INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Prototype BH's  (Read 823 times)

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
Prototype BH's
« on: May 03, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
Hi everyone,
Here is an email I got today from a friend of mine, I will post pictures as soon as I get them

..."He's also got boxes full of prototype broadheads from Bear and Whiffen, also Whiffens prototype releases from the late 60s.  And a bunch of other stuff. I'm gonna try and get him to get me pictures or get me the stuff and I'll photo it and send it to you. Or do you think we should go to the Collectors Forum? Not sure how much you know about the accesories. I'm sure its a lot of junk, but who knows, we might find gold in there somewhere.

Again, I can't remember his father in laws last name but its Bob something, but not the one that you mentioned. But he said he used to field test for Fred Bear, then write up reviews and send the bow on to Norm somebody for chrono testing, then they'd all write up the results for Archery World. This could be some cool ****. He then worked for Whiffen (here in Milwaukee) for awhile too. He really just wants to make sure this ends up in a good collection for somebody who cares about it, which is cool."...

I appreciate your help Kurt, let me know if you have your eye on any of those bows..............

He has some neat bows Howatts/Roots/Bears I am waiting for more info and will post more info as I get it.
   :bigsmyl:   I am excited I am already getting a Phil Grable Golden Eagle and a old Earnie Root to shoot for a bit

The owner was giving my buddy some antlers because he knows he makes knife handles out of them and threw the bows in the truck, just in case he wanted them!! then he told him about the stuff he left behind!!! WOW

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Prototype BH's
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
wowsir I'd love to see those PT broadheads bd

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 02:08:00 PM »
Here is the next email

"So I talked to Bruce, his father in law's name was Bob Skiera (so Polish the "ski" is in front of his name he says, haha) And the chrono guy he sent stuff to was Norm Mulaney (sp?) I told him to bring in the heads and stuff as soon as he can, we'll get some pictures. This is fun, way better than working."

Does anyone recognize those names?

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
This is gonna be a great info topic.   :coffee:   my favorite hunting bow is a Larry Whiffen comet. Thanks for sharing the topic. Cant wait my self for pics ect. Thx Warberg

Offline MrBowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 04:34:00 PM »
The name is actually spelled: Norb Mullaney, he has tested bows for all the major manufacturers for more than 40 yesrs and continues to do so to this day. A virtual wealth of bow knowledge.
Brian

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
:coffee:    :coffee:    :coffee:

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
Thanks Brian

I hope Jared shows up and tells this story... if not I will keep posting as he sends me more info...

Warberg, any hope you could post a picture of a Whiffen Comet? there are a couple of unknown bows in his pictures.
I have some pics of the bows, but I have to wait to upload them to photobucket before posting

Offline jared s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
Hey guys. Hate to get too worked up before I see what he has, but it sounds like a pretty neat collection. Should be educational if nothing else.

Not much more to the story than what Kurt has relayed. My co-worker Bruce's father in law has been in the archery world for a long time, as was his own dad. He has quite a collection of stuff handed down to him and he's trimming down what he has stored in his basement. He knew I was a fellow trad archery guy so he asked if I had any interest in it. He's actually been asking me about it for a couple of months, but I've been so busy working out of town, I hadn't had a chance to check it out till he just brought a bunch of bows in to work yesterday.

Like Kurt said, a pretty good little pile of bows, a couple kids bows, some beat up, spray bombed Roots and Shakespeares. But also a Howatt Hi-Speed in really nice shape, a 70s Kodiak Hunter in good shape, the Golden Eagle Pro Line, a nice lefty Wing.

The real treasures might be in the accessories though if he really has any prototypes. I'll keep you updated. I don't have the luxury of Tradgang at work like Kurt does   :D  but I'll send him any pictures if theres anything that looks too exciting to wait.
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."
Ferris Bueller

Offline jared s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
Oh, also Kurt, I got some more tape off the bow with the rasp work on the grip, its another Shakespeare.
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."
Ferris Bueller

Offline jared s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
Thanks for correcting me on Norb Mullany's name Brian.

He's still around and working? Is he in the Milwaukee area? You and I are practically neighbors.

Jared
Ferris Bueller

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
I got some more tape off the bow with the rasp work on the grip ?????????????????? yikes I hope thats a joke ? your really not removeing tape with a rasp ? are you ? bd

Offline MrBowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
Jared,
  Yes, Norb is still around, he lives on Milwaukees far north side. He is in his 80's now but still very active with his bow testing. He still writes a Tech column for WBH's Bowhunter magazine and serves with me on The Wisconsin Bowhunting Heritage Foundation Board of Directors (museum).
Do you attend any of the local Trad. shoots? We just had one out at Ojibwa Bowhunters this last weekend.
Brian

Offline jared s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 05:48:00 PM »
Sorry there Bowdoc, should have been more clear. One of the bows I didn't know the make of had tape on the riser and limbs, but also someone had gone at the throat of the grip with a rasp at some point in the past. I'm not removing tape with a rasp, even I'm not that ham fisted.   :)  

Brian, Thats interesting about Mr. Mullany. Did you know Bob as well? I used to shoot a lot more than lately, and mostly at Ojibwa. I've been having some shoulder problems so I've been playing more with the muzzleloaders than bows lately.

Jared
Ferris Bueller

Offline jared s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
So I got the box of accesories and broadheads and have started sifting through it. It seems that what my friend was refering to as broadhead prototypes were existing heads that Bob was altering the shape of himself, maybe a bit of an anti-climax. If nothing else, my broadhead collection will get a boost, I've counted at least 25 different heads so far.

There's also a lot of sight accessories, plus a big bag of homemade releases he was experimenting with. Interesting to say the least.

Like I said, I'll keep digging, take some pictures and post them later tonight hopefully. There's a couple heads I don't recognize in here for sure, but I'm far from an expert.

Jared
Ferris Bueller

Offline jared s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
Ok so heres a start on the broadheads. The first picture is pretty routine stuff I recognized, Razorheads, Zwickys, Deadhead, Snuffers, Steelforce, MA-2, MA-3 in different sizes, Hill Hornet, and various Bodkins sizes and serrated/unserrated.

Ferris Bueller

Offline jared s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
A couple more, Black Copperhead Slicer, Ripper and Target; Hilbre, Lancer and Sabre.

Ferris Bueller

Offline jared s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »
Ok, now to the ones I might need some help on. I think the replaceable blade on the far left is a Satillite if I remeber? The rest I dont know and are unmarked. Especially different is the "space shuttle". Haven't seen that one before.

Ferris Bueller

Offline jared s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
Now here's something you don't see everyday. These are Bob's prototype releases. Now I'm not a release guy, but these are still kinda cool, he did a lot of different stuff, and tried a lot of materials.

Theres wood, plastic, brass, aluminum, steel and some stuff I can't identify. Oh, and the bag had a nice Bear belt buckle in there to boot.   :D  

Ferris Bueller

Offline jared s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
Without getting too picture heavy here, here's some of the odds and ends sights and stuff rattling around in the box:

And some clout points (?)

Ferris Bueller

Offline jared s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
Oh and why not a couple of the bows for good measure.

Golden Eagle Pro Line

Purty little Howatt Hi Speed

Bear Ranger

Lefty Wing

Ferris Bueller

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©