INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Questions about Damon/Howatt Hi-Speed  (Read 1355 times)

Offline crgibson

• Trad Bowhunter
Questions about Damon/Howatt Hi-Speed
« on: May 04, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
Hi all,
 It was suggested I move my Post over here.
A friend gave this to me last Winter Damon/Howatt Hi-Speed 58" 51# @ 28" Stout little thing.
Has had some holes drilled out for sights and quiver should these be filled? Do I pad and shoot off the shelf or add flipper type arrow rest? Whats the best?, Starting point for brace height its at 7 1/4" from string to deepest part in grip,If I was to make a new string (Flemish Twist) do I need a high performance string material? Or can I use my B-50 polyester? Best arrows? I have some Autumn Orange 2215 cut to 29.5 BOP 175gr point boy they sizzle and I have Easton carbon 500 30.5 BOP 145gr seem to work alright got any better arrow combo suggestions?

Thanks for Looking and your Help, Chuck....  Is the HS and numbers year and maker info.?

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Questions about Damon/Howatt Hi-Speed
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 04:04:00 PM »
Yes, the HS is for Hi-Speed, the first number in the ser.# (3) is the last digit of the year (1963, 1973, 1983) Pretty sure the curved stripe is '63. I have a '72 54". Awsome bows. And you definately want to stick with the B50.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
You can add a strikeplate and rug and shoot off the shelf or you could put a feather rest on it or you could put a self adhesive brush rest on it. You will have to see what you like best. I am using mostly feather rest these days but used to use brush rests. There is a guy named Trap that makes awesome feather rests that are the best.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 12:34:00 PM »
You said it's stout, Alot of Howatts were about 3-5# heavier than marked. Throw it on a scale and I bet you'll find that is the case.Most definitely stay away from the fastflite with that bow if you like it. I have a Hunter and really like it. Howatt made some mighty smooth and quick bows. Mine is a 55#@28 and it's 59# at my 29 1/4" draw. I shoot both the 2213 and 2215's out of it and they fly fine. I also use an elevated rest.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline seboomook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
Rich is dead on, I researched old threads and found the curved accent riser dates from '72-'75.
I've got a '72 hi-speed and '74 hunter model from that era.
Great bows, natural pointing with nice grips.

Offline crgibson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 01:25:00 AM »
Thanks Guys, I liked the sound of 1963 but nothing wrong with 1972. added a black leather strikeplate and rug made out of something from my wifes sew kit white with sticky back, works good looks perfect.

Crg

Offline Howattfan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 02:14:00 AM »
Curved riser stripe was used in 72,73,74, and 75. Yours is 1973 version for sure.
"Even when troubled, maintain the spirit of the bow and arrow and it will heal your sickness".

Offline crgibson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »
Thanks for the the dates guys, A pic of black leather strikeplate and rug I added. Black leather from a old purse and some kind of white sticky back pad.

Any advice on brace heights im at 7 1/2" now from string to deepest part in grip?

Thanks, Crg

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©