INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Any alternatives?  (Read 396 times)

Offline jrbows

• Trad Bowhunter
Any alternatives?
« on: March 15, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
Saw in the resto thread of the"DOC's" he used loctite 420 for the riser cracks,I don't have a local outlet for that product,the split I'm needing to fix is about the thickness of a  thumbnail wide and pretty shallow,and I'm not sure it's placement will let me squeeze it back together,it's about halfway in and starts in the upper part of the grip and runs over the edge of the arrow shelf tapering and ending about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch above the shelf,the bow is going to be a shooter and not a collector piece I'd just like for it to be intact,thanks in advance for any ideas,help,etc.
SAVE A STUMP SHOOT A DEER

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »
hummmmmmm you can buy LT 420 mail order from grainger.But if thats not going to work for you.Do you have a home depot near you ? if so they sell loc tite products and have a thin super glue that may work good for your repair ???? bd

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
The local Lowes has it, also.

I have used meduim CA (cyanoacrylate - hobby shops & hardware store "Super Glue") with good results in dings and thin CA in hairline cracks, but make no promises that it is as good as 420.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
If you are like me and the "local" Lowes dont usuallyhave what I WANT.....lol. It is sometimes available, and is today (just looked) on our non favorite auction online.  Leave out the 420 in the search.

Seller has em all and you pick the version. Aint the cheapest Ive seen it but .......quickly available. PM me if you cant find it. Price is less than some other places Ive seen it.

Isnt the most Ive seen it for either. Wont post a link here and get railroaded hehe

God Bless
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline jrbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
Thanks guys and sorry for the delay in response I'm attending an EMT basic course and working ten hour days so I have 2 evenings a week that I'm totally out of the net,this is for a guy that wants to get back into recurve/selfbow shooting,the bow is a pearson apex and it's 37# and a 66" bow I made a string for it and it has been strung for a couple of days the crack is very shallow,and would be under the palm of your hand while gripping the bow about where the base of your index finger falls I have no experience in this type of repair but it seems to be more of a "fill" job than needing drawn back together,it doesn't look like there's any real separation more of a with the grain type crack with no lifting,so wasn't sure if there was a more readily available option I do have the loctite super glue on hand that "Doc" used on the tip overlays in his resto thread,saw the guy on the auction site with the loctite so I'm not ruling it out but will take a little more time than I was planning on,I'm open to suggestions and again THANKS guys.

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
Three Rivers sells a super glue that is just as good as the Loctite. Keeep it in the fridge when not using and it will last forever.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
420 is industrial grade .005 gap filler with the best wicking capability of all super bonders not packaged for OTC sales.Makes it kind of hard to find but it work real good bd

Offline jrbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 12:03:00 AM »
Used the loctite super glue took 3 "coats" to get filled up to even with the wood I'll test shoot tomorrow and post results THANKS for the help.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »
jr let us know how it works out bd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©