3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dogs for Tracking  (Read 2233 times)

Online James Ligon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dogs for Tracking
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2007, 11:39:00 PM »
Monty:

That deer came with the tree attached to its head.  I wish I could say it was mine but another hunter on our lease was the lucky one.  Having my dog find it was ALMOST as good as shooting it myself....almost!

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2007, 07:23:00 AM »
Doc and James, those are two good looking dogs! The Bavarian M.H. is gaining popularity fast in this country amongst blood tracking folks. There are several owners of these on the UBT site. CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline Kerwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2007, 10:09:00 AM »
I origionally got our dox as a family dog and then read about all the thing they can do.  Now I kind of wish I would have got one that has some hunting blood.  This one is purly pet stock.  But he shows signs of being able to do it.  This is a pic (I hope this workds) of a deer I shot and saw fall.  Went to the house and got Bullet and put him on the trail (first and only deer to date).  Did great job.  Has done a great job on the training trails I have put out also.

KCruse where did you get your hunting dox.  I might be abel to talk the wife into a second dog, ha ha ha.

I can't seem to get this picture thing to work.
Kerwin

Offline bearhair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2007, 10:50:00 AM »
If the dogs are trained to track blood, is it possible to use any type of blood for training.  In other words can I use hog blood to lay down a practice trail or is there something specific about deers blood or the combination of deer blood and deer smell that should only be used for practice.

Offline Kerwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2007, 10:59:00 AM »
Bearhair - what I am reading in the book, they seem to do better with deer blood.  They apparently do not react as good to cow blood.  I do not have any experance with that but the book "Tracking dogs for finding wonded deer" recomends it.  Based on that, I have collected bood in old butter tubs and milk jugs and put in frezzer with some hide and livers.  This will alow me to thaw what I need all year long.
Kerwin

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2007, 11:40:00 AM »
Kerwin, Fred came from Germany. I made a trip and was able to spend about a week with the breeder, learned some of their training methods, did some initial training with my (then) 9 week old puppy. I even got to tag along on a hunt. The breeders website is  www.bismarck-eiche.de  

You can type it into a Google search, then hit translate this page for a broken English translation.

I think deer blood is best, but I can tell you that Stefan (the German breeder) uses cow blood for a lot of his training. He feels that during the tracking tests his dogs have a little extra kick since the deer blood used in the tests have a stronger perceived game odor. His dogs all have the 20 and 40 hour European titles for blood trailing.

I have recently started using Fährtenschuh, which is a European scent shoe that uses the hoof of a deer or boar to lay the scent trail. The idea is to use less and less blood to where the tracking dog has only the interdigital scent to track off of. The use of these is covered in John's book.

If at times I come off as an elitist, thats not my intention. I'm very proud of my rather unique and rare (at least in this country) pup. If your pet dachshund or any other breed shows a propensity to track - go for it! This country needs a lot more dogs trained in this special skill. They are a great conservation tool, and can really help answer a lot of questions and provide peace of mind even in cases where the deer or other game is not recovered. CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline Tim Schoenborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2007, 12:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by ckruse:
Kerwin, Fred came from Germany. I made a trip and was able to spend about a week with the breeder, learned some of their training methods, did some initial training with my (then) 9 week old puppy. I even got to tag along on a hunt. The breeders website is  www.bismarck-eiche.de  

You can type it into a Google search, then hit translate this page for a broken English translation.

I think deer blood is best, but I can tell you that Stefan (the German breeder) uses cow blood for a lot of his training. He feels that during the tracking tests his dogs have a little extra kick since the deer blood used in the tests have a stronger perceived game odor. His dogs all have the 20 and 40 hour European titles for blood trailing.

I have recently started using Fährtenschuh, which is a European scent shoe that uses the hoof of a deer or boar to lay the scent trail. The idea is to use less and less blood to where the tracking dog has only the interdigital scent to track off of. The use of these is covered in John's book.

If at times I come off as an elitist, thats not my intention. I'm very proud of my rather unique and rare (at least in this country) pup. If your pet dachshund or any other breed shows a propensity to track - go for it! This country needs a lot more dogs trained in this special skill. They are a great conservation tool, and can really help answer a lot of questions and provide peace of mind even in cases where the deer or other game is not recovered. CKruse
Cameron you don't come off as an elitist to me...........

Rather an individual who has done his research on not only the breed but the sport of tracking with your dog. Tip of the hat to you for doing it.

Lot's of people have dogs or will purchase dogs and leave a lot of information on the table that will wind up costing them once the dog reaches a certain age and development. There is no one book to read on how to train and raise any dog.

One thing that is very apparent in whatever discipline you decide to utilize your dog in even if it is just a buddy around the house is the best dogs are usually with people who understand each and every dog is different. The best bird dog trainers with the most accomplishments in this country all share the same trait. They will understand  what makes each dog they have tick. And will adjust training methods that fall in line with what works for each specific dog and their unique personalities. It is no coincidence the same guys are always at the top of the game.

They know how to read a dog. On another side-note the same can be said for Horses. I will personally handle thousands of horses a year in my profession. You better be able to make a sound judgment and decision very quickly on what your dealing with in regards to behavior or body language or your going to get hurt. I promise you.

If any of my comments were misconstrued in here they were not meant to be. And I have seen more dogs ruined by vocally aggressive owners with bird dogs than I ever have with a Training Collar being used in the hands of a Pro. Again a training collar in "Qualified Hands". Most stimulation with a collar is so slight (Nick) it would not even make you flinch if you were to test it out on your own hand. 90% of the work is done with praise tones or a warning tone depending on the situation.

Bottom-line is this has been an interesting thread and Cameron you have done your homework and I respect that for what it is worth.

Oh yeah your dog is pretty cool looking also!

Tim

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2007, 02:05:00 PM »
Tim S.

I absolutely agree with your assessment of the value of e-collars being used by experience, "qualified" trainers. In the right hands, an e-collar can be a very useful, humane training tool. MOST ESPECIALLY when training for the precision/performance associated with hunt test dogs and field trial dogs. However, for the overwhelming majority of dog owners- sporting breeds or otherwise- and by overwhelming majority I'm talking about upwards of 98 percent of dog owners, an e-collar is not necessary.

Case in point, I'm just as average a Joe as Joes come, and if I can train a dog through praise, repetition, patience and the occasional, well-time "NO!"- then quite literally ANYONE can. My labs may not be able to perform as well as MANY of the top notch test dogs, but they are well socialized, extremely obedient and will HUNT - not just retrieve - ANYTHING I ask them to hunt.

Anyone - and I repeat ANYONE- who lacks the patience or basic training skills necessary to train a dog using verbal commands alone should not be encouraged to use a shock collar. If a dog owner does not understand the psychology behind the proper use of verbal commands, CLEARLY that same person does NOT posses the training skills or understand the training psychology necessary to properly use an e-collar. Said another way, anyone capable of ruining/damaging a dog using verbal commands would most assuredly cause more harm to a dog using a shock collar. For this reason, shock collars should be left to pros such as yourself  (respect intended!)
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline Tim Schoenborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Labs4me:
Tim S.

I absolutely agree with your assessment of the value of e-collars being used by experience, "qualified" trainers. In the right hands, an e-collar can be a very useful, humane training tool. MOST ESPECIALLY when training for the precision/performance associated with hunt test dogs and field trial dogs. However, for the overwhelming majority of dog owners- sporting breeds or otherwise- and by overwhelming majority I'm talking about upwards of 98 percent of dog owners, an e-collar is not necessary.

Case in point, I'm just as average a Joe as Joes come, and if I can train a dog through praise, repetition, patience and the occasional, well-time "NO!"- then quite literally ANYONE can. My labs may not be able to perform as well as MANY of the top notch test dogs, but they are well socialized, extremely obedient and will HUNT - not just retrieve - ANYTHING I ask them to hunt.

Anyone - and I repeat ANYONE- who lacks the patience or basic training skills necessary to train a dog using verbal commands alone should not be encouraged to use a shock collar. If a dog owner does not understand the psychology behind the proper use of verbal commands, CLEARLY that same person does NOT posses the training skills or understand the training psychology necessary to properly use an e-collar. Said another way, anyone capable of ruining/damaging a dog using verbal commands would most assuredly cause more harm to a dog using a shock collar. For this reason, shock collars should be left to pros such as yourself  (respect intended!)
I agree Monty respectfully..............

And you do have some nice looking dogs there. I am glad there are people on here who partake and enjoy canines of any breed or discipline. I think most of us on here share the same affliction for any dog that gets a job well done. Including climbing up on the couch and laying their head across our laps.

My dogs also live with me in the home.............................

Offline deerfly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2007, 02:34:00 PM »
I don't get a lot of time to check in frequently enough to be short and to the point, so I'll put a bunch of stuff on my mind here all at once. If you can read it all great, it not, skip right over, its only my opinions.

ck, I don't read into you being an elitist or anyone else posting here for that matter. I for one appreciate everyones input. There is always something to learn if you keep your eyes and ears working. I think overall this has been a very good thread, certainly helpful to anyone that doesn't have much experience with hunting dogs.

What amuses me here though seems to be endemic in our society these days where everything has to be a specialty, analyzed to the nth degree.

Here we have yet another thread inquiring about deer tracking dogs where some spirited debate surfaced a bit and further fueled with an infusion of this dog and that. When in reality the vast majority of the dogs in everyday households could be trained to track game. The issue has more to do with the quality of the training than the olfactory differences between the breeds.

Personally, I'm not a scholar of sorts on the subject, I don't read or haven't read volumes on the matter of tracking. My perspective comes from 20 some years growing up into hunting deer and hogs with dogs in the Florida Everglades and areas slightly north and west of the Everglades proper. In our circles most of the "training" consisted of starting young dogs with other experienced dogs and let them figure it out that way. I can honestly say I think I've probably met the guy that coined the phrase "that dog won't hunt".  :)

Anyway, as I said in a previous post, my dog hunting and tracking experience is mostly with the "conventional" hound breeds. Even there, I'd have to say I was the one being trained. I don't dog hunt anymore, but in my time I've seen plenty of grade dogs and other cross-bred neighborhood mishaps so to speak that turned out to be very good hunting dogs. Yet the UKC, AKC or any other "official" dog organization would never recognize these animals. But in the field they out performed many of the pure-bred's. Not always mind you, but enough for even a southern redneck to take notice and realize there's more going on there than a UKC or AKC certificate would have you believe.

Consider the cur breeds, catahoulas, etc that are rapidily finding favor with traditional houndsman over the "conventional" breeds for their blend of site and scent capabilities coupled with obedience to command in the heat of battle. Here's a classic case of "mutt's" being formulated into top rate hunting dogs and have evolved to being a "breed" of their own.

I liken the gravitation to curs to why German/Belgian Shepards are used so much for police work, where the capability of the nose is less of factor and the ability to train the Shepard to NOT attack at the conclusion of a track is more important than his nose. No doubt they have to have very good noses, but I doubt a Shepard has a significantly better nose than any number of other working breeds. Their real virtue is their obedience for "official" service work and  with multiple handlers in many cases.

That kind of thing is not so easily done with bluetick's, redbone's, black and tan's and so forth with a bayed animal and could spell death to catch dog if you're not there to dispatch the hog before he kills your dog. These "conventional" hunting dogs invariably have to be captured, leashed and hauled away from the prey to stop them from trying to eat it. Cur dogs on the other hand are more prone to respond to commands, which can be really handy at times.

Then I read where dachshunds are being espoused for baying hogs. (ck, I'm not singling you out personally, only highlighting my reaction to the statement). My dad had 2 dachshunds when I was very young, so I don't remember much about them. But I do have vivid memories from some hog hunts not so long ago where an 180lb boar flipped a 60lb walker 5 feet in the air like it was nothing and helping hold skin and body parts together while my buddy stitched up dogs enough to get them to the vet. Not every hog hunt goes that way, but ain't a one of them that can't happen. So when I think hogs and dogs those are the kinds of things that come to mind.  

Needless to say I was bug eyed when I read that comment about dachshunds and baying hogs. Personally, I can't fathom what a 20-30lb anything could do to get a scrappy hog to stop and fight, let alone a dachshund. But being open minded I did a little research last night and saw where there are references to boar hunting with dachshunds several hundred years ago. Although they seem to infer a larger version of a dachshund than what is prevalent today, I have managed to learn something new, so thank you all for that.  ;)  

I also take a little exception to the sweeping "kennel" remark. There are heartless people that kennel animals like they were tools, but I haven't met very many in my time. So it seems to me for someone to make a statement like that they don't have much practical experience with big game hunting dogs.

If you are serious about it you will own at least 5-6 dogs at any given time. Several guys I knew had 15 or more. I guarantee you the missus was not gonna have 17 treeing walkers or black and tans scattered about the living room watching TV with the rest of the family no matter how much dad loved each and every one of them.  :)  

The kennel serves other purposes too. That is learning to be kept while waiting to be released and not fighting and/or other wise trying to kill each other to get out and hunt. They need to be taught very early on how to behave in tight quarters amongst other dogs. On any given hunt dogs are rotated for rest or to replace other dogs that have got off track and need to be caught without interrupting an otherwise active chase. Being put back in a kennel can't feel like punishment to them or you'd have to reprimand them every time you wanted them to "load-up".

Another reason for a "kennel" full of dogs is injury and death when hunting dangerous game like big cats, bear and hogs. It doesn't happen often but the potential exists for a dog to be seriously injured or killed on every hunt. Thats the main reason you hunt with at least 3 dogs on dangerous game so theres less chance that only one dog will have to confront a bayed animal. A pissed off hog, lion or bear can easily kill a single dog within minutes. No one likes it but its a cold reality with this form of big game hunting and you need to have multiple dogs in the hunt and back up dogs coming up through the ranks. Not many people can keep hunting dogs like this without kennels. Its not cruel as long as they're exercised and hunted often.

In closing,  :)  I will re-iterate my "most any breed" sentiment for tracking wounded game, especially deer. Start them young, train them patiently and with praise and you'll have yourself a fine tracking dog for all but the most intense efforts and even there a mutt may surprise you. If it doesn't work out you'll still have a fine companion.  :)  - eric

Offline Kerwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2007, 03:02:00 PM »
Cameron I aggree with Tim.  

"Rather an individual who has done his research on not only the breed but the sport of tracking with your dog. Tip of the hat to you for doing it."

Personaly I wish I had the resources to go to Germany (or somewhere else) to do things like this.

If you think of it, most of us that are in Trad Archery you will see a lot of this type of thinking.

Oh, the picture of you at Monarc Pass.  We go through there every year to Elk/MuleDeer hunt.  Brings back memories.
Kerwin

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »
Deerfly:

I concur with your, "Most any breed" sentiment and made an effort to drive this point home in a previous post. As far as using a "mutt"-  ABSOLUTELY!!!

...Speaking of Mutts- I come from a long distinguised line of Mutts myself...
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2007, 04:47:00 PM »
Labs4me...just a question i have ....are your labs "forced fetch"?
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
i worked at a setnet site and they had two elk hounds,  kina look like a sled dog.  both of them were pretty wussy, untill they caught the scent of a bear, they became the most ferocious things.  one ran up behind a big brownie and bit him right on the butt,  once both dogs got into it they circled and attacked untill the 9 footer tucked tail and left.  another time we were hiking out off a mountain after dark, not the smartest choice, we heard dome comotion near us the dogs payed no attention.  about a mile later the dogs both locked in right behind us and began to get angry,  what ever it was circled us for a hour, the dogs were on it the whole time but never left our side.  after we hit the beach and were about 100 yards from the trail exit a 8 foot young brownie stepped out, as soon as the dogs had a visual they were in full attack,  the bear left in a hurry.  with this behavior you would think the dogs time was limited but they have never had a bear so much as nick one in 40 years.

Offline Tim Schoenborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2007, 06:27:00 PM »
Since we are sharing pictures here.

Here is another one of my lap dogs.

I am not certain how well he would track? He does not like to go off my property. He has an awesome nose and his prey drive is as high as you can get.

He does a fine job of covering the acreage here and needless to say he keeps away unwanted visitors. Fearless is not a strong enough word.

He is a 105 lbs of bring it on    :cool:

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2007, 06:47:00 PM »
Joebuck:

As a newbie to the world of retrievers (this was over 14 years and about 18 trained dogs ago) I joined a local Hunting Retriever Club. This was back before the internet and "type" forums became commonplace. At the urging of the so called club "experts", I DID force fetch my very first Lab- simply because I didn't know any better. Since then I have trained, competed and hunted over two more Labs of my own, and either outright trained or helped to train over a dozen other retrievers (mostly Labs; several Goldens and a Chessie). I can tell you that in all honesty, there is virtually no difference between a dog that is force fetched and one that is taught to "Hold!" and "Fetch!" using positive reinforcement. The ONLY difference really, is that it WILL take a bit longer to achieve the same end result (Instead of a week or two, it may take up to a month depending on the attention span of the dog). Here's why: ALL animals - including the human variety - respond to PAIN or pain avoidance more quickly than they do to positive reinforcement (under most circumstances). However, animals- again, including the human variety- typically end up being more confident, trusting and willing to please when brought along using praise and repetition and other positive conditioning techniques.

As this is a traditional ARCHERY site, and in that I am probably boring 14,000 people to tears, please feel free to e-mail me for my phone number if your would like to discuss this topic in detail. The main point that I would like 98 percent of those contemplating buying a (tracking) dog to consider is that for most of US, virtually any dog can be turned into an awesome hunting companion by relying on the training "tools" of praise, repetition, and the WELL-TIMED use of the word "NO!"

Leave the shock collars to the pros.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: December 13, 2007, 06:53:00 PM »
Heres my big boy he has been trained on blood a little but I don't have the time to do a proper job of it.  That being said he has that want to please attitude and will pretty much do what I ask of him.  Quick story, my twin daughters lost one their turtles outside and were a little distraught.  Taking a chance I let Dakota smell the other turtle still in the pen and in about 10 minute I was able to come walking in the door with the lost turtle.  I'm also just using this thread to try and post my first pic.      [/IMG]
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: December 13, 2007, 06:55:00 PM »
Joebuck:

Here's one of my Labs, Dakota, who was NOT force fetched? Does it look like he suffered for it?

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: December 13, 2007, 06:59:00 PM »
Next try  
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2007, 07:27:00 PM »
Labs4me..good for you!  I had a notion you weren't a fan of the "force" method because in your avatar your holding the bird instead of the dog holding the bird  :)   congrats on a wonderful loving pet you enjoy hunting with.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©