INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Fred Bear Sharpening Files  (Read 853 times)

Offline 69RECURVE

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Fred Bear Sharpening Files
« on: May 16, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
OK, What is the significance between a Fred Bear file set that came with the sheath, knife and stone he sold back in the day with a Grey handle vs. a Brown handle?

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Bear Sharpening Files
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
Was just thinking the same thing from what I have seen in the last few days they aint cheap.
 ,,,,,Sam,,,,,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
NOTHING it depends on who's buying that day.......you know the old saying sometimes you feel like a well you know where this ones headed bd

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
I believe the first handles were brown, the white and gray came along later
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline 69RECURVE

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
I beleive the "Fred Bear Bowhunter's Kit" first appeared for sale in 1963 and sold for $9.95 with a file.
Heck you could buy the file by itself for a buck!!!
I just did not know what the significance of the different handle colors until Earl explained it.
Thanks
Andy

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 01:12:00 AM »
There's a mint set on the BIG auction site now.
  :readit:  .......philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 03:47:00 AM »
I believe the first handles were gray then the brown was later.Brown became the standard and was stock in the BHK's and file only with sheath bd

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »
The first Bowhunters Kit stone,knife & file sets showed up in the 1957 Bear catalog as catalog # K-100.I have a knife set in the original box,unused that I got from a gentleman that was a Bear dealer back then.He had saved it all these years.It has no running bear emblem on the sheath and it does have a file with a brown handle.I also have another early set in the original box,unused that I got from another source and it too has a brown handled file so I would guess that the first files came with the brown handles and the grey and white handles came along later.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
Fred Bear's earliest knife, file and stone sets appeared long before 1957,... There are many 1940s to 1956 hunting photographs of Fred that clearly prove this statement.

Those 1940s to 1956 file handles were simply tape wrapped around the file end or wood.

Bear made some pre-1957 Bowhunters Kits that are similar to the 1957 Bowhunters Kit Sheath, but different and more labor intensive and with a different knife and different size stone. According to now deceased friends, Fred had two dozen of these particular kits made. I have only ever seen two of them. The one I have is in excellent condition, the other one I have seen is in poor condition. Both were given to friends of Fred's. One rare color photograph exists that clearly shows this pre-1957 knife file and stone set on Fred's belt.

Both known pre-1957 examples are stamped with the well known running bear logo.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »
I guess I should have been more specific in my last post.What I meant to say was that the first Bowhunter's Kit offered in the Bear Archery catalog to the public was in the 1957 Bear catalog and not in the 1963 catalog as 69RECURVE had stated.My bad.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 12:06:00 AM »
John - Really wanted to the make the point that the running Bear Logo was stamped into the leather of the pre-1957 Bowhunters Kit.

It would be a mistake for anyone to believe that the original Bowhunters Kits were not stamped with the running bear logo.

The 1957 kit you have that is not stamped was obviously one that simply missed the stamping process.

Mistakes happen when humans are doing the work.

The running bear logo was stamped into nearly all bear leather goods for many years prior to 1957, including the examples cited of the pre-1957 Bowhunters Kit.

Also files with different handles can easily be moved from kit to kit years after they were made, so in recent times, any vintage kit could be found with any color file handle.

In order to prove which color was made first, the best evidence would be actual photographs with known dates.

That being said, proponents of the brown, white and gray handles as being first, can submit evidence to support their statements...

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
I have a 3 kits, 1 has "Bear" stamped in script about an 1" lower then the 1 with the running Bear  , they also cut down on the stitching that goes around the belt loop, took away the metal knife sleeve and put in the bigger knife 648A. It has a white file handle and the lower end is made with dark brown leather. The third kit is one of 2 doz. that where made for friends and that one is a work of art, Wade that's 3 (cool).

Does anyone else have the kit with the Bear in script with the bigger knife?

.........Hink
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 12:24:00 AM »
Bill - Glad you got that pre-1957 Kit. I haven't seen it, so had to say that I have only seen two. After I see yours, I can change the 2 to a 3.

The sheath stamped with "Bear" in script and the less labor intensive sheath, was made later and in my experience, is more common than the 1957 model.

I have seen many slightly different variations such as different colored leather and the leather cut at different angles for the belt loop etc. Have never tried to keep track of all the minor variations I've seen.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 07:45:00 AM »
WTF does'nt anyone have a camera any more ? I'am charging my bat-tree right now and will post a pic of my bowhunter kit how's about you hosers doen the same and we'll see what we come up with ? thats what the collecters forum is for bd

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
Doc -

My camera is on the Fritz and I just got a new computer hooked up to replace the old one, so I'm doing good right now just to be able to sign on to this thread.  

John -

Remember seeing the two Bowhunters Kits you have in the original boxes. Very nice indeed.

Do your boxes have the tan cardboard protective slip covers with black lettering, similar to the slip covers found on the 1950s Bear Razorhead boxes?

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 12:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by the real bowdoc:
WTF does'nt anyone have a camera any more ? I'am charging my bat-tree right now and will post a pic of my bowhunter kit how's about you hosers doen the same and we'll see what we come up with ? thats what the collecters forum is for bd
Donnie,
Here's my bowhunter kit that I hunt with.
Signed by Glen St.Charles and Frank Scott
>>>-----> Philip

"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 05:52:00 AM »
and then and then and then you showed me yours I'll show you mine bd ..........  

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »
Doc -

Just may have these images figured out on the new computer...

Have you ever used one of these old Bear Bow Refinishing Kits ??? Catalog # D-450

Note bow illustrated is the 1959/1960 Kodiak...

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 07:00:00 AM »
seen the same box Wade but never had a chance to even look in the box.But what a great idea a little bow repair kit bd

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
Doc -

The most interesting items remaining in the Bear Bow Refinishing Kit D-450 box were the one and a half pages of Instructions.

As you might guess, Bear's refinishing instructions are a lot different than your refinishing instructions ...

To the right side is a Bear Bowhunters Kit in the original box, with original clear cover and with its original protective sleeve partially off, similar in construction to the Bear Razorhead boxes of the era.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©