INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: native american archery?  (Read 539 times)

Offline sadiejane

• Trad Bowhunter
native american archery?
« on: April 09, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
anyone here collect na archery tackle? or know of a good site or message board that that is the focus? have some arrows id like to find out more about.
supposedly Sioux/Assiniboine arrows from the late 1800’s. Eastern Montana. Ft. Peck Reservation.

appreciate your thoughts
thanks

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: native american archery?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
Cool Arrows.No help for you though.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 08:11:00 PM »
I need to reconnect with my friend Phil Hall who is a Sioux historian and lives in South Dakota. He should be able to give me some idea of who would have expertise about those arrows.

When you think of their age those arrows are in incredibly good shape. I would think they are very realistically museum quality.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Gila Mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
You might get some good info from the folks on the Arrows forum (or other forums) at the Primitive Archery magazine site:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?board=3.0  

Good Luck!
Mike
"Hunt ethically and in fair chase. You'll know the feeling when you have done it right!"  .......(Glenn St. Charles, Bows on the Little Delta)

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
Just off the top of my head you might also contact Joe St Charles, the son of Glenn St Charles, who ran the Pope and Young/St Charles museum in Washington State for many years. Joe ought to be able to either tell you about the arrows or tell you where to look. You might also want to go to the Pope and Young website and contact the museum directly.

The only way I know to get in touch with Joe is to go on the big auction site, do a search for stcharlesarchery and then send Joe a message. Give him some time to answer, he is both old and busy.

One thing for sure is that there is a ton of good information available through this site and you never know where it will come from. Two years ago I barely knew who Glenn St Charles was.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
Cool username, Mike. Not sure I even wanna know how you got it.   :eek:

DDave

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
The phone number for the museum, which is now in Minnesota, is 507-867-4144.

DDave

Offline sadiejane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
cool-thanks guys. will follow up on yr suggestions.

yes they are in amazing shape. my understanding is they have been in the same family since they were procured from fort peck.

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
There are good references available.  Jim Hamm has published several volumes dealing with Native American stuff, complete with superb illustrations.

Otis T. Mason's classic work "North American bows, arrows and quivers" from 1893 is available both in reprint and on-line. The most comprehensive information on the subject I'm aware of.  Mason's work was done and originally published  in the Smithsonian Annual Review.

Offline sadiejane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
thanks la-have jimm hamms books.
found masons just now for less than $10 shipped. its on the way. appreciate the recommendation.

Offline Gila Mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by damascusdave:
Cool username, Mike. Not sure I even wanna know how you got it.    :eek:  

DDave
Who me?

I'm lucky enough to live very close to the Gila Wilderness and to have spent a LOT of time up there with the elk and other critters.

:archer:  
Mike
"Hunt ethically and in fair chase. You'll know the feeling when you have done it right!"  .......(Glenn St. Charles, Bows on the Little Delta)

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 08:00:00 AM »
I had visions of you looking like a Gila monster, so this is good news, other than the fact that we are now all incredibly jealous.

Glad to have a new addition to the tradgang family. Just a word of warning. Take a look at some of my posts in the last two years since I became a member and you will see that being on here can get pretty expensive. One more longbow and then I am done buying for a  while though.

DDave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©