INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Welcomed a Hornet to the old hive today.  (Read 519 times)

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
Welcomed a Hornet to the old hive today.
« on: April 27, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »
My first opportunity to see, hold and shoot a Cravotta Bros. Black Hawk Hornet (or any other of their "canted" grip versions).

Gotta say for being made in 58.......she's a looker. 61 inches (belly measured) and 43@28. Just right for us old folks!

Pardon the poor photos and first timer strike plate. Added one of Trap's feather rest (yeah, I realized I put the rest on backwards at first.   :knothead:  I think? lol) and a new flemish sting is on the way.

God Bless
Steve

"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Welcomed a Hornet to the old hive today.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 06:05:00 AM »
That's a neat little bow Steve!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Chuck_Delsandro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 06:08:00 AM »
Awesome Hornet. I have one that is beat to heck but still shoots well.
" It's not the breath you take, it's the moments that take your breath away"

Offline 4406v

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 07:29:00 AM »

Here's a Blackhawk Hornet Special and Apollo
 both from 1964 with thumbrest style grips.

Check out all the crazy laminations

Offline Gila Mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
Wow! Is that Hornet from '58? That looks like a really nice bow! It shows much better wood and workmanship than my '58 Yellow Jacket. You've got a real keeper!

Mike
"Hunt ethically and in fair chase. You'll know the feeling when you have done it right!"  .......(Glenn St. Charles, Bows on the Little Delta)

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
I kind of miss mine. I gave my 44# Hornet to a 13yr. old kid at Denton Hill last year because his osage self-bow split at the nock. Hope to find another one some day, they are really nice shooters.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
LOVE shooting this bow!

Through the help of a GREAT person and L O N G time friend, a Blackhawk Chief, another of the "crooked leather grip" versions will be on the way next week. 9 lbs heavier and while unsure of the length it appears around 65-66 inches long and a year older than the Hornet.

A short note.

This friend has been there through thick and thin for me, when my family was not, for a long long time.

So I did not clutter up the multiple sites much I put a post in the LW classifieds for him and also add this short request to you here.

62 years young and BRAND new to archery of any kind and hooked to the gizzard on Trad!

SO many things are out there for a new trad shooter and while I have sent what I can, and some I really couldnt afford, he is eager for input and anything recommended by experienced shooters.

I, realizing I DO NOT KNOW IT ALL, lol, put an ad there on the LW (and this post here) for assistance from the brotherhood of Traditional Archery to search their hearts and hoard of stuff we all have to considering anything you feel you can part with to point a new trad shooter, and soon to be hunter in the right direction.

I sent a LB and he picked up a recurve, and I sent a bitz, feathers, nocks a few field points and a tab. Quickly another great trad member is sending him some used shooting gloves to try. One of our GREAT members and arrow makers sent him a half dozen custom arrows to try as well.

The door is open on some small object you feel you would part with to feed the traditional hunger in a truly SUPER guy and even better friend.

A single broadhead you have faith in (he often discusses single bevel and double, head weights, widths etc.
Silencers, etc, anything used but still functioning of a type of tool, equipment, aid that you feel would be helpful in his consideration for his own set up.....is GREAT.

Remember THIS IS ALL TOTALLY NEW TO HIM. Imagine his thoughts on all of this!!

While READING the threads, reports etc is great and I often send some from all of you that I feel is of educational value but there is no better education than trying them himself.

Contact me there thru that ad or here should you feel willing to help out his education and I will forward his name and address.

Feel free to include perhaps a short note of WELCOME to Tradtional Archery!

Regardless if you can share, or not.....God Bless! (with many thanks in advance!)

PS.......ALL will come as a huge surprise to him...he HAS NO CLUE I HAVE POSTED THESE REQUESTS.      :goldtooth:

Mods, give me a head's up if this is unexceptable or allowable as a duplicate in "PowWow".
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©