there you just need to be patient or be willing to part with some cash if you find one you like.

I agree that whatever you do go out and shoot it you won't believe how these old bows stack up to these more modern recurves.

Also I did my own speed test on a trio of Kodiaks 61, 62 & 63 all 45# and the winner was the 61# but not by much.

Have fun.

Andy

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »
Hi Alex.
The 64' Kodiak is a special bow in several ways.
First, we are now seeing the "initial shape" of the super kodiak that will appear 3 years later.
The bow may not have trim stripes thru the handle but it is a very handsome bow in anybody's book.
second is it's performance. A terrific shooter and very balanced. The 62' Kodiak is my personal favorite and the 64' comes in 2nd.
I would say that it is one of the best shooters Bear archery made. You have bought yourself a dandy!
If you decide it's not for you, send me a PM and I can help you move it to a new home....lol.....Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline alex b

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 12:33:00 AM »
Thanks for all the information. I see the bow on friday but already learned some new things about it.  The bow  is #40 and comes in a leather case. My father, who has the bow currently said it is flawless. The seller said it was never shot! I will make sure to get pictures up asap.

Alex

Offline alex b

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 12:34:00 AM »
I forgot to mention it is 60"

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 12:48:00 AM »
An unshot 60", '64 kodiak? Actually two mentioned on this thread.  Well, that's a shame,for those who passed up the chance to shoot them earlier. Fred Bear wanted his bows to be shot - all bowyers do- and he's watching us from the Great Beyond....so, it's up to us to shoot them all! So, get out there and do your part!
Tom

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 03:53:00 AM »
where's those pics ? you mean I got up at 1 AM to look at the pics and notta.....please oh please come on friday.If I ever get this stupid pc working again I'll post some pics of a couple of really nice looking 55# 1964 Kodiaks ? bd

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 06:15:00 AM »
PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU POST

any threads/posts that involve any talk of bows 'n' money will get shut down faster than yer brain can think.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 06:18:00 AM »
we will Rob I swear to you we been trying to keep it straight bd

Offline alex b

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
I am very happy with the bow so far.I Can't wait till tomorrow to shoot it!
Alex

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 02:24:00 AM »
Very clean 64.For sure they are great performer.
I have one and I like it; I am giving it  away to a friend just for friendship,but I will miss it.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 06:17:00 AM »
holy begeezus one very fine looking bow right there.That is one beautiful Kodiak..........now that was worth getting up at 2 AM for beauty at its finest thanks for showing those pics bd

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
ROB...unless I missed something, I saw no mention of money.

Alex... Nice bow...I know these bows were meant to be shot, but I disagree here a bit.   A bow is only a virgin until it is shot the first time...then it is not.  I have one virgin bow and it will stay that way.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©