INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 56" 59 kodiak up for auction  (Read 501 times)

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
56" 59 kodiak up for auction
« on: May 11, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
you collectors...I,m a lefty and see a righty on the big site ..item # 130519779505 serial number is DB not AA why ?

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 56" 59 kodiak up for auction
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 02:18:00 PM »
I seen it thats a odd duck ahh ? bd

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by trubltrubl:
you collectors...I,m a lefty and see a righty on the big site ..item # 130519779505 serial number is DB not AA why ?
trubltrubl -

The bow is refinished, thus the lettering you are looking at is not the original lettering and likely not even the original numbers that were put on the bow at the factory.

All original 56" 1959 Kodiaks that I have owned and seen have has an AA serial number.

I doubt if the overlays are original. I have never seen cobbled up riser overlays on an original 1959 Kodiak like this bow has...

I have also never seen riser overlay extend as far up the limb as these extend...

It appears that only thing original on this bow is the leather grip, which seems to be in poor condition.

Doc - Looks like a project bow for you to straighten out...
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
good to know for future thanks..incase a lefty ever shows up......

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
That is a funky looking overlay....

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
well said Wade thats a basket case for sure.The lettering is a dead give away there is no way that's factory lettering on that bow bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
no problem boys the bowdoc is on the job today.I just cracked the code on this rare bird for you.Please note there are no pics of the bow full length OK ? you know why ? because I believe that was a 60" 1959 and someone cut the limb tips off and made a 56"er out of it.Email the seller and ask to see pics of the full bow unstrung.I'll bet the recurve is missing.That would also explain the serial number being a 60" rather then the double A as it should have on it.Any takers of said bet today ? bd

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »
BD You are on it today didja' get some sorta special wake up?
I just lined up a 56" and a 60" there is a variation in the sight window length, the lower part of the riser is longer, and a fair bit at the ends where the 60" curls up a lot more than the 56" bow. Once you whack off the end to make a 56" bow the difference to most people would be subtle. The guy selling the bow may not even know it is a fake. (assuming it is)

:bigsmyl:     Wade didja' measure the MSW 56" bow you got?

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
and for 6 bills BJ I ai'nt gonna be the one to find out eather ai'nt gonna be happen for the bowdoc

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »
I got him to post pics of the other side of the tips and a full length view of the bow. It wasn't shortened.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »
Uh, isn't that just a 60" bow?
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »
I wonder now if they just measured the bow from tip to tip which is about 56" but when measured correctly along the contour of the bow its really 60".Hey someone buy the darn thing so we can find out whats going down ??? bd

Offline NumPls

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
Don, you might be right about the incorrect measurement. I made some "quick" checks for relative sizing, and this bow appears that it might actually be a 60"-er. But, then, there is the problem of the serial number. The DB prefix corresponds to 64" bows, but this one does not seem to be a 64" bow (and, that makes the 56" "length" harder to understand). However, if the serial number had originally been BB664, and the gold ink had faded badly so that the lead B looked like a D, then that would explain the incorrect serial number for a 60" bow.

Finally, the serial number is written on the "wrong side" of the bow (on the coin side) - I have never seen a RH 59 Kodiak with the writing on the coin side. So, if the refinish & writing were done by someone who did not understand the usual location to write the info, it may be that same someone did not realize how to measure the length of the bow, so he measured on a straight line from tip-to-tip.

Ah, mysteries are such fun!

Ray

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©