INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: i wonder where the arrows are?  (Read 380 times)

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
i wonder where the arrows are?
« on: April 12, 2011, 12:29:00 AM »
I paid a professional museum {Tacoma, Washington] photographer for high quality digital images of Will Thompson's archery equipment last year.  Wonderful stuff.  Of the equipment shown in the ABR noting the gift by Will's family, all is still intact with the exception of a handful of "rare, broad-headed" arrows.

I had the photographer re-check for the arrows.  He replied back that the only arrow in the collection was a long feathered, exotic looking one; there were no others.  Those arrows were the only pieces from the photo missing.

Has anyone viewed Will's collection of archery tackle housed in the Tacoma Museum?  If so, were those arrows in the collection during your visit?

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: i wonder where the arrows are?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 05:37:00 AM »
no sir man oh man I have not been there in years and maybe so long ago I do not even remember seeing the items.My wife has all her dr. app.at Tacoma General fact is its only 2 blocks from the museum.Should I take my camera with me next week and do a little invest-agator work ? Id love to ??? bd

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 07:55:00 AM »
The November 1941 American Bowman Review has a photo of Will's archery tackle being donated to the Tacoma Museum by his son Gen. Maurice Thompson.  The five bows [four can be identified as F.S. Barnes bows] in a case, two arrow cases loaded with several dozen matched target arrows, six arrows that appear to be tipped with broad heads [a couple that looked to be ones taken on his BC hunt] and one exotic, long feathered arrow being held by a person in the photo.  

The six arrows displayed leaning against the bow case are the ones I refer to.  The Museum was unable to account for them.  I provided the photographer with information on what and how I wanted the tackle photographed and he did a great job.  I have close-ups of the handles, F.S. Barnes marks and other distinguishing characteristics from the bows as well as the broadhead on the remaining arrow, which in appearance, resembles those Will, Jackson and Challis used on their BC hunt.

What happened to the other arrows?  

I'd show the photos here but I only had a one time pass on paying a publication fee when I included them in my power point presentation during the past PBS Banquet in Nashville.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »
hummmm I may have to go snoop around there next week bd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©