INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Need help with a Ben Pearson bow  (Read 440 times)

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
Need help with a Ben Pearson bow
« on: May 07, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
I acquired a Ben Pearson Cougar to use with the neighbor kids as an introductory bow.  On the lower limb face, there is a Pearson logo with a catamount image and the label 706-64".  The handle is inscribed 06-22107 , and xx45#-28".

?#1:  The string that came with the bow is only 58 inches in length (measured on the bow while strung)  This give a brace hight of nearly nine inches, which seems high to me.  The limb tips are recurved, but not nearly as much a my old Howatt, and there are no string grooves on the face of the limb tips.  Sooooo---do I need a longer string? Any one know the recommended brace hight for this bow?

?#2:  Does anyone know if this bow was tillered for an elevated rest or for shelf shooting?  The shelf is flat (no radius)---and the wood on the strike plate shows a "shadow" of a typically shaped strike plate, but I have no way of knowing if it was original.

Any experienced help would be appreciated.  
Thanks--
Bruce
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need help with a Ben Pearson bow
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
I believe you should have a 60" (actual length) string and get your brace height down to 7 1/2" +_. I have several Ben Pearsons and they all shoot best and are most quiet around that brace height. I haven't found one yet that didn't shoot better for me with an elevated rest. I like Pearsons and always have and a Mercury Hunter and a Mercury Maurader TD are my go to bows, but I have a Mustang that is a mighty fine shooting bow also.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
That's a 64" bow so you need a 60" string. I suspect it will take an 8" brace height or there abouts.

Those bows and those days didn't get tillered for anyting in particular. More than likely a bow was tillered in relationship to the balance point/center  of the bow and know thought given to type or location of the rest.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 10:05:00 AM »
Thanks for the help guys---no one from Ben Pearson has yet responded to my inquiries---corporate lethargy I expect.

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
Most likely it is because it is not a compound:-(

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
One thing no one else has mentioned is that the Cougar is a "Semi-recurve" while your Howatt is a full recurve.  The string is not supposeed to touch the limb except at the string notches, that's why there is no string groove on the belly side.  

Cougars were more of a target bow rather than a hunting bow so it was designed for a side rest like a hoyt flex rest, pro rest, or others.

It should be a solid shooter and perfect for a young man just starting out.

Good for you for helping a new traditional archer into the sport.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
If it doesn't work out as a shooter for the boy you could always use it as a wading staff to cross those cold Northern California rivers.

Guys have been known to get a wet arse every now and then   :laughing:  

Hope all is well out that way Bruce.

Shep
"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
All is well, the rivers are high and swift, but starting to clear. And yes, I have fallen in most of them.     ;)   I hope to take a young man turkey hunting this week.  Our local bowshop owner donated some broadheads---we get them mounted and sharpened last week.  And the surgeon finally cleared me to draw my bow, but I expect I will mainly be calling.   :pray:
Thanks everyone for the info.

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
FYI
I received a pleasant reply from Ben Pearson's staff.

Recommended 60 inch string---and 7- 71/2 inch brace height.
Also off the shelf----but I already put a Dura-Flip on so I will start with that.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©