INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: What are Sweetland arrows worth?  (Read 898 times)

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
What are Sweetland arrows worth?
« on: May 05, 2011, 01:24:00 AM »
OK, Terry has posted on Pow Wow that he has eliminated the "what's it worth" rule, so I would like some input from some of you familiar with the Bill Sweetland forgewood arrows.  I'd like specifics, since I already know "they're worth what someone will pay."

Not long ago I picked up a couple dozen Sweetland arrows.  One dozen is 29" BOP, spined 45-50#, 5/16", and weigh a little over 600 gr.

The other dozen is full length, spined 95-100#, 11/32", and weigh about 750-800 gr.

Anyone care to report on some transactions you know about.
Lon Scott

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What are Sweetland arrows worth?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 05:30:00 AM »
I saw Terry's post so let me be one of the first to test the water...I've seen Bill arrows sell for as high as 10.00 per shaft but just last night 12 compressed cedar arrow sold for a final of 51.00 so somewhere in there 50.00 something to 100.00 something bd

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »
The diameter seems kinda big for the spines listed.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
Charlie, can you explain more?   :confused:  

Was that not standard sizes for his arrow shafts?  It seems to me that a 11/32" shaft is not "kinda big" for a 100# spined arrow.  :dunno:
Lon Scott

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
I have Sweetlands in three diameters, and your 1st batch may be 9/32, it is sometimes difficult to measure so precisely as even dipping adds to the diameter; in any event I have paid 6-10 dollars a shaft for unfinished shafting in that range. Additionally I paid 90 dollars for 9 finished arrows in the 9/32 size that were 55# and 50 dollars for 9 tapered 9/32 shafts that were 60#. I got 12 70# shafts that are 5/16 by my measure and they were 7 dollars a shaft.
In the case of the second batch- 11/32  paid 120 dollars for 12 finished arrows, and thought that was a good deal. Hope that helps.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »
Lon,

I have seen finished arrows go as high as $200 for a doz. Have seen a doz shafts go as high as $150. Guess it depends on how bad someone wants them. Best wood arrow shaft ever made in my opinion.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 05:09:00 PM »
At the time I found these at a garage sale, I actually got 3 dozen.  When I showed them to a local archer in my club, he offered $200 for a dozen.  I was somewhat reluctant to sell thinking that was pretty high.  He insisted they were worth it and paid it...and he still loves them.  I believe he would have bought them all if they had been the right spine for him.
Lon Scott

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 07:37:00 AM »
that was a good sale there Lon great arrows bd

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »
Just got 10 shafts on **** for 47 bucks shipped. Very happy with the deal.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
I missed 11 two weeks ago ended up at 51 bucks free shipping.That hurt bd

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
Ya'll make me SICK!!  LOL.

Dang...... you guys have........DOZENS?

Ive got three STRICTLY due to the kindness of one of our members and all but my tonkin cane just "dont make the grade" anymore.

DID find it kind interesting that the three I have are not only the same diameter 9/32-5/16 (or close) to my Tonkin cane but are heavier (I messed up weighing the tonkins earlier) but not to the degree I would have thought. I do know there are some VERY heavy Sweetlands out there.

Dang Bill did a bang up job on some SUPER dang shafts. This was my first chance to see or have any.  

***A head's up on even a few Sweetlands available that anyone may not want/need would be IMMENSELY appreciated!***

God Bless!
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
Very good find, Lon.  I've managed to collect several dozen over the years.  I concur with what the others have said regarding value/price.  In the end, though, it does boil down to what someone is willing to pay for them. Of course, the more universally usable the spine/weight and length, the more popular they will be and the more folks will be willing to spend for them.

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
I've got at least 4 or 5 dozen I guess.  Not at all tempted to sell them, but might swap some for a rosewood Wilson Bros Widow HB or HF in the right weight.

Several years ago I found 3 or 4 dozen on **** and all of them had 1950 Zwickey eskimos with head shrinkers.  That was exciting!
Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©