INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Signed by Fred Bear  (Read 4914 times)

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Signed by Fred Bear
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Shaw:
Wow Nick I like That great piece history. have you shot it yet     ;)  
Thanks Mike.

Of course I have shot it!!! I couldn't resist. A few arrows down range and I put it out to pasture on the bow rack!

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
Thanks guys for sharing all the COOL signed items.I do not have any bows signed by Fred,but was fortunate enough to have sat down with him in 1988' (3 months later he passed away) in LasVegas just he & I for about 15 minutes behind the scenes at BEAR ARCHERY booth at S.H.O.T. show and he signed a luggage tag for me that is my prized possesion, it sits next to one of his Personal name tags and 2 8x10's he inscribed to me years ago.
  Will try to get picture posted. Keep those PICS comin of your signed FB stuff.
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
Les Line was a dear friend of Fred Bear and helped Fred and Bear Archery as a whole quite a bit being the editor of the Audobon Society magazine. He is mentioned in several books also, I believe Bob Mungers book and Dick Lattimer's latest book.
Here's the signed bow Fred gave Les Line in 1987 at Grousehaven. Fred also personally took the bow rack off the wall in the main lodge at Grousehaven and gave it to him. This is the last bow besides Fred Bear's personal bow that hung on the bow rack at the famed Grousehaven Hunting Camp. To think who's bow hung on this very rack, I was honored to recieve it. By the way, Les Line gave it to me, no money exchanged.
The accompanying letters attest to their authenticity and were gifts from our Beloved Papa Bear. It is my intention to hunt with this very special bow this year.
Note:
If you look closely, you will see that the laminations in the riser are quite thick and the shelf is real close to the hand. Also the limbs with this bow were still being made with phenolic wedges. This is typical of the early Florida handles. The quality control was excellent with Papa Bear wandering through the factory!!!

"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »
I had a green stripe "B" riser signed by Pappa Bear and Frank Scott.  Frank signed it about three months before he passed away.  I passed it along it to another TradGang member.

I do have a Brown Bear Compound signed by Fred but if I post it here I will be accused of heresey and banned from the board...LOL
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline zepnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »
1953 Grizzly and 1965 Kodiak

Offline Moooseran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
Frank Scott wife Elly stopped at plant to do some shooting. Changed shoes and went out to the range. After finding her shooting session came back in changes shoe again and lo and behold Fred had sighed the bottom of her shoes.
Also I found the book that Fred signed to Frank.
The book is Fred Bears Field Notes. The problem with the book is you can't read it. Some of the very first editions were together with pages up side down and in the wrong places. Nothing makes sense with these first editions ( don't know how many were released). Fred turned the book upside down an wrote Frank: Don't let anyone tell you different, this right side up. Also added his stickbowman to the page.

moose

Offline Moooseran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
My typing sucks and I forget some of the words I need to use.
should read after ending her session.
should read came back in to change shoe's again
should read this is right side up.

I'm getting better.................lol

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by zepnut:
1953 Grizzly and 1965 Kodiak

Norm. Wow!
Thank you so much for sharing those wonderful bows you have. I really do look forward to seeing you again.......Philip
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Moooseran:
Frank Scott wife Elly stopped at plant to do some shooting. Changed shoes and went out to the range. After finding her shooting session came back in changes shoe again and lo and behold Fred had sighed the bottom of her shoes.
Also I found the book that Fred signed to Frank.
The book is Fred Bears Field Notes. The problem with the book is you can't read it. Some of the very first editions were together with pages up side down and in the wrong places. Nothing makes sense with these first editions ( don't know how many were released). Fred turned the book upside down an wrote Frank: Don't let anyone tell you different, this right side up. Also added his stickbowman to the page.

moose
That's a great story moose! Would be great if you could post some pics. I hope your feeling better. I think of you all the time since we last spoke.......Philip
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2011, 03:36:00 PM »
Great stuff, the gentleman may be gone, but never forgotten.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2011, 12:27:00 AM »
Hello again.
Today I decided to visit the shoot at Whittingham in NJ. Was a last minute decision and I arrived nearly noon. The event was winding down and pretty much about over. I met a friend or 2 and talked and played with vintage-bears ofcourse.
Anyway, I went into the main lodge where folks had some tables and bows and all that good stuff. Stopped to say hello to one of the used bow dealers that I've known for a long time. While talking, I look over his shoulder and see a signed bear T/D. My first thought was to look away and forget that I saw it.
Yea right, me look away.......

I had no intention of buying anything this day but I could not help myself. Well we settled on a price and here she is. Another doll held and signed by Papa Bear.
The bow is an early florida handle B-3421, with the thick lams. You can immediately feel the weight difference between the early and late green stripe handles.

Had an old leather grip on it and owner had quiver inserts nicely installed. terrific shape overall.

Got home, removed the grip and she cleaned up beautifully!

TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
Very nice love that Green stripe
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
Philip, I've seen that bow.  Good find.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline Chuck_Delsandro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
Loving this thread.
" It's not the breath you take, it's the moments that take your breath away"

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
Just recieved this dealer plaque that I bought from Eb^^ auction. Very faded is handwritten "R&H archery" I think. Barely visible.
It is beautiful, near mint.
Signed by Fred Bear..........Philip

TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »
Great photos guys, thanks for sharing.

Offline Barry Rowland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
Love those items!  Fred sure knew how to live; I can't say I ever remember seeing anything with him in it not smiling and enjoying life.  Beautiful bows and what a fish!!
Barry

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2011, 05:26:00 PM »
Mine are pretty mundane, a signed copy of his "Field Notes" I picked up in a used bookstore for cheap.

And an initialed and hand written pass to the museum in Grayling written on the back of a post card with he and his Grizzly. This was the bookmark left in the book.

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2011, 06:37:00 PM »
reddogge-That is a great find,especially in a used book store.And the museum pass bookmark is the icing on the cake.That's better than paying an arm and a leg for something signed by Fred.Very nice find.

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
Richard,
 That postcard is way cool!!!

Thanks for sharing, Nick

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©