INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Denton Hill Memories  (Read 537 times)

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Denton Hill Memories
« on: March 31, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
(originally posted in pow wow, now moved here)

Thought to begin a new thread about the good times we have finding and collecting archery equipment.

It's nice to find items at garage sales and such, in fact it's my favorite way to find things but in todays world it seems the internet has taken over......But finding them at a traditional  Archery gathering with it's "totally traditional environement" in person is so much more fun. Swap meets in particular! My being on the East coast does not find me at the other Great archery festivals elsewhere, but I intend to someday travel to them. Compton being my first stop.

I want to focus on the Eastern Traditional Archery Rendesvous at Denton Hill.
I myself attended 8 years straight and then laid back a couple years and finally reattended in 2010. It's as good as it ever was!
I have met so many great people there and found many rare and not so rare finds. I would think that a great many Trad Gang members attend or have attended Denton Hill.

Perhaps you have a story to share on your Denton Hill experience.
Would like to hear your fondest memories, rare items found or traded, people we have met while collecting, friendships that were made, ect.......
Pictures are always a plus
This should be a fun thread!
I will digout some pics too and post em.......Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Denton Hill Memories
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 02:24:00 PM »
I have many but here is one of my favorite memories at Denton Hill, circa 1999.
That's me in the center with friends Rob Tiberio to my right, John Polyniak to my left, Chris Nastke to his left and my nephew Anthony. All friends I have made through collecting.
High up on top of Denton Hill with a magnificent view below. Check out those Bows we are holding.
All vintage-bears! .......Philip

Just noticed John sporting a NON BEAR.....Shame on him!...........
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
HI Philip     good to hear from you =-- will never froget the visit to your place in Brooklyn
an experience-- I sure do miss you -- sorry we did not get together at Denton---
people do not know you were the formost collector-- and your knowledge unsurpassed
your friendship with Frank Scott--
I still have Destiny my B handle -- and some others  I bought  the other's I paid TOP dollar for--  :) ) no regrets --- you had the formost collection of 55# classsic bows know to anyone--
lets get together at Denton-- classic bowman sporting woolens is doing well ---
I have a special shirt planned ---
give me a call Val -- all his collection got sold off --- he was a true historian of the masters ---
stay in touch    Rob tiberio

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 05:48:00 PM »
Rob. Do you mean Val Sorrentino?
Thanks for the compliments..........Philip
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
Rob,
Not sure if you meant Val Sorrentino in your last post. Even if you did'nt, I thought to show all who he was. For those that knew him, no need to describe him, for those who did'nt know him, I'll say this.
He was a wonderful guy who ate, slept and breathed vintage-bear kodiaks! His license plate was.....57KODIAK......Need I say more! He also built some magnificent bows. I will post a pic of a couple he built.
He was a very special guy and we met at Denton Hill of all places.
Here is my favorite photo of Val that he sent to me. He was a great guy and truly loved traditional archery.

Rest in Peace Valentino!
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
Philip,

One of the special things about Denton is the number of folks you meet there; only to find out you only live about an hour or so from some of them.  It always great to meet new people, but even greater to meet new people that have similar interests.....such as a passion for old Bear bows!

One of the members sometime back posted a touching story about his friend and hunting partner passing away.  This guy was a seriously tall fellow and pictures were posted of him with his friends as well as stories about attending Denton Hill.  As soon as I saw pictures of him, I remembered seeing this guy at Denton....he towered above everyone around him......a genuine mountain of a man!  Although I never got a chance to meet him, it was good to read about him and his life and how he had touched so many that knew him.  

I'm sure many of us have passed one another somewhere/sometime at Denton (probably around the trade blankets)..........I hope to get the chance to actually meet most of you!

BTW - your friend made some great looking replicas.....love that '59 style bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
Me too.
The best part of this hobby is the people we meet along the way. Thanks for sharing your story!.....Philip
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
Dug out some pics......Enjoy
I have to start with this one because he is a very famous man on thIS FORUM.
Without further adoooooooo.........
HEEEEEEEEERS................BOWDOC!

Look at this bunch of losers! Spending all that money on "old bows". I think the guy to my right is famous too?

Heres Ken Beck trying to convince me to let go of my "old bow" for one of his "new" widows..

Shooting the breeze with the Legendary Glenn St. Charles. Could never get enough of him!

I saved my favorite for last. My dear friend Al Reader.

All this because of Denton Hill and collecting old bows..........Philip
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
Found another good one.
Here is Bowdoc doing his thing. Here he is teaching my nephew a thing or two. That big dude is Tom Taylor. Another fellow collector and friend who is on the verge of achieving the grand slam with a recurve.....Way to go Tom!
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
wow Phil you me steve ted and glenn all look about half baked in those pics huh ? what a blast that year was.I'am working on makeing it back again this year we'll see how its looken come july bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »
hey Rich is that the tiebo twins in your pic bd

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
These are great pics and memories,thanks for sharing.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 01:49:00 AM »
My Gawd, I am so glad I clicked on this thread!  Not more than two weeks ago, I came across a photo Val Sorrentino sent me of “my bow” before he ever agreed to let me have it.   He called it something like the Little Delta, a repro that was kind of a cross between a ’60 and a ’62 Kodiak, but looked like a dead ringer for a ’62.   After finding the pic, I took his bows down, strung, and shot them again, and it was like a window to my past had reopened.   Phil, everything you and Al had said about him was true – remember his phrase “the Bear flair”?   He could make a bow that would convince you the best dreams of Fred Bear had materialized on earth!   Al said it, too.  

That K57 Special in your pic sure looks like the one I have.  And, the weight is right.  Do you have one too?  

I came across that old pic while resurrecting a lot of old memories as I began to display my old collection again.  I never met him in person, but Val was a great friend.   We sometimes talked on the phone for an hour or more, and he never sent a package that didn’t have a little personal gift in it(I’m still clicking my mouse on a pad with Fred and someone else crossing that incredible Little Delta bridge…..bet some of you are too.)

About the same time, I came across a box of Eastern Bowhunter and NY State Broadhead mags, still in the box he returned them.   When Val was down with that awful spine/neck/whatever thing, we talked a lot and I loaned him some reading material.   He returned it not long before I heard he was gone.

To me, Val Sorrentino was a real special man and a good friend.  And, by the way, I understand he was a guy who knew his way around a bow!!!   So funny we talked so much and never met.  He always said he wanted to come out to hunt Colorado.   I kept saying: come ahead!  And all we did was talk on the phone and email.

I may never be convinced that technology is a bad thing.  How else would I have known Val?
Tom

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 02:12:00 AM »
great thread guys, love the pics. I share the same sediments exactly and even posted a new thread expressing my thoughts before reading this one. spot on
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
Heres more.........Enjoy!

Angelo Christiano of Bison Gear on the right and Big Jim on the left and some Brooklyn boys!
Had a blast that day. Great memory......Philip
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
Great thread Phillip.....it really is what the whole trad spirit is all about.....love it...john
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
Val Sorentino --- boy do I miss him--- our many late nights on the Mongaup River-- a secret spot-- we would fish until 2 in the morning- I ould leave or go to sleep - despite the heat and bugs he was still at it---
We would meet at out secret spot--- shoot out bows and eat pasta va shoule ---
I have his fish prototype Lillte Delta Bow-- and actually shot a moose with it in alaska --
plus another with a 70# grizzley I bought from him using a hope deopt arrow he made for me--
Val was was the winner of the Muzzy Stump Shoot
plus many many other shoots-- even the long island shoot long bow -- using a self bow--
Val wasn't a bowyer but an artist---
He was also a historian of the old archers---
he lived to hunt the mountain near his home--
I have never told anyone one this--- except a few close friends-- on the day of his funeral --
I walked past his driveway-- there lay a new arrow, tucked in the dirt right by his car where they found him--- I would like to believe it was his last arrow and that he wanted me to find it---
I would like to write a story about him someday
he had many archery friends, every one would tell you he was just an incredable man-
I will miss him for as long as i live---
Val -- I am going to the Mongaup soon--
Water is just about right for one of those big Brown's     Thnaks for taking me there---

Classic Bowman

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
Classic- I agree, an artist indeed. I never got to meet Val, I talked to him several times on the phone over the years. I bought a couple bows from him as well. At one point we talked about him making me a bow. I still have all the little knick knacks and frig magnets he made and sent me, very cool stuff. I remember someone telling me that Val was an excellent shot with a bow. Something about shooting at an old couch at 60 yds and Val was putting arrow after arrow into a small hole in the couch that they had picked as an aiming spot. Maybe that was you Rob, it was a few years ago. He is missed.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
this is STILL a great thread!
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©