INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: What Bear is this.  (Read 776 times)

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What Bear is this.
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »

HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
WOW that's a beauty.  I would imagine a 64" 1959 Kodiak shoots like a dream.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 01:02:00 PM »
Looking for info on bow , where to look for history of this bow , why is this bow so good if it is a 59 , Thanks
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 01:10:00 PM »
Shootability, design and preformance, all tend to make "59" Kodiaks highly sought after.

Don't let no one talk you in to selling it cheap. They bring good money when they show up. Especially the maple sight window kodiaks.
"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
They changed the form in mid '60 if I remember correctly and the bows just weren't as good after that at least in my opinion..
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2011, 01:54:00 PM »
While Bear produced a large number of Kodiaks in 1959, it was a year of some "firsts" for the Kodiak; such as the coin placed in the riser and using Brazilian Rosewood for the main riser wood.  From a rarity perspective, it is the wood used between the rosewood slabs that shows in the sight window: The rarest is bubinga, followed by dark brazilian rosewood, followed by maple.  My guess is that most of these woods were used in the earlier part of 1959.  The vast majority of 1959 Kodiaks used purpleheart for the sight window.

Regardless, maple sight window 1959s are not commonplace.  Yours appears to be in very nice original condition.  If it is in original condition, that is really where its value lies. They still show up every now and then (here is one I found recently:   http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=004489)  but rarely are they found in nice condition.

Congrats on your find.  It appears to be in great shape from your photos.....and a nice quiver to boot!

Now for the disclaimer.........Go over the bow with a fine tooth comb and check the tips carefully prior to stringing it up and shooting a few arrows!  You certainly don't want such a nice bow exploding because the tips were loose or any other issue.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2011, 02:46:00 PM »
Thanks for the info , the bow is all original and is a good shooter. Got it about 8 years ago from a friend from work , cleaned it up had a string made and killed a hog with it then put it on the wall. Just never looked it up had a guy see it he said he thought it was a 59 thats as far as i ever took it. Im new on this site and saw the intrest in them.

HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
Sam, you've got an absolute GEM there!
Congrats!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
Nice to see you on the collector page Rob...............according to Wade Phillips BA=60" MSW and DA=64" MSW that is borne out by my MSW bows too. There was a thread about that somewhere here.
That is one of the nicest MSWs I have seen, you are indeed fortunate to have it.

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2011, 01:46:00 AM »
Guess I had a hidden treasure and dident know it kinda cool to find out about it. Will look up the threads thanks guys
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©