INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: how does a 62 kodiak cast?  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: how does a 62 kodiak cast?
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
This will be my last post on this subject, because I don't want to get into an argument. If the bows are cut to center the same, if the arrows are the same in weight and properly matched to the bows, and if the archer shoots them both properly, then the laws of physics demand that the faster arrow will go farther. Nothing can alter those facts. If indeed the cast of the slower bow is better, then something else is different, too, and the above conditions have not been met. If the arrows leave the bow equally but at different speeds, it is impossible for the slower arrow to shoot farther.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 01:35:00 PM »
Totally in agreement, Don.

Key term there is "equally" and, IMHO, if something in the longer limbs makes it possible via the release? something else? to make that difference.

As Doc said, something for us to try on our own. May be even different per different shooter??

NOT picking sides...Ive the highest regard for both partys.

Interesting stuff guys.
Thanks

God Bless
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline Pack animal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
I am not an expert by any means, in fact just a novice.  A question does come to mind.  I remember in reading about the physics of archery; the transference of energy from the arm of the shooter combined with the energy stored in the limb of the bow releases to the arrow through the string.  The conclusion made was “the longer the arrow was in contact with the string, the more energy could be transferred to the arrow”.  Could the transference of energy be part of an explanation??

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
Wouldnt that indicate a longer draw??? or am I missing your point? (easily possible, lol)

That would definately be accurate for a longer draw (or most assume maybe) but with this scenario Im assuming the same draw length and weight is indicted.

Just curious thinking guys.....no one should get up in arms.

I know it's interesting enough to give it a shot should I come up with two lengths, same weight, design, centershot...etc.

That in itself would be a trick.

Hey Don! Lend me your bows!!  Half dozen of em should be plenty. (better "cross section" for the "tests" ) I'll get em back to you RIGHT after deer season. PROMISE!     :bigsmyl:      

God Bless

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »
Sorry, Steve, I only have a '70 Super K. If I had an earlier Kodiak for the test, I'd be glad to send them along.   ;)
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
No 59 K to compare to something else......???

Drat.....*sigh*.

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
BTW Don......that was directed at Don the BD. lol

but...hey, IM EASY!!

BowDoc has bows Id KILL JUST TO SEE AND HOLD AND SHOOT! Actually a great many of you do as well.

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
I guess my original question should have been worded differently but it has brought up some interesting discussion. What I meant was the inherent deatails of an individual bow that gives it ...forgiveness, smooth draw...cast..,accuracy in hand...you know the kind a bow you take a few shots with and really like it....I believe from your posts the 1962 Kodiak is a fine shooter and good performer..I have only shot the  1967 Super K and 1966 Kodiak...they are both fine shooters too...Just started collecting some BEAR bows and looking for leftys in about 55 lbs at my 25 to 26 inch drawlength....(depending on the handle design) If any of you who know of any nice lefty's in heavier weight...let me know...

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
If I ever find a 1958 Kodiak lefty in 60 lb range I would be thrilled!!!!!

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
Forgive me, for getting off subject of your post.

My apologies.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
Now to throw some flies in the ointment I turn to Viper's book "Shooting the Stickbow" and he states in the chapter on bow design.

"Given two bows of the  same design and material , the shorter bow will require greater force to be drawn to a specific length , but will tend to shoot an arrow faster than a longer bow. The shorter bow may be less comfortable to shoot as it will reach its stack point sooner and will have increaased finger pinch."

So I take from this we shoot longer bows for target shooting due to less finger pinch, comfort and stability, not speed.

He also writes "Less limb mass equals faster acceleration." So I conclude the shorter limb has less mass hence recovers faster and is faster then a longer limb.

In the glossary "Cast-Distance and speed with which a bow can propel an arrow."

That leads me to conclude the faster limbs will propel an arrow faster and farther than slower limbs so a shorter bow is capable of better cast than a longer bow.

Just my conclusions from reading, that's all.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Pack animal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »
SlowBowke,
The thought I had was not longer draw, but that with a slower bow the arrow would be on the string longer than with a faster bow, therefor could a slower bow with longer limbs store and transfer more energy to the arrow than a shorter limb but faster bow of the same draw weight?  It would be interesting to check arrow penetration at a short range and then again at a longer range.  again being a novice I'm not sure, but I would guess the faster shorter limb bow would have better penetration at short range, but would it fair as well at a longer range?  Another fanciful question; is there an optimal speed for a given arrow material length and weight?  IE, too fast increases wind resistance, arrows poops out; too slow and arrow weight causes loss of performance; Just right and arrow sails like a bird,(kind of like ground effect).

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
FUN STUFF!

No more from me without specific permission from thread creator. OT and all but all good thought processes to me.

Dont think I ever want to know it all......fun would be all gone!

Offline Pack animal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
trubltrubl
My apologies for wondering astray as well.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
I had the opportunity to test three identically designed limbs designs- a TD- same string specs and same arrow and same # limbs. Three arrows each, paid attention to form etc. The limbs were 62", 64" and 66"-I draw 28". Anyway there was no difference in speed (I call that cast BTW), and I found the 64" bow to be the best and most accurate for my hunting requirements.
Is this the right thread? LOL

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
I been working on a little video of both bows being shot thru my chrony(with a release)and then over the church and down the street to recover the arrow.But if you can beleave this.It is super sunny in Seattle right now and the darn camera will not pic up the lens of the chrony.I'll keep working at it bd

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
Maybe the camera is overwhelmed by the sunshine; can't wait to see the video Doc!

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2011, 11:47:00 PM »
have at her boyz....no problem.....got my answer ...talk cast etc.....

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
trubl 1962 wow thats one of the best of the Bear line up.Great shooter and real good speed.My 55# 1962 was right about 182-184 fps with a 500 grain arrow.Real good bows and one of my favorites along with the 1964.
bj this ai'nt working because the light in the chrony is not bright enough ? any ideas bd

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
Forget the chrony doc we wanna' see you shoot arrows over the church!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©